Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Days/nights In Hospital?

I am getting ready to have surgery on November 20. I've been told to expect at least two days in the hospital. Were you in and out in 24 hours or was your stay longer?

I stayed a good 2 nites. Admitted monday early morning and went home wednesday around noon.

I was only in the hospital for 23hrs. They told me I would probably be there for 2-3 days before I had the surgery but I did better than expected. I changed into my own clothes immediately after I got out of recovery. Pain was controlled. No nausea. My intake was good and I was walking like crazy so they said I could go.

I was in there about 30 hours. So 1 night I had to stay. Walking every few hours helped to get the stiffness out and my blood pressure remained normal an so did my breathing.

I was there for 4 days.... Surgery on Thursday, home on Sunday. I was not able to get in liquids and they kept me on the IV fluids a bit longer. Also some issues with my potassium and magnesium levels. Very minor things, but they did result in a couple more days. I didn't mind it though because I have 4 kids and wanted to be as strong as possible when I went home.

Mine was done on outpatient - believe it or not, surgery was at 8:00 am, was out of surgery at 8:50. I left the hospital just before noon that same day. Slept comfortably in bed the most of that day.

McButterpants: wow. Outpatient? I enjoyed the IV Dilaudid as long as I could!

I was in for 48 hrs. Had my catheter and IV fluids for 24 hrs then I could drink and take oral pain meds the 2nd 24 hrs. I was relieved to have the catheter in for the 1st day cuz I literally pee every 20 mins and getting up and down at that point was horrible.

Good luck to u

McButterpants: wow. Outpatient? I enjoyed the IV Dilaudid as long as I could!

I was in for 48 hrs. Had my catheter and IV fluids for 24 hrs then I could drink and take oral pain meds the 2nd 24 hrs. I was relieved to have the catheter in for the 1st day cuz I literally pee every 20 mins and getting up and down at that point was horrible.

Good luck to u

I know - a lot of people are shocked that it was done outpatient. My doc uses a local injection to numb the abdomen and it's on time release (I have no idea how it works). I didn't have to have a pain pill until day 3 and that was just to help with sleep. I also had a patch behind my ear for nausea, so I didn't have to deal with that.

Knock on wood - I have been very fortunate in my recovery. I'm on day 5 right now and almost feeling normal again.

I went in monday morning and discharged wed around 2. Loved the dilaudid. Came home on liquid lortab

I was there for 4 days.... Surgery on Thursday, home on Sunday. I was not able to get in liquids and they kept me on the IV fluids a bit longer. Also some issues with my potassium and magnesium levels. Very minor things, but they did result in a couple more days. I didn't mind it though because I have 4 kids and wanted to be as strong as possible when I went home.

4 kids? You mean you wanted a mini vacation!?!?! LOL

I am hoping for an in/out. Nothing is ever simple for me....fingers crossed.

Loved the dilaudid.

I agree!! I had surgery on Monday was discharged Thursday. When they did my swallow eval on Tuesday I failed so I had to continue npo foley pca pain pump until Wednesday when they did an xray and everything was fine so I was able to start liquids on Wednesday. I started my walking an hour after I came up from recovery and walked every hour I was awake.

Two nights for me. I could have gone home after the first night because I was already managing the pain without anythi stronger than Tylenol and I had already passed urine, but my surgeon is on the conservative side.

I had one night. In retrospect I probably could have gone home the same day, but my surgeon does the swallow test the next morning. Also, I had big love for the dilaudid and took full advantage. Most pleasant hospital stay I have ever had. Then again, my several hospital stays have taught me to take full advantage of all pain meds. Wonder of wonders, I think that really helped my recovery...