Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month "bandiversary"

Today is it" My 6 month Baniversary. Six months ago, I anxiously and somewhat reluctantly went into to surgery for lapband. I knew my surgeons well as I have worked with them both in the hospital setting and had extreme confidence in them. So that wasnt even an issue. But, I had read the reviews of lapband and had started having my doubts about it (I hadnt found this site as of yet). Anyway, my weight problem was becomng something I had to deal with. My abdomen was large and I was having trouble tieing my shoes, I was getting out of breath easily and I was ashamed of my own shadow. I had just bought my 1st pair of size 22 jeans. Ugh. Also, my mother died 20 years ago at my current age with heart dz and diabetes so this was also a concern to me. So, I decided I was going to do this. I was done being obese.

I had the surgery and though I've had several minor surgeries under anesthesia in the past 5 years, pinned wrist, arthroscopies of both knees, that kind of thing, I will admit this one turned out to be more of a doozie for me. My surgery was banding wit plicatin and hiatel hernia repair. I blame most of my bad experience on the anesthesist who I believe over sedated me. I had alot of trouble keeping my oxygen saturation up post op. Prior to surgey, I tried to tell him that I am veru hyersensitive to drugs, but guess he thought he knew it all and used my weight to base my drugs on. Anyway, as said, coming out of surgery, I spent the first hour with nurses yelling at me to wake up and breathe. I had the surgery in a hospital I worked at for 14 years and I have to say, I wasnt really impressed with the treatment both preop or postop. I never told them I was a nurse, so I was able to sit back and watch how they treat pts and I gotta say, I was sorta disappointed. This was the only surgery I've had there and I've never experienced this with any other surgery. By the way. my daughter in law who is an OR nurse told me that the gas we experience postop is from all of the air they inflate our abdomens with (I knew this already) but she also said they can suction that air back out and more or less eliminate this problem.

Anyway, hubby promised to be supportive and before surgery, I had to make him eat because he felt guilty eating in front of me while all I could have was Protein Shakes. He was 30 lbs over weight himself and I certainly didn't want him to become a closet eater and gain more weight. So, we had alot of heart to hearts about what his role would be to both continue living normally and cohabitating with me who would not be so normal for a little while.

6 months later, He has lost his 30 lbs (big smile) and I have lost 50. I still have some to go. My goal s to lose 38 more and this is just based on bmi. I may change this goal as time goes on. After all, it's not all about the scales. But I'm extremely pleased with my decision. I go to the gym, I'm in a size 14 and I love the direction I'm heading. I do have my days when I don't do as well as I'd like and I've learned to forgive and get back up. The weight is now coming off very slowly but its coming off. I go to my md next week and I don't know if I will do a fill or not. Just depends on my weight when I see her and how we both feel about it.

This boad has helped alot and short of those who want to tell people to circumvent their surgeons advice, I have gotten some really good advice on here. I want to give a shout out to CG, MS73 an Sharpie. There are others and that is just to name a few. As for the ones that give bad advice, I'm going to learn to use the block feature. Thanks guys and gals, you're the best.

Today is it" My 6 month Baniversary. Six months ago, I anxiously and somewhat reluctantly went into to surgery for lapband. I knew my surgeons well as I have worked with them both in the hospital setting and had extreme confidence in them. So that wasnt even an issue. But, I had read the reviews of lapband and had started having my doubts about it (I hadnt found this site as of yet). Anyway, my weight problem was becomng something I had to deal with. My abdomen was large and I was having trouble tieing my shoes, I was getting out of breath easily and I was ashamed of my own shadow. I had just bought my 1st pair of size 22 jeans. Ugh. Also, my mother died 20 years ago at my current age with heart dz and diabetes so this was also a concern to me. So, I decided I was going to do this. I was done being obese.

I had the surgery and though I've had several minor surgeries under anesthesia in the past 5 years, pinned wrist, arthroscopies of both knees, that kind of thing, I will admit this one turned out to be more of a doozie for me. My surgery was banding wit plicatin and hiatel hernia repair. I blame most of my bad experience on the anesthesist who I believe over sedated me. I had alot of trouble keeping my oxygen saturation up post op. Prior to surgey, I tried to tell him that I am veru hyersensitive to drugs, but guess he thought he knew it all and used my weight to base my drugs on. Anyway, as said, coming out of surgery, I spent the first hour with nurses yelling at me to wake up and breathe. I had the surgery in a hospital I worked at for 14 years and I have to say, I wasnt really impressed with the treatment both preop or postop. I never told them I was a nurse, so I was able to sit back and watch how they treat pts and I gotta say, I was sorta disappointed. This was the only surgery I've had there and I've never experienced this with any other surgery. By the way. my daughter in law who is an OR nurse told me that the gas we experience postop is from all of the air they inflate our abdomens with (I knew this already) but she also said they can suction that air back out and more or less eliminate this problem.

Anyway, hubby promised to be supportive and before surgery, I had to make him eat because he felt guilty eating in front of me while all I could have was Protein shakes. He was 30 lbs over weight himself and I certainly didn't want him to become a closet eater and gain more weight. So, we had alot of heart to hearts about what his role would be to both continue living normally and cohabitating with me who would not be so normal for a little while.

6 months later, He has lost his 30 lbs (big smile) and I have lost 50. I still have some to go. My goal s to lose 38 more and this is just based on bmi. I may change this goal as time goes on. After all, it's not all about the scales. But I'm extremely pleased with my decision. I go to the gym, I'm in a size 14 and I love the direction I'm heading. I do have my days when I don't do as well as I'd like and I've learned to forgive and get back up. The weight is now coming off very slowly but its coming off. I go to my md next week and I don't know if I will do a fill or not. Just depends on my weight when I see her and how we both feel about it.

This boad has helped alot and short of those who want to tell people to circumvent their surgeons advice, I have gotten some really good advice on here. I want to give a shout out to CG, MS73 an Sharpie. There are others and that is just to name a few. As for the ones that give bad advice, I'm going to learn to use the block feature. Thanks guys and gals, you're the best.

YOU are the reason for your success.....GREAT job...such a great post and one heckuva inspiraton to this forum

congratulation_graphics_1.gifcongratulation_graphics_1.gif

Congratulations on your success!!

I'm curious, did you go back and report to the hospital your less than desirable experience pre and post op? If not, I really would if I were you. I think they'd take the criticism a lot more seriously coming from an employee and nurse.

As far as your good and bad days- that just makes you human. We all have them whether everyone is willing to admit it or not. Besides, sometimes I kinda feel like I need a "bad day" just to splurge and get it out of my system. Then, I don't feel deprived and the bad day doesn't turn into a bad week or month.

Congratulations on your success!! I'm curious, did you go back and report to the hospital your less than desirable experience pre and post op? If not, I really would if I were you. I think they'd take the criticism a lot more seriously coming from an employee and nurse. As far as your good and bad days- that just makes you human. We all have them whether everyone is willing to admit it or not. Besides, sometimes I kinda feel like I need a "bad day" just to splurge and get it out of my system. Then, I don't feel deprived and the bad day doesn't turn into a bad week or month.

I never did report it. My surg kept getting pushed back. I was scheduled at 9am and didn't go in til 1pm. Didn't get out of surg clinic til around 4. Guess everybody else was having a bad day too.

Great post! Thanks so much for a real lift this morning. I am going in for my one week post op followup today and already I feel like this is the best decision I've made for myself in who knows how long. Major, major life choice. Choosing a healthy happy future! Thanks also for reminding me how important it is to let my spouse know what I need from him. He's incredibly supportive but also a little clueless and I tend to be so independent. He has some weight to lose, too, and I'm sure that will fall of of him now that we are not grazing together each evening. After reading your post I realize he needs to be allowed to help so I'm letting him drive me to my appointment even though I am fine here on day six. You are an inspiration, Sandy. I always love to read what you post but this one takes the cake! Best wishes!

Congratulations!

Best wishes and Keep the Faith.

Great post! Thanks so much for a real lift this morning. I am going in for my one week post op followup today and already I feel like this is the best decision I've made for myself in who knows how long. Major, major life choice. Choosing a healthy happy future! Thanks also for reminding me how important it is to let my spouse know what I need from him. He's incredibly supportive but also a little clueless and I tend to be so independent. He has some weight to lose, too, and I'm sure that will fall of of him now that we are not grazing together each evening. After reading your post I realize he needs to be allowed to help so I'm letting him drive me to my appointment even though I am fine here on day six. You are an inspiration, Sandy. I always love to read what you post but this one takes the cake! Best wishes!

Thank you girl. I am so glad you finally got your surgery. No one was more prepared. Now the work begins, but so does the reward. I love reading your posts too. You are always so upbeat. I'm rooting for you every day.