Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being banded IS the easy way out!

If nothing else the pre-op diet just reinforced my position. Here I was starving every day with my poor 1000 calories and low carbs. I was sooo hungry all the time. So of course I was also irritible. Poor DH wasn't allowed to eat in the same room I was in. And if he left evidence of his eating lying around-- like a fry container or mcdonalds bag that didn't get thrown away he would hear about it. I mean some of us are starving here and he could just eat. Plus in the two weeks I only lost 7 pounds. I thought I would lose a lot more but especially in the end my rate of losing just really slowed down. So thats how it is with diets. I'm hungry all the time which means I don't have energy or focus because I'm busy obcessing over food. Plus I'm irritable. So even people who love me nad care about me don't want to me around me if I am going to act like that. Neither would I. And then I stopped losing all that crazy weight. Not even worth it! If I was going to be starving I wanted to at least see the results on the scale and on my body! So the add anger to the fun list of affects of diets. And then I can only take so much of it. So I would also go off of a diet by bingeing on some food that was yummy. And eating too much of it. And then maybe another food. And then it gets harder to go back on the diet. So it is this viscous cycle for me. I just can't do that.

Also there are people like my mom I know who have lost 120 pounds through diet. She says you get used to always being hungry. She is how I don't want to be. Always hungry, always thinking about food. I need something to help me process the dragon meat, not something that makes it want to shoot fire at me.

It bothers me so much when people say this. I tell them that its not easy way out its help.

Then I tell them that when Im on a diet I can easily change my mind for a day and eat big mac and fries plus shake and icecream.But once I have the band I cant do it,its not beacuse that I have a good restriction(if I didnt watch my food I coould easily eat like before) but because its real risk to overeat, your pouch can just pop and you are dead in 15minutes cause of the acids that are in your stoma. Or you can cause erosion and other complications.Once you have the band you just cant change your mind that easily!and thats what helps me:-)

I don't think it's the easy way out either, but honestly, who cares if it is? The goal is to lose weight and keep it off to live a longer, healthier, and happier life. That's all that matters to me. None of my thin friends could deal with what I've been through. It's just ridiculous to even answer a comment like that......blows my mind how idiotic people are.

Gretchen

banded 2/23/07

Great post! I honestly have not encountered that reaction from anyone. Maybe because I didnt tell anyone until I had already lost about 40lbs...or maybe it was said, just not to my face. The closest anyone has come to making a negative thing about my banding was one (overweight) teacher I work with that asked what I was doing to lose so much weight. I told her I had the Lapband and she looked crushed and said, "Oh, I thought you were doing it on your own". But really, I think she wanted me to tell her some magical quick fix solution I had found....like I am taking this pill, or only eating XXX, a spoonful of applecider vinegar before meals, or something like that. The funny thing for me is that this has been a magical solution for me. I could never lose more than 20 lbs before banding, because I couldnt stick with the diets.