Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Undecided And My Concerns....3 Month Pre-Op Diet

Hi......
My name is Danielle and I am approved by my insurance and doctors to proceed with either the VSG OR LBS!!!! YAY ME!
10/10/13 Me: 357
Currently:354lbs
Surgery Date: Need to loose 19lbs total 16lbs to go then I receive my surgery date
Eating Habits: Very Low Flour, Low Sugar ( F.O.G) Farm, Ocean, Ground Lifestyle :)
Exercise Level Currently: Moderate (swimming/cycling)

I really want to go ahead with the VSG because I know its less invasive, less maintenance and in the long run I would receive better results at a faster rate than LBS :) As I read through posts with VSG I understand you can basically eat almost anything you want in life later as long as its in very small portions.(believe that's correct)....My BIGGEST concern is that the mortality rate is higher than LBS....The fact that I can leak and catch pneumonia, blood clot, heart attacks really makes me think twice....I'm unclear is that after surgery and during the healing time and never have those horrid risks later? Do those percentages change after the healing time? Where can I get valid updated statistics on this online anywhere?...... I do also understand that everything involves a risk especially with surgery nothing is guaranteed but if I am more informed I will be more confident.
:P

I haven't researched the LBS as much just because its so much information on both surgeries and I'm barely getting through the VSG info. It seems safer to get LBS after all and yes it may take longer to loose the weight that's ok with me and I will have more peace of mind during healing time with this decision. But then I also don't want to keep getting multiple surgeries after the surgery. The tightening I'm ok with, but anything fatal later or many hospital visits after is a big concern for me.

With all this I want to put my safety first and feel confident in my decision I appreciate all the advice....I have tried everything and time and time again its always about eating until I was full with me but I know once I do feel full I am satisfied! I have been on a very low flour low sugar F.O.G Lifestyle and have lost 3lbs on my own this past month but am ready to get LBS or VSG to speed this up and be able to have children Im 27! almost time! You all look and like you have had a lot of success but I want to feel more comfortable with my decision on which surgery is best for me.... thx!

THANK YOU VSG FORUM!

post-196960-0-04643800-1384156224_thumb.jpg

I don't know about others, but I chose VSG because;

1. It's a permanent change and you can eventually eat normal foods

2. Higher and quicker weight loss

3. Felt the LBS had way more complications than the VSG, which could cause increased follow up surgeries.

4. Did lots of research on both and my surgeon who I know from a previous hernia surgery recommended it for me.

I don't look much at the mortality rates, they are very low comparatively and are a risk in any surgery. Recommend you look at the Lap Band revision category on this site. You may get a little more insight on why people are choosing the VSG

Hi Happy2BMe1

Like you I am a bit worried about the mortality rates for the VSG. However, I have still decided to have the sleeve instead of the band. My surgeon who is one of the leading bariatric surgeons in the UK said that he hardly does bands anymore. They have too many complications and a lot of people need additional surgery.

I think the VSG is a good alternative and not as dramatic as the bypass. However, there is still a risk, but hey what's the risk of you staying at 345 pounds. You are relatively young and might not get any problems with your weight, but problems do often come up when one gets later.

I've just weight up the pros and cons of doing the VSG vs doing nothing and the VSG won even though I've got very young kids (and I certainly want to be around to see them grow up).

In the end, only you can make this decision though.

Guest Sleeved&NotLovinIt

Dear Undecided Happy2BMe1,

I was sleeved on 11/11/13. I had a heart attack in 2011. I do/did not want to have another one so that is why I 'went for it'. I personally believe that my time here on earth is predetermined so I just took the 'what will be, will be' attitude and so far, everything is going great. I feel like I've been given the greatest gift in the world! Good luck with whatever decision you make.

--Avis