Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

if you need me

Sometimes I miss posts here - you can come over to our site if you need a question answered. You can either submit it directly to me through the site or post it on the forum there.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Hello, all. I'm a 3 year band veteran and new to this site...judging from my current prediciment, I would've done well to find this site a years ago. Hold on to your hats...this is going to take a while...

I was banded by Dr. Santiago Horgan in Chicago in Feb. 2004. I have not kept vigilant track of my loss, or my fills/unfills as most people seem to on this site. I did however, have amazing results of weight loss in the first year or so. I began somewhere around 308 and was down to 209 within a year. Couldn't ever make it past the 100 mark. (I am now 29 years old and have lost and gained significant amounts of weight prior to the band. Numerous times. In fact, I had an abdominoplasty and Lipo in various areas following a significant loss. I proceeded to gain over 100 lbs. over the course of the next year. Just to give you an idea of my classic yo-yo syndrome.) I was extremely faithful in my exercise program and in my eating habits for about a year and a half following being banded; however, I threw up ALL THE TIME, on a very regular basis, even with just liquids and I don't mean literal vomiting, but "PB'ing" as I've come to learn it is called on this site. My weight loss was going so well, I chose to just accept it. My weight loss slowed after about 18 months...and at this point, I'm positive the scale is going in the wrong direction, I'm just too ashamed to look. I've only had about 3 or 4 adjustments over the course of the now 3 years of having the lap band, but have no idea as to how many ccs, I don't even know what band I have, specifically. I suppose these are things I should be more aware of. The last time, (which I'm estimating was 6 months ago if not longer) I saw my surgeon, I had an "un-fill", because I had completely stopped losing weight and finally owned up to the truth about my "PB'ing" and evidently my pouch had stretched out? (I don't know that that is the correct terminology). I went back in 2 wks later for an adjustment. I have not been back since. (Let me clarify, I was a self-pay and every time I walk in the door of my surgeon's office I'm spending $250). Since then I have not had the problem with the PB'ing barring a few exceptions, like when I tried to eat more than I should. The truth is, I eat Soup and soft foods. And I most definitely, on a regular basis exceed the 4 oz. that my pouch should sufficiently hold. I don't even try to eat things like meat or bread. They don't even exist in my vocabulary.

I have for at least 3 months lived with pretty acute pain in my upper abdominal region. I have chosen not to address it, because I am so ashamed, as I, at one time, was a "star patient" and now I have failed, yet again. (Unfotunately she shame goes far deeper than that). I am beginning to rapidly gain weight again at this point. I just decided to start researching and found this web site. I have finally called my surgeon and admitted my failure and told him what has been going on, in particular, the pain I've consistently had now for quite some time. Now that I have admitted this, the pain is quite more apparent. I will be seeing my surgeon (actally, Dr. Horgan has left the practice, however, he had a team of surgeons with him who have continued the practice). I spoke to him yesterday and he seems confident that I simply need to have the band deflated for a few weeks. I, however, after perusing many of the threads on this site fear major complications such as erosion or slippage. I don't have the reflux, as I have taken nexium for about 10 years (but if I don't take it, the reflux is constant and unrelenting). I am extremely frightened and am feeling so, so utterly ashamed of my failure and neglect and I hate that I know I will be made to feel even worse when I do go in on Wednesday, but I fear my health may be in jeopardy at this point, so I have no choice. I'm curious what you would do in my situation. I feel like an Upper GI is necessary, but I know that my doctor is simply going to do a barium swallow under fluoroscopy, deflate the band and send me on my way, to return for an adjustment in a few weeks. Should I be demanding an Upper GI? I have also requested a referral to a psychiatrist and will soon be seeing one who is also a patient himself. (I was req'd to see a therapist for 6 months prior to my surgery, and continued for about a year). I apologize, as brevity is not my stong suit, but would greatly appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks very much.

ABP

An upper GI will give you most of the info you need, but I would probably also recommend a scope and definitely an unfill. Stuff like this happens, that's the great thing about the band you can always start over.

