Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Venison And Elk Meat..

We lived in Wyoming for 7 years and ate Elk, and antelope. Loved the crockpot. Now we eat venison if my husband hunts and gets one. We have it ground and add ground beef to it. I use it just like ground sirloin. Used some canned venison in a stuffed pepper Soup instead of ground sirloin and loved it.

I made Elk fajitas last night....Lordy I'm getting the hang of this. LOL Crockpot is a must I have loads of stew meat. Spent a day vacuum sealing Venison its a crazy mess but so worth it I found. :)

Does your husband hunt much any more?

Ps. I was born in Gillett but only spent the first 3 years of life there. But It's in my blood. I swear!!!

We moved from Wyoming to North Dakota in 1980 and then back so Michigan in 81. Lived in South Haven for about 7 years and then now in Jackson. He usually hunts bucks on his brother in law's family acreage. Didn't hunt this year though as last year there was wasting disease and a lot of the deer died. Our son and nephew weren't hunting either. Hopefully, next year though as I miss the venison.

The year he got an elk, he took a game processing class and brought it in. Someone else brought in a moose hind end. Looked like a cow to a dog in the difference in size. We spent most of the night cutting up his elk and freezing it. Didn't really know what we even had!

I was born in 81' :) I have always loved Jackson!!. Something about those Rockys. :)

I had not heard about the wasting disease over there. That's the pits. They can put in for special tags in Montana. My husband and FIL got drawn for a hunt in Montana 4 years ago. Had a blast. Then you'd have some venison :)

We actually have lived in Michigan again since the early 80's and in Jackson MI since 87. Would love to go out to Jackson Hole again...Skied there one time but haven't been to Yellowstone yet. Wanted to back pack and hike but I got pregnant, and the next time we planned it, we moved out of Wyoming.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-papaya-as-meat-tenderizer-3470371.html?cat=22

http://www.farawayfoods.com/wildeats-seasoning-rubs.html

http://www.bbqbackyard.com/profiles/blogs/papaya-the-natural-meat I use this method, and freeze the meat in the brine, or just in some seasonings with the grated papaya. It's really good, and all I have to do is cut the bag away, and pop it into the crock pot, it continues to tenderize as it thaws and cooks. If you season it properly you don't taste the papaya at all. I use a really good redwine, or bourbon with some grated garlic, thyme, fresh ground black pepper, and I add olive oil before putting it in the crock. Just don't put it in the oven with olive oil, it will go rancid over 325.

I have a few marinades, that are made with orange juice concentrate, or that have lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar. All of these are acid based, and help to make the meat tender, and also help to mask the game flavor. I also love venison made into chili, stew, meat pies, or even a shepherds pie. You can always get creative, and use it like really lean beef, just make sure to season it a little more than a beef recipe calls for, since the meat is a stronger flavor. I would check pintrest, and cooks.com both are great places to get recipes. Or if you want my marinade recipes just let me know. I married into a hunting family, and my daughter says that beef chili tastes funny to her, since she has always had it with wild game.

Thank you so much that is a huge help!! I'm ordering the wildeats seasoning for sure. Never knew about the papaya rub. I'll try that for sure. The graded seems simpler than mashing but I will try it both ways. :) I would love love love to try your acid based also. I will for sure give feed back. I have 200 pounds of wild meat to play with. HA

We actually have lived in Michigan again since the early 80's and in Jackson MI since 87. Would love to go out to Jackson Hole again...Skied there one time but haven't been to Yellowstone yet. Wanted to back pack and hike but I got pregnant, and the next time we planned it, we moved out of Wyoming.

I so was not thinking of any other Jackson :) You did say you moved. I was just excited :)

I too have never been to Yellowstone which seems weird to me. But there it is. We have friends living through out the state and visit from time to time. It's been years tho. My husband and I drove over The Little Big Horns in 06' in January YIKES right. lol the weather held tho I was surprised. Good to talk about the beautiful state with someone. Thanks :)

Moose Marinade

1 c pineapple juice

1/2 c honey

1/2 tsp allspice

Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well. Brush on meat to fried or roasted. The longer the meat is left to marinate, the better it will taste. Marinate in refrigerator for one or two days.

Apple-Sage Marinade

3/4 c apple juice

1/3 c canola oil

1/4 c sage cider vinegar

2 TBS fresh sage, minced

1 tsp salt

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.

This marinade is excellent for bear, elk, moose and deer venison.

Coffee-Molasses Marinade

1 c strong coffee

1/2 c garlic red wine vinegar

1/4 c unsulfured molasses

1/4 c Dijon mustard

1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, nonreactive sauce pan, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes.

Also NEVER be afraid to inject rather than just marinade. The deeper the acid absorbs the more tender and more flavorful the meat will be. I also love adobo sauce, mole sauce, coffee makes a fantastic marinade, as well as wine, oddly enough yogurt works well too. With the amount of meat you have, you get a unique chance to play with flavors, and seasonings. If nothing else, try cutting the roasts into several smaller pieces and do a different marinade on each of them. I know they add some extra sugar, but I love orange juice concentrate, and the acid from coffee is amazing, don't underestimate the value of instant coffee. You can mix the instant coffee powder with olive oil and use it as a rub.

Also remember that cooking meat in butter helps to make it tender, it adds fat, but the tiny amount that we consume means that I will eat things made to their best flavor, and texture. You can soften a few sticks of butter add several herbs and then roll them into wax paper and allow them to re-solidify and use them to flavor and help tenderize the meat. I'm a huge fan of using garlic, thyme, black pepper, parsley, and either a bit of dried lemon (I use a product called tru-lemon, it's just dried lemon crystals and nothing else),and I have been known to save out a bit of the butter before I let it get hard in the fridge, I add a few spoons of white wine and then use that butter to cook with the same day.

Land o' Lakes makes several pre-made flavored butters, they are really good, and not too pricey for what you get. I use them in mashed potatoes, and have used them on chicken, and steak. http://www.landolakes.com/product/sauteexpress I have only found 3 of the 5 flavors so far, but they are all really good.

http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2012/06/cafe-mocha-rub/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/molasses-coffee-marinated-pork-chops-recipe/index.html

http://www.members.tripod.com/rrgclub/marinades.htm

Just remember, play with your mixtures, I take some basic notes just in case it comes out perfect, so that I can re-create it later if needed. I can't tell you how many times I have made something yummy, and then not had the ingredients to remake it, or I completely forgot what/how I did it. LOL