Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Office food

You know how people always bring muffins,donuts,homemade chocolate Cookies and such?to share...

well pure torture for me i figure 'just one' and then end up sneaking in 2 3 4 and so on!

So today with my new resolve i sliced cucumbers and cut up a large tomaotes into chunks and put those on the staff table with a bowl of fat free dressing.Every one loved it!!!

and i could go into the kitchen several times guilt free!!!

:)

Chantal

It's tough isn't it? :) This is part of the reason for my slow weight loss.

I work in a hospital environment with a traveling team. We sort of move in with our users for a few weeks and help get ready for a mainframe conversion and train them how to use the system. So, part of our job is to become familiar with them and make friends. One of my team members who in no way wants to address her own obesity constantly buys bags and bags of candies, chips, Cookies, nuts etc and surrounds herself with them. It's very hard not to fall into that abyss since I'm the sugar addict that I am. At one point I even had to ask our boss if we could just give the stuff to the users but have them lock it up in a cabinet somewhere. lol, But, it's not them that's doing it, it's one of us!

One particular weekend. The one that was the end of all ends, I went home and had gained 8lbs over a one week period. My cholesterol had risen to 306 and I was on the verge of a heart attack big time.

To make matters worse. We travel as a team, so we all ride in one car. When we leave work, it's part of our ritual to go to some nice restaurant and have dinner.

I've gotten the dinner part down. I order appetizers or share with someone else. No more platter sized portions for me! Problem is, once we've done dinner, dessert is required because we go to so many places that we have to compare the Desserts from one place to the next. UGHHHHHHHHH.

Yep. I fall into that one too and I hate myself for it! I'm getting better. I have actually said NO the past few trips and also shared with another team member, so it's baby steps. But, there are definitely booby traps everywhere I go. :think

In the end, it's still all up to me, I know.

Progress, not perfection..

Hi Leatha,

I know excatly how you feel.

I am dreading going back to work on Monday (been off work work since the op on the 23rd August). The office has 400 staff and it seems someone celebrates a brithday nearly every day and of course that is celebrated by either morning or afternon tea. The tea always involves massive cakes or mini pies and quiches etc. Then every friday at 4.30 pm the drinks trolly comes around with champagne , wine, beer and the worst enemy bags of crisps (chips) and nibbles.

Worse still is that I usually work between 7.30 am and 7 pm each day, and sometimes due to tender deadlines I am stuck in a meeting room with up to 9 other people and we literally have to eat what is provided, we are usually at the mercy of our fabulous catering lady who will knock up whatever she can for us. food includes sandwichs full of fatty meats and mayo, or mini pies and quiches or worse pizza !! I have decided to take a thermos in with Soup, and some fruit.

I am also regularly required to entertain clinets at lunch or dinner which can be tricky, however I try to stick to grllied seafood dishes which isnt hard in this beautiful city.

K

:straight

Damn Girls!!! Now I know what I am missing from not working in a normal office/group type situation. I am a housekeeper for a bed and Breakfast and lots of individual homes. I am always working by myself, and sometimes wonder about having a job that has more sociallizing benefits and company picnic type deals. I frequently hear about everybody complaining about it though... HMMMM. It will be interesting when I get my first job as a teacher.

Leatha, since you split the dinner with somebody, is anybody with you willing to split a desert? What about just ordering a few deserts among all of you and you all just have small samples of each? That is a predicament. Teresa

Yep, we do that too. lol. I'm working on them.

At one of our facilities, the boss brings in Krispy Kremes every darn morning! One of my co-workers now swears that she hears a voice in her head saying, "Krispy Kremes are not our friend'. lol.

It's the one lady that I really have to be careful around. I think she is happy for me, but maybe a tad jealous. (I don't know what would make me think that, except that she calls me a b**ch regularly!)

I thought when I took this job that all the travel, in and out of airports, running to busses etc would help me to lose weight. I was wrong! We frequently cater to clients who come in for training, our cafeteria at the campus is to die for and then on the road it's all expenses paid. Ughh...

It's been tough, but I'm working on it. It's me who has to say NO, no matter how painful it is.

At my office it seems to be a marathon food fest everyday. Has anyone ever tried the diet coke cupcakes. They are quite yummy. The entire recipe is a box of cake mix and a can of diet coke (not diet pepsi...too much fizz). That's it. My sister said on weight watchers they are 1 pt. You can add fat free cool whip as a topping. I told the office I would bring those in one day. I believe we can have diet coke......when we bake with it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oh how I know what you all are saying. My department is made up of may 25 people and it is an eating department!! I mean there is a pot luck all the time and Cookies and donuts and all kinds of other stuff always floating around. I mean when we have a pot luck it is a 12 course meal!!! It is so hard to keep to what I am trying to do with all that food running around. You know what they funny part is? There are about 6 of us in my department that has had wls. I am the only one that has had the band and the others all have had bypass. You would think that we would all be more , I don't know if I would use the word compassionate but maybe knowledgeable about the situation. I mean our department is pretty obese - we're majority women (only 2 men). So you know what I do?? I have a stash in my drawer: beef Jerky, pretzels, sunflower seeds and microwave popcorn. When others bring things in and I am tempted to fall back on my old ways, I reach in my drawer and grab a piece of beef jerky. By the time I get done chewing that and working to get through it my jaw is tired from eating and I don't want anything anymore. And if I do I will eat some pretzels or make a bag of popcorn and will be satisfied. What also is a big help to me is that I have pictures of me sitting on my desk. One from my wedding before I had my surgery and one from after having surgery. Anytime I get tempted I look at those pictures and it puts it all back into persepective for me. Now don't get me wrong........there are times when I do give in. But the things that I do are making it so much easier for me to not give in nearly as much as I used to!!!! :D