Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Dont Pass This One Up

Ok, now that I have your attention I have some questions. I am currently 2 months in on my physician monitored diet(3 mo the first of dec) for VSG. I am 27 years old and have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS) since 19. I have excess hair, fluctuating cycles, and infertility. At this point I have yet to be diagnosed insulin resistant but am labeled as "pre-diabetic". I have always been of the chunky variety, but since my diagnosis I've steadily gained and have been unsuccessful at losing. I am 5'4 and weigh in at 244. Any advice on being successful with my sleeve and combating PCOS? How can I see the scale move quickly? Yes I am aware it's not a race to lose weight, but I am easily discouraged. I'm not looking to lose 100lbs in 2 months, but I would like 30 or so. I have seen where people are claiming to be slow losers due to their PCOS(losing 10lbs their first month) and am worried. Also, any luck getting pregnant????? That's a biggy as my husband and I are wanting to have a child.

There's a whole PCOS forum here somewhere. I don't have PCOS, but I did have metabolic syndrome, with it's attendant pre-diabetic status, insulin resistance, etc.

Here's what I can tell you the research says works for those of us with Syndrome X or Metabolic syndrome. A diet very low in carbs. All carbs. So divide your Protein/Fat/Carbs into 40/40/20 and stick to it, and you will increase your chances of success.

If you had pre-diabetes, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, were overweight, insulin resistant, and high bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol, you will benefit from this composition of macronutrients.

I hope you find the other PCOS folks on here and they can tell you more specific thins about pregnancy etc. Good luck!

When do you plan to TTC? I only ask because if you are seeking surgery you'll have to wait at least a year (if not longer) to TTC after the surgery. I too struggled with IF (infertility) and it took me 4 years with several losses along the way before I finally conceived my THB (take home baby), even then I almost lost her due to a doctors screw up. With that said I don't have PCOS (that I know of) so I'm not sure how to approach that. Part of my problem was probably my weight and I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism by my RE, I also kept having ectopic pregnancies, one of which caused my fallopian tube to rupture and caused me to bleed internally. I almost died from that.

I can offer you suggestions on what helped me conceive but because of the PCOS I don't know if any of it will be helpful to you. Are you charting your cycles? if not that might be a good start. Plus get a basal body thermometer and take that every morning to chart your cycles. I also used instead cups right after sex and tilted my hips for a half hour during my fertile time of the month. supplements that I took: MACA (I used the bars and they are good for both men and women ttc), Vitamin B6 (high dose), and a must is Nordic naturals Omega 3 6 9. If nothing else take the Nordic naturals. Those were my life saver! Plus your everyday multi Vitamin. I switched to a prenatal.

Also, if you have any silver fillings in your mouth talk to your dentist about removing them, if it's possible. I know some fillings that are sound the dentists wont touch. But the thing with those silver fillings is that it contains mercury and I've been doing a lot of research on mercury toxicity and other heavy metals and there appears that there might be a link between this and PCOS & infertility. Also hypothyroidism, which is what I have. I went to my dentist and had my silver fillings removed and several months later I started to feel a heck of a lot better mentally when before I felt like I was in a mind fog a lot and I couldn't remember anything, I use to have severe anxiety problems, I got depressed and had horrible mood swings. I'm not 100% better but all those things for me have improved greatly since I removed the silver (read: mercury) fillings in my mouth. Just another thing you might want to look into and eliminate if this is something you got going on.

https://www.facebook.com/PCOS.diet.fertility.weightloss.support/posts/115404238647859

I hope that helps. I know the struggles of infertility and it sucks! (((HUGS)))