Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Yes, I'm trying to resist the temptation to not get on the scale every day and I did stay off it Tuesday and Wednesday and then was so pleased to see it go down on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and today, I couldn't believe it. I'll try to be good and only weigh every other day but no promises!

I did good today because I packed my own Easter meal and took it to my Mom's house. It was mentally hard watching them eat a favorite meal of mine and me not have any. My Mom even offered a little taste of this dessert that looked so good but I bit my tongue and said no thanks. She said, are you sure you don't want some... Don't you love mothers who like to feed you! Anyway, I stuck to plan and now I'm home in my 'safe' zone of my own house away from those Easter goodies.

I went to church this morning and felt fine and have been out driving myself around little bits and things so I'm pleased with my energy level which I have to say is due to keeping the Protein and fluids up because it isn't calories.

Greg, I know how hungry we are starting to get, and that liquids are starting to get old---really old, but please be careful. I would hate for you to have come all this way, and end up with something stuck, or a slip, just because of a little food. Believe me, Easter has been really hard. I have made Cookies with the kids, twice, and now they each have three baskets of yummy candy that I am tempted with...but I am trying to keep my eye on the prize. Heck, I get to start mushies on Wednesday, and who would have thought that was exciting?!?! You guys are just a few days behind me...so hang in the man, we will all get through this TOGETHER!

Niki, Thanks for the pep talk ... it's just that my logical mind (I was a math major) keeps thinking, "There's no restriction yet - nothing will get stuck - what can it hurt?" But I keep forgetting that the "what can it hurt" attitude is what got me where I am today - eating too much. And I think the liquids and mushies are more for the digestive system to get back to normal after surgery, as well as getting us into better habits of smaller portions, etc. I need to stay focused on "why" I got this surgery, stick to the regimen - and keep my eye on the long term goal. Thanks again! :wub:

Good Rebound on the liquids attitude Greg! I was a math major in college also...I do the same logical thinking, analyze things to death, so just trusting my band and the whole process is a learning experience. I'm heading back to work Wednesday at 8am so hope all is going well for you all.

WORK---I am ready to head back, too...but because we lift sx patients, I don't start back til the 11th. I am going to start painting the house this week...I was hoping the weather would be nice so I can open windows, but looks like it might be too cold for that.

Soooo, tomorrow I can start mushies. I am a little nervous about what I am going to make. As much as I am getting sick of the liquids, I have to admit they are easy to follow!

One thing to remember is that even that there is no fill yet, there is still the ring itself which does restrict the stomach. Things can get stuck anyway.

I'm a logical analyzer too. I figured that I knew the size of the band, the size of the stomach walls inside the band. Even without a fill, there isn't much room.

Susan

lost the 10 pounds I gained while studying/taking my test on march 8. Now down 64.

Thanks, Seebs, that's good to know. It helps to have a logical reason (based on facts) not to eat! :)

For those of you who are now banded, did anyone (Dr. Choban, Price or Miller or Nutritionist) every talk to you about gastric bypass or recommend doing that one instead of the band?

Thanks-

I didn't have my initial consult with Dr. Choban until about a month after I was accepted into the program (by which time, I had nearly all of my clearances completed.) She asked me what I wanted to have done, I told her the band, and she said she felt I was a good candidate for it. So she didn't really discuss having a bypass or try to persuade me otherwise. I have heard some people say that their surgeon encouraged the bypass over the band, but ultimately relented once they saw that the patient had done the research and had good foundation for their choice. Personally, I didn't want my innards cut & re-routed, plus my BMI is on the low end of the qualifying range and I don't care if it takes a little longer to lose the weight.

How did you guys make it through your last week before surgery? The words 'clock watching' are an understatement! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, I swear it!!!! I am pretty sure that this is going to be the longest week of my life.

What makes it worse is that I am on a self imposed liquid diet (yeah, I know, crazy ain't I?). Dr. Choban said that being both obese and diabetic, the odds of me having a fatty liver are even higher. I am just so afraid of something going wrong, and them deciding that I can't have the band. So I decided to just bite the bullet, even though I am passed my 10 lb weight loss that Dr. Choban required. I may have small noshs here and there, but I am mostly on Myoplex Protein Drinks, Water, sugar free jellos, and sugar free popsicles. My brother just made a fried bacon sandwich, and I am currently resisting the urge to kill him, lol. My home smells like Sunday morning!

I think that I have just been going at this for so long, jumping hurdle after hurdle, you guys know what I mean. Monday can not come fast enough for me!!!!!!!!

BNLisa, Here's the thing about doing a liquid diet before surgery, once you have the surgery you have to be on liquids another three weeks and you are going to go crazy just doing liquids for that long of a period, I think you should just do a low cal. diet so you don't get tired of liquids so soon after surgery!!!! You can still lose weight and still Chew food, trust me after surgery and you can't have any thing to chew you are going to miss it. One more thing Don't Kill your brother or you'll miss your surgery date:tt2:!

Everyone Keep up the GREAT WORK you guys are doing wonderful!!!!! For everyone going into their mushie foods Idaho makes these instant mush potato that are falvored and they are good, they are in a plastic hard bag. Someone else makes them to and they are just as good, you just add 2 cups of boiling Water.< /p>

NDWife: I was like Greg on the low end of BMI so Dr. Choban never mentioned GB to me, However if LB is what you want go in there with your facts, and let them know LB is what you want and there is no changing your mind, let them know that you know with LB losing weight is slow but in the long run it is much safer IMO!

You know what, you have a really good point. I am just so afraid that I am going to fly off the handle with the whole last supper syndrome and totally derail my progress. Choban had me paranoid when she said that she would cancel the surgery for any weight gain, but with 12 lbs. gone I think I am safe. And thanks for reminding me that dispatching my brother for his bacon violation would make me miss my date, lol. You talked me down, thanks Lady! :sneaky:

Morning everyone! I'm still waiting on a reply from my application, so nothing new to add here. :ohmy: Days seem like weeks when your waiting for something like this.

BNLisa~ How awesome, you are just a few days away from a brand new life. Yeah for you!!! I'll be praying that the time just flys by for ya.

I'm so impressed with how great all the Marchies are doing. I pray I do as well.

Everyone have a blessed day.

I know it sounds tempting to cheat and eat while you're on the diet... and that each Dr's approach to the surgery is different ... but it is designed that way because you're all different.

Patients that have a higher BMI are typically placed on an all liquid diet because they want to make sure your internal organs are prep'd for surgery. Kind of think of it as taking your car in for a maintance check before a long trip. Talk to OH Julie -- she'll fill you in on the benefits of sticking to the prediet.

It's definately a commitment .. but one that I'm sure each of you can make. You aren't losing out on anything ... expect the pounds in the months to come. Chin up .. this will go pretty quick. If you're watching the clock .. get out of the house - go to a museum, go for a walk, go to the library ... change up your regular routine so you're preoccupied with something out of the normal. :ohmy: