Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating is hard!

Guest Minda1

Guest Minda1

I find that I have a really hard time eating consistantly. One day, all is well and I have no problem, while the very next day, I have PB to the extreme. The tiniest of bites refuses to go down and coffee is my only friend, someone pleeaasse help me through this dilemma. I am going crazy trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I do not feel my band is too tight, due to the fact that some days I eat just fine. Is it possible that my food is building up in my pouch and not passing thru, thereby keeping me filled up into the next day? all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Minda, how long have you been banded? How are you doing so far? Have you had a fill yet? My band seems to work the same way. Some days I can eat like a horse, then suddenly restriction - without warning. I think we're just having to retrain our brains how to eat - how much, how often, when to stop. We're trying to learn how to make healthy choices. It seems to be all about quality, not quantity. You'll do fine!:)

Guest Dazzey1977

I do belive that your menstrual has something to do with the extra tightness...It always happens to me during that time of the month. Especially when i'm PMS'ing. To me, the band is very wishy-washy. It does what it wants to do. Sometimes I can eat normal. other times i can't eat at all. Now i'm able to tell when i can eat certain things. I had a fill on the 23rd of may. I'm still sticking to soft food cause i'm a little afraid to start my solids right now. hopefully by labor day i will be able to eat solids.

Christy

12-1-03

280/215/150

2.3cc's

Dr. Felix Speigel

Guest Minda1

I was banded March 25 and Aunt Flo was killed years ago, so there goes that theory, I am glad though that other people are having the same problems that I do, it makes me feel relatively normal, I have had two fills and 1 unfill, right now I am at 1.2 so go figure.

Im certainily NOT the one to give advice here, but since noone has commented on this I thought Id give it a shot!

Are you drinking enough Water between meals?

"B]Is it possible that my food is building up in my pouch and not passing thru, thereby keeping me filled up into the next day?[/b]"

Replying to that quote, I think you would have a hard time keeping food in your pouch if you drink plenty of Water.< /p>

But Im like you - I can eat the same thing at the same time 2 days in a row, and day 1 everything goes down fine and day 2 the first bite gets stuck.

jus' never know!

Good luck!

Hi Ladies,

Yep, you're in the throes of the learning curve and it's very hard sometimes when your band is being unpredictable. There are many variables that go into how much restriction we have at any given moment, and we can't be on top of all of them. Water retention, for whatever reason, is definitely a factor, and so is stress, exercise, and even sleep. It's impossible to predict.

So what we have to do is react appropriately. That first-bite syndrome is really hard when you're hungry, and it just takes learning how to make the first bite really small and then WAITING enough time for the pipes to be primed for the second bite. (I don't know the actual facts behind it, so forgive my metaphors.) Personally, I think the feeling is like my esophagus "clenches" against the food, or something like that.

It will pass, or you will learn how to accommodate it. Rememebr that the whole point of the band is to help you eat less, so take its signals to heart and walk away when it's not letting you eat more. You won't starve, even if a whole day goes by without any solid food. This is the tricky part, letting your mind get around the concept that really, a few bites is all you need for nourishment.

This will pass. It's the hard part, really!

Guest Minda1

thanks for all the replies, the problem continues, it has been three days since I have been able to tolerate ANYTHING, this includes the all important Water. If I could get the water to stay down I would be ok. Remembering that milk coats your stomach, I drank some, it came back up curdled and with other stuff that had to have been 'living' in there, because no solids have been down in a while. sOME ONE PLEASE HELP, IT IS A HOLIDAY AND NO DRS ARE OPEN. Please dig deep in your experiences and see if you can help. also any Drs. reading these posts, all coments accepted.:think :cry

Minda, if you literally have not been able to get liquids down for days now you really need to get to an urgent care center or ER. Dehydration is no joke and could be dangerous. Have you really not been able to drink Water for days?

What brought this on, do you know? You said you were banded back in March and have had three adjustments. When was your last one? Did these symptoms predate your unfill, and was that the reason you had one? Or did this just suddenly come upon you out of the blue?

You may have some problem with your band, like slippage or something. There is no reason not to go to an ER for an x-ray if your symptoms are this alarming. Go do it!!

You were banded by Dr Spiege right? Call Dr Spiegel's office at 409-719-0009; and there is a number at the end; call it and he will meet you at the hospital...had to do this last weekend; good luck and keep us informed:-)