Hang in there,

Dr. C

Hello, all. I'm a 3 year band veteran and new to this site...judging from my current prediciment, I would've done well to find this site a years ago. Hold on to your hats...this is going to take a while...

I was banded by Dr. Santiago Horgan in Chicago in Feb. 2004. I have not kept vigilant track of my loss, or my fills/unfills as most people seem to on this site. I did however, have amazing results of weight loss in the first year or so. I began somewhere around 308 and was down to 209 within a year. Couldn't ever make it past the 100 mark. (I am now 29 years old and have lost and gained significant amounts of weight prior to the band. Numerous times. In fact, I had an abdominoplasty and Lipo in various areas following a significant loss. I proceeded to gain over 100 lbs. over the course of the next year. Just to give you an idea of my classic yo-yo syndrome.) I was extremely faithful in my exercise program and in my eating habits for about a year and a half following being banded; however, I threw up ALL THE TIME, on a very regular basis, even with just liquids and I don't mean literal vomiting, but "PB'ing" as I've come to learn it is called on this site. My weight loss was going so well, I chose to just accept it. My weight loss slowed after about 18 months...and at this point, I'm positive the scale is going in the wrong direction, I'm just too ashamed to look. I've only had about 3 or 4 adjustments over the course of the now 3 years of having the lap band, but have no idea as to how many ccs, I don't even know what band I have, specifically. I suppose these are things I should be more aware of. The last time, (which I'm estimating was 6 months ago if not longer) I saw my surgeon, I had an "un-fill", because I had completely stopped losing weight and finally owned up to the truth about my "PB'ing" and evidently my pouch had stretched out? (I don't know that that is the correct terminology). I went back in 2 wks later for an adjustment. I have not been back since. (Let me clarify, I was a self-pay and every time I walk in the door of my surgeon's office I'm spending $250). Since then I have not had the problem with the PB'ing barring a few exceptions, like when I tried to eat more than I should. The truth is, I eat Soup and soft foods. And I most definitely, on a regular basis exceed the 4 oz. that my pouch should sufficiently hold. I don't even try to eat things like meat or bread. They don't even exist in my vocabulary.

I have for at least 3 months lived with pretty acute pain in my upper abdominal region. I have chosen not to address it, because I am so ashamed, as I, at one time, was a "star patient" and now I have failed, yet again. (Unfotunately she shame goes far deeper than that). I am beginning to rapidly gain weight again at this point. I just decided to start researching and found this web site. I have finally called my surgeon and admitted my failure and told him what has been going on, in particular, the pain I've consistently had now for quite some time. Now that I have admitted this, the pain is quite more apparent. I will be seeing my surgeon (actally, Dr. Horgan has left the practice, however, he had a team of surgeons with him who have continued the practice). I spoke to him yesterday and he seems confident that I simply need to have the band deflated for a few weeks. I, however, after perusing many of the threads on this site fear major complications such as erosion or slippage. I don't have the reflux, as I have taken nexium for about 10 years (but if I don't take it, the reflux is constant and unrelenting). I am extremely frightened and am feeling so, so utterly ashamed of my failure and neglect and I hate that I know I will be made to feel even worse when I do go in on Wednesday, but I fear my health may be in jeopardy at this point, so I have no choice. I'm curious what you would do in my situation. I feel like an Upper GI is necessary, but I know that my doctor is simply going to do a barium swallow under fluoroscopy, deflate the band and send me on my way, to return for an adjustment in a few weeks. Should I be demanding an Upper GI? I have also requested a referral to a psychiatrist and will soon be seeing one who is also a patient himself. (I was req'd to see a therapist for 6 months prior to my surgery, and continued for about a year). I apologize, as brevity is not my stong suit, but would greatly appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks very much.

ABP

Thank you for the advice and encouragement, Dr. C. I really appreciate it. I am certainly hoping that there is not a serious problem. I will be finding out soon enough, I guess.

Thanks again.

ABP