Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Debbie - the talk was real general about healthy eating - you are right, nothing I hadn't heard before but I guess going to a support group at the holiday time is good just to get reminded to stay in control as much as you can.

One question they had us work on in small groups was about was making a new holiday tradition not centered around food..

Well, I'm one of those crazy women who love baking and sometimes I'll spend a whole Saturday covered in sugar and flour baking and making fudge for all my family and friends. Not this year... I just don't think I could keep my hands out of them so I'm going to wait until close to the actual holiday, make the fudge I am 'famous' for and give it directly to them and skip all the other baking where its easy to eat 10 'broken' or slightly overbrowned Cookies before you know it. Ha Ha!

Question for you, can you eat a cookie or a piece of fudge and not have a problem with your band? Like does the sugar make you sick?

no, sugar is not a problem. that is one reason i would never get a GB because they cant eat sugar ever again. i want to lose weight but i didnt want to face a life without ever being able to eat a cookie or piece of cake again!!!

the beauty of the band is that i dont want to or feel compelled to eat the whole darn cake!! it is just so much easier to say "no, i dont need that" and not feel deprived.

the band helps me eat like that skinny girl at the office and not like the "clean up" woman i always was.

I have my first Mt. Carmel nutritionist appointment scheduled now for December 18. I'm still waiting for the cardiologist's office to call back with the stress test appointment after more than a week. They said they have to coordinate it with Mt. Carmel so I'm not sure why they just don't give us the phone # to schedule directly with Mt. Carmel on it rather than use the doctor's office as a middle man. Just another hoop to jump thru I guess.

I also had a little extra expense I hadn't thoought I would have. My primary care doctor (PCP) is charging me $50 to pull out my medical chart from a storage facility in order to be able to forward to the surgeon's office the past 5 years history of my weight issues (they check weight and height every appointment) and what they've counseled me over that time about diet and weight. I read from some other Aetna lap band patients that if you've got medically supervised evidence of your BMI for 5 consecutive years, Aetna might approve the surgery without some of the 6 months of nutrition counseling. My PCP has gone totally computerized and sent all the paper charts off site so it costs them to get one back to copy it, send it on to the surgeon, and then send the original chart back out to storage again, thus the $50. Ugh!!! If this $50 saves me 6 months of waiting to get my lap band it will be worth it. With paying $300 administrative fee, then $200 nutritionist fee, and now $50 for PCP records, its adding up for this holiday time of the year. I'm trying to bite the bullet on the money and just remember alot of people don't have insurance to pay any of it, so I'll try to be thankful for that.

Anybody want to share their experience working with Mt. Carmel's nutritionist? I'm doing very careful food journal logging using a web site so I have plenty of detail to show her.

Hey SpecialK, I get to "interview" a new surgeon on the 19th. I am still pretty upset about this. I chose Barix because of the surgeon.... and I felt better knowing that all they do is WLS. I just keep reminding myself that these things happen for a reason.

I will keep your mom and her husband in my prayers. I took care of alzheimers patients for years and I know how hard it is to watch a loved one decline. Its kinda funny but alzheimers pts were my fave. Speaks to my sanity huh?

BTW....I'm about a mile from the mall.

SpecialK, I filled in my food log on the way to my appointment with the nutritionist. ( I was not driving.):biggrin1: She was just basically wanting to see what my problem with food is...sweets or eating to much. Mine is both of course!!! I don't think it has to be perfect..just a general idea. She will suggest that you try not to eat so much and to make better choices. Don't worry, she is not going to recommend that you not have the surgery if your food log is not great! The only people that would try to stop you would be your insurance company... because everyone else is making money from it!:P

i agree with sue. i remember seeing the nutritionist but it was pretty uneventful because i dont recall much about it.

nothing to worry about that is for sure. just another palm to grease on the lapband journey.

i bought a cute size 14 coat at the thrift store today. it doesnt exactly fit but it is my favorite color--rusty orange. i havent worn a 14 anything since i was 14!!!! i just got to lose about 10 pounds of bellyfat and it will fit.

i have been stuck at the same weight for couple weeks. gotta get on the stick here.

Debbie, I too was out shopping this week-end and I too brought something in a size ....14 it was a pair of jeans I am so excited! Isn't it wonderful....... I can't even remember the last time I was a size 14, not to mention buying an x-large shirt or sweater and it looking good on my. I have been stuck on 50 pounds but when I was able to fit into a 14 I kinda relaxed for a moment........Tomorrow I start to work out every day I want to be a size.........10 hopeful I can reach that before I turn 40 in Feb.

