Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From Lapband To Sleeve?

hello,was just wondering how many,if any of you have went from the band to the sleeve,what prompted this and did insurance cover it?

i had the band back in 2010, ive lost about 40lbs..went from a size 16 to a 12..while im happy with that i have become more and more frustrated...i had to have a little Fluid taken out as i was a little too tight,,but now ive gained 4 lbs...my doctor want me to count calories,ect..i kinda thought that with the band i wouldnt have to to that...i dont want my whole life to be about calories...what i can eat or cant eat..ya know? plus i work long hours and have like no time to excersise.so i feel horrible about that..my family gets alttlel frustrated especially my husband with the fact that im always saying...I cant eat that...ect...i know like 4 women who have had the sleeve and they seem to have fewer food issues than i have and have lost way more weight than i have in a shorter amount of time...makes me kinda envious to be truthful..i would like to have the sleeve done but dont know if that is even an option..as i am now down to 193 with a BMI of 34....

This is strictly my opinion, but you should go look over at the Sleeve forum before deciding it's the better option. You will see post after post over there with the same struggles we have- not losing weight. They get the same advice we get too "how many calories a day are you consuming?"

WLS, no matter which one, is just a tool. The work will always be ours to do and that includes monitoring our calories and portions. You have to completely change your lifestyle and calorie intake no matter which WLS you choose.

Your life shouldn't be about what you can and can't eat, either. The band is about moderation not deprivation. If you're talking about what you physically can't eat, if the list is very long then quite possibly your band is too tight.

I would strongly suggest discussing this at length with your doctor.

Best wishes.

i agree with missy wrote....no one wls is better than the other

a lot is based on the patient..

if you eat more calories than your burn off (counting them or not) you will gain

sleeve, band or bypass....

Jade,

There is no easy solution. It's a misperception to believe wls does the job for you. No matter what surgery you get, you will have to abide by the rules 100% to reap the benefits.

Revisions are great when you are suffering true complications and one surgery is not working out for you. But I know my doc wouldn't qualify someone who just doesn't want to put the work in. They'll predict it'll be the same scenario under another procedure which requires just as much diligence and compliance.

Getting wls and getting results takes dedication and work. The difference between pre and post op is that these procedures can help you with things like hunger management, Portion Control which in the long run will be critical for maintenance.

Also, counting calories and understanding how much you are putting into your body allows you to get an understanding of what it means to be on target or to overindulge. It took me years of counting to finally get to a place that I can estimate with accuracy and no longer count. But the reality is, if I consume more than my allotment, I will stall or gain. Weight loss has a very simple formula that cannot by bypassed- weight loss= calories consumed - calories burned. You either workout or you limit intake. No wls changes that.

hello,was just wondering how many,if any of you have went from the band to the sleeve,what prompted this and did insurance cover it?

i had the band back in 2010, ive lost about 40lbs..went from a size 16 to a 12..while im happy with that i have become more and more frustrated...i had to have a little Fluid taken out as i was a little too tight,,but now ive gained 4 lbs...my doctor want me to count calories,ect..i kinda thought that with the band i wouldnt have to to that...i dont want my whole life to be about calories...what i can eat or cant eat..ya know? plus i work long hours and have like no time to excersise.so i feel horrible about that..my family gets alttlel frustrated especially my husband with the fact that im always saying...I cant eat that...ect...i know like 4 women who have had the sleeve and they seem to have fewer food issues than i have and have lost way more weight than i have in a shorter amount of time...makes me kinda envious to be truthful..i would like to have the sleeve done but dont know if that is even an option..as i am now down to 193 with a BMI of 34....

Hi there Jade I too had my surgery in 2010 and I didn't really keep up with calories until like a year post op. My doc told me that my food should be no more than four oz altogether. If you keep that in mind you will get there. I have been filled and unfilled so many times until I really learned my body. When you figure that out, you will be smooth sailing. Good luck on whatever you decide.

This is something I have also wondered about....and I plan on talking to my Dr. about it before I'm 65....

Has nothing to do with loosing weight, the band did that just fine in that department...I'm just wondering about the long term...life time...

Possible long term complications with the band? Versus the sleeve? I have no idea.....uncharted territory....

I have been banded for 3 years now, and I don't think about it anymore...I wonder that now that I am at that point, and I have formed new habits and the rules (some of them) have become practicable common sense....can I get something that is not adjustable with little or no maintenance? And still sustain me in the Green Zone? ie; no hunger, auto portions, etc? or will I have to go back to dieting, counting calories, etc, which I am absolutely terrible at....

Was the band a temporary quick fix to get me there...and the sleeve a permanent fixture? Don't know, just things I ponder and want to investigate.....

Dr. did casually say something once but I did not pay attention....

Jade,

There is no easy solution. It's a misperception to believe wls does the job for you. No matter what surgery you get, you will have to abide by the rules 100% to reap the benefits.

Revisions are great when you are suffering true complications and one surgery is not working out for you. But I know my doc wouldn't qualify someone who just doesn't want to put the work in. They'll predict it'll be the same scenario under another procedure which requires just as much diligence and compliance.

Getting wls and getting results takes dedication and work. The difference between pre and post op is that these procedures can help you with things like hunger management, Portion Control which in the long run will be critical for maintenance.

Also, counting calories and understanding how much you are putting into your body allows you to get an understanding of what it means to be on target or to overindulge. It took me years of counting to finally get to a place that I can estimate with accuracy and no longer count. But the reality is, if I consume more than my allotment, I will stall or gain. Weight loss has a very simple formula that cannot by bypassed- weight loss= calories consumed - calories burned. You either workout or you limit intake. No wls changes that.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Sorry..to every opinion there is a flip side...and with me I am 100% opposite....other than the first 4-6 months...

Like I said, no disrespect, just different experiences.....I have found this to be the easiest thing I could have ever done to loose weight and return to normal....

Jade,

**************************************************************************************************************************

Sorry..to every opinion there is a flip side...and with me I am 100% opposite....other than the first 4-6 months...

Like I said, no disrespect, just different experiences.....I have found this to be the easiest thing I could have ever done to loose weight and return to normal....

Not sure what you are disagreeing with me on. But I too find the band the easiest thing ever. But I still follow rules, the band is not doing 100% of the work. You can't take out food portions, food choices, exercise and everything else and think it'll result in losing all your weight. At some point you have to buckle down and worth with your band.