Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oldtimers thread

Wheezy: tell us what you eat in a day... detailed! Sizes and everything. Just a typical day for you.

Morning: Decaf coffee, low fat sugar free yogurt, sometimes a piece of cheese or a hard boiled egg

Lunch: Soup and another yogurt

Supper: Whatever we are having, meat (a few bites if I can get it down), potatoes (about 1/4 of one), vegetable (if I can).

Evening snacks: usually popcorn about 2 cups of popped or a small bowl of low fat chips.

Yesterday, I was able to eat a whole piece of lasagna, my husband served it so it was a fair size portion. I also had a piece of garlic bread. That's why I'm thinking of another fill.

I think my biggest downfalls are cheese and alcohol. Cheese is easy to get down and I love it. I usually have couple of drinks 3-4 times a week. I can't drink wine anymore so it's usually vodka. I tried eliminating drinking altogether and did lose a few lbs. I really don't want to give it up completely but maybe I should. We are going on vacation at the end of the month so I will definitely be imbibing but maybe when we come back, I should seriously consider reducing that amount and maybe get another fill.

Yeah, you definitely don't seem like you're eating too much! Isn't it weird how just randomly you can eat a waaay bigger portion of something than you were expecting?!

I'm sure the drinking isn't helping... but then again, what are you mixing with? If you still wanna drink, what about trying a lesser calorie mix? I know a gal who drinks vodka with crystal light... never tried it, but it's got potential?!

How about exercise? Gettin' any? I hate to say it, but if not.. maybe give that a try! (trust me, I'm not a fan either)

Have you talked to Dr. Cobourn about what he thinks you should do? Maybe a tinnnnny fill? Uggg... that really sucks for you.

Doddie: This isn't to exclude anyone. She made this thread for the few of us who were here long before any of you newer people, and have kind of lost touch, because with so many new threads every day, it's hard to keep track of each other. It obviously hasn't STOPPED you from posting in this thread, and no one told you not to. The moderators wouldn't think anything about it, cause there's nothing wrong with it. Yeah, we could send emails, but then not everyone would be in the loop. Is it any different than a "March 07 Bandsters" or a "Christians Unite" thread? I don't think so. :eek:

Wheezey: I don't see any exercise in your post. Maybe you are eating the correct amounts but not exercising could be the problem. I have stayed the same this week as I am also in love with cheese but the added factor was I am not exerecising. I took two terrible falls and my legs are very sore. I have arthritis in both knees and hips so exercising is not my favorite thing to do although I know I must. As soon as the incisiions are healed, I will be going to aqua sizes where I won't hurt my joints. So if you are eating the correct calories, then look elsewhere such as exercise. Doddie

Dodie, Argon is correct..this isn't an "exclusion" thread...omigawd, as if the mods would be upset!!! Have you BEEN to some of the other threads??!!! :paranoid

Seriously though, this is no different than soooo many of the other threads....such as I belong to the "April 06 Bandsters" thread....same thing!!!!

WHEEZY: my thoughts are a definitive nooooooo to being "too tight" to lose the weight. Of course, what constitutes "too tight" differs with everyone, I'm sure. But, my feeling is that if you are too tight to eat or too tight to enjoy your food/drink or too tight to have whatever you want without serious issues (in moderation, of course) than that is NOT good. Your body can't sustain that (nor can your mental health) over a period of time.....The TLBC docs also very adamantly espouse this line of thinking as well. So, all that to say, if you feel you are "tight" enough, don't go for another fill...investigate other causes etc and talk to your docs.

As far as the fickle thing......oh yeah, baby. I know I have very good restriction and yet last night (first time this happened) I was able to eat almost 3/4 of my HUGE bowl of Pasta that I got a East Side Marios (normally I take 3/4 home).....boy was I a happy camper!!!! LOL. But, I know that is rare and was just (for whatever reason!) an abnormality!!!

Here is another example of fickleness....a friend who is banded (she doesn't come to this site) was last filled in Aug....well, a couple of weeks ago she was all of a sudden sooooooo tight she couldn't eat at ALL.....she was in serious trouble ...couldn't even drink anything.....nothing would stay down. So, she went for a fluro looksie and she was now sooooo freakin' tight (and this after 7 months!!!) pretty much nothing was going down...so they removed some and she is now fine. Who knows why/how that happens......the docs couldn't give a satisfactory explanation either. But kinda freaky that you can be great with your restriction for so long and then WHAM!!!! So, I'm prepared now if that ever happens to me.....at least I have the knowledge now that it CAN happen!!!

Ooooops, there I went, a ramblin' again!!!!

I'll stop now...besides...if I don't leave now I'll be late for work!!! :nervous

Doddie, like Yoda says, this is the same as any other thread, all are welcome. There was just a handful of us that all started our own threads just so that there would BE threads at this site. Ex: Maria's memos etc..I just thought it would be easier to have general conversation on ONE thread as opposed to 6-10. Thats all!!

Wheezy, maybe just a smidgeon fill will help you. And yes my band is very weird (like me), one day hardly anything, the next alot.

Oh, for those of you that have been following my saga...lol.... my eldest daughter is moving back this week. Apparently, life is tough out there. In case any of you guys did'nt know that.lol.