SpecialK, don't worry about the Nutristionist it was a very short visit and like Debbie said she just wants an ideal of what you are eating, Personally I think it was a waste of $200.00 but.......You have to do every thing they put on your list. Debbie have you used her since your required time to see her? Have you asked Dr. Price to see if he needs your records? My insurance didn't ask for all of that, and if you had the same insurance for a while I think they see for them self that youv'e been under you PCP for a long period of time and I'm sure they read the codes to see what you had been seen for.

Well it is late I better get into bed.

Thanks for the info about the nutrionist appointment.

My psych test is this Thursday... sounds like another example of no big deal either to get through that.

I do find myself thinking about the whole process alot - just processing all I have read, thinking through all I hope to accomplish when I lose a significant amount of weight where my knees don't hurt among other things.

For both of you who are getting to buy new, smaller outfits and things -- congratulations. That is fabulous.

I did have a small scale victory this week - still hanging in there doing Weight Watchers faithfully and logging my eating in an online food journal website. Lost .6 lbs this week so that is about 5 lbs total. If I can finish out the year with saying I lost weight throughout the holidays, that will be a great goal. I'm leaving to go to Arizona for holiday with my family but they know I'm working through the lapband procedure approvals so I don't think I'll be doing any big 'pigging out' episodes with them. The food police will be watching. Just kidding. They know how hard it is to lose weight. So, .6 lbs this week. Yea!

Lady and Debbie... SIZE 14 is awesome! I don't remember the last time I wore a size 14. 16 is about the smallest I've been, but didn't look to bad because I'm 5'8. I know you have to be so proud.

Debbie, Way to go with the coat. I LOVE thrift stores. I'm a huge bargain shopper. I bought a dress for our cruise in Feb. at Just Plus for $7.00 and it's fancy enough to ware to the captains dinner.....now to find a store that specializes in cheap clod hopper shoes to fit my size 10 feet :).

I love what you wrote about eating sugar. I like to have a piece of chocolate cake...no icing with my coffee sometimes, and the thought of never having that again was painful. I too want to eat like the skinny girl, one small piece and walk away. ;)

Way to go SpecialK!! :clap2: It is so hard to not gain weight at this time of year, but you have lost! Thats great.

Sue, whats the news on your insurance company?

Ok Ladies, my grandaughter (4yrs) just got here so I am off for a fun day of Christmas crafts with her. (Baby Jesus may never look the same afer we're finished with him :nervous)

I hope you all have a blessed day.

Angie--i turned a co-worker on to that Just Plus store. She loved it, too.

that place is great.

you talk about big feet??? how about a size 12???? whenever a see a size 12 i buy it. so i have a ton of shoes but there seems to be something wrong with every pair.

my feet still give me problems. can barely stand anything touching the backs of my heels. but cant wear backless shoes to work. thus the problem.

but now, they arent swelling like they were. so that is a big plus.

Debbie - I've heard others say that when they lost alot of weight their shoe size changed... now that's just what ya need - an excuse to buy more shoes. Maybe Santa can give you a DSW shoe store gift card!

I finally got scheduled for my cardiac stress test - its actually a chemical test where they inject some medication in to dilate veins and make sure everything is okay and the cardiologist is present while its being monitored. My appt is 8:30 on Dec 14th so say a little prayer for me. Its just the unknown of thinking I don't have any heart issues and now what if they find something... totally paranoid sounding I know.

Again today I was just thinking how I had my gallbladder surgery laprascopic and outpatient and somehow my good old heart held up for that with them just doing a simple EKG before hand. So again, it feels like insurance is putting me through a pretty expensive set of cardiac tests here for a simple surgery but its fine.

I always prided myself on being a healthy overweight person - never much one to run to doctors unless I was really sick with flu or something that I couldn't get past with over the counter stuff and rest so its weird having so many doctor appointments.

Debbie you mentioned taking care of Alzheimer patients at one time. Are you a nurse or aide?

cant remember what i said about alzheimer patients. i do have a tendency to babble on. but no i am not a nurse. unfortunately, i work for the post office.

i was scheduled to see dr choban tomorrow, but they called and cancelled. i was kind of looking forward to getting another adjustment. i havent lost any weight lately. been stuck at 233 forever.

good luck on your stress test. you will do fine.

My psych eval test got rescheduled to the 21st because the insurance company hadn't okayed the actual test yet. Don't ya love the insurance process..but on the other hand I am grateful for insurance covering this.

The cardiac stress test tomorrow requires no food or drink after midnight and no cafeine for 24 hrs before. I'll be ready for coffee as soon as that test is over...thank heavens they have a Tim Horton's right there at the hospital..ha ha.

Hey everyone, have you seen the TV ads running this month - I've caught it on Channel 4 NBC several times where its Dr. Choban visiting with a patient and Melissa Webb the bariatric coordinator is there and then Melissa the dietician is also in it. Looks like they are trying to step up the awareness for the program.

Maybe we'll get some new friends joining this forum thread.:bounce: