Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. in Calgary

Hello all,

I've recently decided that after being overweight my entire life that it's time for a change! I've been thru everything, WeightWatchers, Jenny Craig, Atkins, and now finally I saw a Naturopathic doctor (ND) and really made a committment to exercise. For the past 6 months I've been going to the gym 4 nights a week (with at least 3 of those having a weightlifting included with cardio) dodgball one night/week, volleyball one night/week and in the summer I have slo-pitch. All this, having given up dairy and wheat on the recommendation of the ND (which has helped tremendously with my bloating and gas!) and I've managed to GAIN WEIGHT!!!

I've got an appointment with my GP next week to talk about weight-loss surgery, but I was wondering about the current wait times for the Alberta program (I live in Calgary). Is still about year to get referred??? :whatchutalkingabout

I have rheumatoid arthritis that's recently started to flare more often, and I don't want to go on more toxic meds (currently on Celebrex and Plaquenil). The next step to control that disease is weekly injections of a more potent medication.

Needless to say, I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired all the time! Advice, recommendations? Comments?

-- Kreeny (BMI 35)

Hi, Welcome

I didn't go through the weight managment so I can't really help you. I hear it is a long wait, my brother has been waithing over a year and nothing has happen yet. I went to the swlc in Toronto in July and had the lapband done. It does cost alot of money but is the best thing I have ever done for myself. All I can say is keep up what your doing.

wendir

If you want to stay close to home there are some Dr.s in Washignton and i think Idaho that are doing it, but I dont know who they are. Denver also has a Dr.Kirchebaum that many people here have used and he is pretty cheap ~$9500USD.

Funny thing, I got home last night in the mail, and I recieved my letter from the weight management clinic at the UofC which is the first step to becoming banded in Alberta. I was told to make an appointment for thier supervised weight management program.

I think I will skip it.

Andrew

Did you get one with Dr. K. I did and am looking for someone in Edmonton to do the fills! Know of anyone?

I have a question for those who have done the surgery in TO. I am strongly considering this in the spring. Currently at 5'4" and 235lbs, living in Calgary.

Did you finance the operation, and if so, what kind of payments are they?

I have a question for those who have done the surgery in TO. I am strongly considering this in the spring. Currently at 5'4" and 235lbs, living in Calgary.

There is a Dr. Mitchell in Calgary that should now do lapband privately. He would also then do your fills. Seems easier than going to Ontario. You can also get partial payment back from AB healthcare and some back from taxes from what I heard. I didn't finance mine, I make enough money that I saved up for it sorry.

Most clinics do not have a payment plan but they usually have a link to a finance company that you make arrangements with. I looked at it briefly, but the interest rate was worse than a credit card.

I used my Visa card. Love them points! :thumbup: I suspect the weight will be gone long before the card balance is cleared.

I am from Alberta and I recently had my surgery in Toronto. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely go to Manitoba for my surgery. The flight to TO. was $450.00 per person (you HAVE to bring someone with you) and took 4hrs to fly there....which sucks, then its $50 each way to and from the airport, then approx. $120.00 a night in a hotel, and cab fare to and from the clinic. I went again for my first fill (recommended by the clinic) 3 weeks later. and paid for all that again!! I researched the Dr. and chose the clinic based on that. I haven't been happy going to TO. in regards to my surgery (long story), I realized that all the clinics in Canada have a pretty good reputation regarding their Dr's. I would definitely choose a closer location if I had to do it again. If I have any problems I have to fly to TO., I wish I researched it better, but they get you in so quickly and I was so excited to get it done as soon as I could. A girl that had her surgery around the same time as me has some issues with her port (it has rolled on its side) I couldn't imagine dealing with that in Alberta when my surgery was in TO.

Good luck on your decision!

I know that the clinics can explain there payment plans, I paid my surgery in full I'm sorry I can't help you there.

They are all done laproscopically unless there is a problem during the surgery. Then they will either convert to open surgery (very rare) or stop the surgery right there. The LAP in Lap band means Laproscopic, no body does them with open surgery normally.

Andrew

What is Dr. Mitchell's first name and where is his office. I'd like to get talk to him about fills if I can.

What is Dr. Mitchell's first name and where is his office. I'd like to get talk to him about fills if I can.

Its a "p" name paul or phil and he is at the peter lougheed. Dr Decatou (sp) is also there and will do fills.

I am from Alberta and I recently had my surgery in Toronto. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely go to Manitoba for my surgery. The flight to TO. was $450.00 per person (you HAVE to bring someone with you) and took 4hrs to fly there....which sucks, then its $50 each way to and from the airport, then approx. $120.00 a night in a hotel, and cab fare to and from the clinic. I went again for my first fill (recommended by the clinic) 3 weeks later. and paid for all that again!! I researched the Dr. and chose the clinic based on that. I haven't been happy going to TO. in regards to my surgery (long story), I realized that all the clinics in Canada have a pretty good reputation regarding their Dr's. I would definitely choose a closer location if I had to do it again. If I have any problems I have to fly to TO., I wish I researched it better, but they get you in so quickly and I was so excited to get it done as soon as I could. A girl that had her surgery around the same time as me has some issues with her port (it has rolled on its side) I couldn't imagine dealing with that in Alberta when my surgery was in TO.

Good luck on your decision!

I know that the clinics can explain there payment plans, I paid my surgery in full I'm sorry I can't help you there.

If only alberta could get a private clinic, but thats not going to happen anytime soon.

I had not thought about those extras $$ before. My clinic in TJ included the pick up at the airport and the hotel. Now that there are direct flights to San Diego, I think the travel time will be less too.

my cost for surgery was as follows:

Surgery = $16,000

Optifast (3 weeks) = $210

hotels & meals for my wife = $600.00

flights to toronto = $900

car service & cab rides = $100

total = $17,810 roughly

getting my life back priceless

i also submitted my claim and should be getting $1036 back from ab health care, as well as savings on my taxes as the suregery is tax deductable. That all depends on your income obviously, but i hope to get back at least $2500.

The criteria as i understand it to get into the program are a bmi of 40+. Comorbididites like sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, or other medical ailments caused by the extra weight also factor in.

I just got my letter from the clinic in calgary monday, about 9 months after my dr. Refered me to enter the weight management program. I did not have any comorbidities other than high blood pressure, but my dr. Also fudged my numbers to make my bmi 50, it was really 48.

The time from referal to surgery is looking like 4-5 years at this time. This is true of both the clinic in calgary and edmonton because i called them when i was refered and that was the time frame they gave me.

Also be aware that just because you are accepted into the program, it does not mean that you will be getting a lapband, you may be given the option of another surgery, or none at all based on your success in the weight management program.

When it came to me, i looked at the hurdles that were in place if i were to get it done in alberta and i figured that those 4-5 years i would have to wait would be years that would be cut off the end of my life. Yes the $17k+ is steep, but when i look at what i would be losing interms of my health, ability to participate and be there for my young family it was totally worth it. I want to be able to ride bikes, go swimming, and do all those things that my weight was preventing me from doing.

Andrew

hi gaffer i was wondering if you heard of slimband in toronto i have just talk to them this morning and they r booking appts for oct 2009 with no criteria of bmi or anything else as long as you $16000. You can have it done this month,any sugestions.thanks.

I had TLBC (now slimband) and know Dr. Yau is excellent. He is well respected. There is another clinic opened in Vancouver, the False Creek Clinic that is affiliated with the Winnipeg Clinic. Their nurse attends our support group at the Lions Gate Hospital every 3rd Wednesday. Everyone welcome (had to get that in).Its free. There is a Dr. Leung and a Dr. R. Woodhead who have are well received by their patients. I also had the need for a fluro and went down to Maryville just outside Seattle to the Northwest Fills and found the two nurses excellent. They now travel to Bellingham to do fills and/or fluros.

Hope these suggestions will help.

hi gaffer i was wondering if you heard of slimband in toronto i have just talk to them this morning and they r booking appts for oct 2009 with no criteria of bmi or anything else as long as you $16000. You can have it done this month,any sugestions.thanks.

Edited by Doddie63
forgot doctors and typos grrrr.

Well I just returned from my Doc today and it does not look good for Calgarians.

Later that afternoon, I got a call from the nurse saying that Doc Mitchell no longer does the Lap-Band procedure and was referred to Ontario's Doc Coulburn (sp?). I also got a call from the Weight Mangement Centre saying that the classes were full and was told to call back in June. The nurse at the WMC told me that there is at last a 2 year waiting list for the LB procedure...........so what does a person do now? Pay privatly and head to Ontario? Be put on the waiting list just to get into the WMC?

Hard to believe that after all these years, I FINALLY decide to go this route only to be slapped in the face with so many roadblocks. Shame on you Alberta Health Services!!!! :thumbdown:What about all the other people that are much larger than me and NEED this option to live? :frown: - rant over.

Hey candies: Government paying for the lapband is a dream. They call the gastric bypass the golden standard. I think goverments don't like the aftercare bands require as well, most yahoos still think obesity can be "cured by not eating'. Anyway, there are clinics closer to you in Winnipeg and Vancouver. Check them out.