I am sorry to disagree with you. The other threads are not exclusionary. Argon is trying to set up an exclusionary thread simply by the words "your are in". I have been overweight all my life and I have experienced ostracizing by others and you and Argon of all people should understand what it feels like to be excluded . The old timers and the new timers all have something to give. I know I simply just have to avoid this thread, but not before stating how I react to this "special" thread. I don't know how many others have felt the sting and just turned away, I will never know. Doddie

I am sorry to disagree with you. The other threads are not exclusionary. Argon is trying to set up an exclusionary thread simply by the words "your are in". I have been overweight all my life and I have experienced ostracizing by others and you and Argon of all people should understand what it feels like to be excluded . The old timers and the new timers all have something to give. I know I simply just have to avoid this thread, but not before stating how I react to this "special" thread. I don't know how many others have felt the sting and just turned away, I will never know. Doddie

Doddie from one Newbie to another don't take it personally. I have been reading posts on this site since last summer and let me tell you it has changed a ton, and with the amount of posts coming on here these days it is hard to keep track. So I understand why the "Old Farts" :heh: want to have a special place to keep it straight.

It is not trying to keep you out. In fact I think this is a great idea. I can contiune to read what the "elders" are going through while learning from their issues, and I am sure that if I did have a question for them (as they have more experience) I can ask it here instead of posting on all of their different threads.

Don't take it personally. This is really just a thread for some to keep track of one another that won't get cluttered up by all the new stuff that is going on. continue to read and learn and be inspired. I know I will be :)

WHooooooooooaaaaaa....Dodie....you are taking this waayyyyyyy to personally. It is not and was not an exclusionary thread and that is not what Argon meant by saying "you are in"...she was telling her that she was indeed, an old timer (ie. from last spring/summer).

This thread is EXACTLY like half the threads out there.....you newbies even started a thread (I think it was Gaffer...I could be wrong; I didn't go check) for those of you who were getting close to being banded. It is the SAME thing. I knew what that particular thread was so I knew I didn't feel the need to go on it except for once or twice to wish y'all good luck.

This is what a forum is.....people with similarities and likes flock together to common threads.....you either participate or you don't; it is your choice. For instance I will participate in the Apr 06 thread but not the May06 thread. Just like I will post my weight on the thread entitled: april 06 running weight loss totals. I wouldn't expect you for instance to post your weight there.

This is the exact same thing. It has already been well explained. You can chose to read/write....whatever you like.....the point was to bring the oldtimers together to one spot isntead of checking and re-checking several threads.

Relax. Check out the rest of the site and you'll see what I mean. Maybe this is your first time participating in online forums so perhaps you aren't aware of how it works? But either way...it is your decision which threads you participate in.

I've had a rough day at work so sorry if I sound harsh...but you gotta stop being so defensive....there is NOTHING wrong here....it is the way the forum works...and as was already said, this is not exclusionary....you can particiapte or not in any thread your lil' heart desires....but obviously if you go to something like the April 06 thread we will think you are a weirdo!!!!!

I just thought of another example. There is a "guys only" thread ....same thing. Yeah, I've gone and read a few posts (I was curious at first!! LOL) and I know some women have posted but for the most part, the women don't post (though I'm sure they read!!!!) because they know it doesn't really apply to them. For instance I know Gaffer participates on that thread and he likely gets a lot of different type of support from that testosteroney group than from us...and....all the more power to him and the others. But, it still isn't "exclusionary" ; this is an online forum afterall and it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to have it literally exclusionary.

There are so many examples I could be here forever....like the thread for people with BMI over 50.....I could go...but why bother? I don't want to intrude on their issues but I will certainly look if I feel like it and post if I feel like it and I'm sure they will be fine with it.

Threads for turtles (slow users) etc....same thing.

Dodie....I hope you re-think your thinking and see that perhaps you over-reacted....I don't know why THIS specific thread upset your balance and you think of as exclusion when you obvsiously seem okay with every other "exclusionary" thread out there (of which there are dozens and dozens).

I don't know how I can explain it any better. And if you still feel the way you do.....that is your choice to react that way.

Dodie, I'm sorry you feel that way cause you must know that we have all felt that at some time in our lives. We all have a common bond and that bond is that good part of our lives we have been overweight and feeling rejected in one way or another. I'm know that was not Cloe or Mandi's intent to exclude anyone so don't take offense, because these are the people you want as your advocate. They have a lot of knowledge and experience that have helped me and many others who have come along later.

Take care Dodie.

:)

Well, this thread has proven interesting so far.

Doddie, honestly, I had no intention of exclusion. I just don't have an hour of time anymore to go through 10-20 threads everyday(I'd like too, but can't) I need to pick and choose which ones to visit, I was only trying to save time. You have as much right to visit any threads, as anyone else here. Please feel welcome. Your ARE welcome.

Nuff said!

So I understand why the "Old Farts" :heh: want to have a special place to keep it straight.

Hey, I just reread this........."OLD FART", who you calling a 'old fart'!!!! LOL

BTW, Wheezy, never give up alcohol, :) .....Cheers:beer: .