Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1St Fill, But Still Hungry Between Meals

I was banded on Oct. 4th and had my first fill on Nov. 6th. I felt restriction the first day, but that has now gone away and I am hungry between meals. I am so afraid I am going to gain weight by eating between meals. Plus I am still nervous about all the foods that I do eat, afraid something is going to get stuck. Even though I chew, chew, chew. Is it ok to eat between meals???

Hi Lynn, I can't answer your question because I've just been banded myself but it sounds to me like you are doing well with listening to your body. It's good to notice that you did feel restriction briefly but now have hunger between meals. This info will tell your surgeon exactly what s/he needs to know in terms of your next adjustment. Personally I am glad to take it a bit slow as like you I am nervous about getting to the right place without stuck episodes, etc. Good luck to you!

It's always OK. But, if you want to lose fat you need to count those calories and burn more than you consume.

What you're experiencing is called "Bandster Hell" and most all of us have gone through this phase. Until you get the fill that gives you enough restriction to feel satisfied for 4 hours this will be just another diet.

I was in BH for 4 month before I started feeling enough restriction to go 2-3 hours without being hungry and 7 months before I found the green zone.

tmf

Unfortunately, in the beginning, fill restriction doesn't last very long. Usually after 1-2 weeks you feel less restriction than you felt initially because inflammation subsided. You just need to continue getting fills until you reach green, but this can take 4+ months on average. Take advantage of those early periods after a fill. When your hunger returns, focus on Protein to curb your appetite. Be cognizant of how many calories you are taking in. If you feel it helps w/ hunger to eat Snacks during this phase, do so, but track calories, dont' add to what you are already consuming.

Hang in there hun, you'll get there :)

At the end of the day...it's calories in, and energy out.

The band helps, but what people don't always know is that you still have to diet and exercise to lose the weight. I am banded for 8 months and still COUNT CALORIES every single day and that's why I have lost 70 lbs. I watch portions, and when I'm hungry between meals I chose healthy options. I still don't know if I'm at my green zone it's a long process that can take up to a year to get your perfect fill.

If you are worried, try myfitnesspal.com which is the site/app most of us use.

Good luck =)

Thanks everyone for the support and helping me understand this process a little more. It sure

makes this journey a little easier.

My first fill I felt absolutley nothing....even gained weight afterward....

2nd fill it ws 50-50....I was not hungry for a few hours between meals....but found myself craving - starving when it was time to eat...started climbing the walls.....

3rd fill...put me over the top...I do not experience hardly ever, have no interest in food or eating...it is NOT a feeling of feeling full as though I just ate....it is a mental thing for me...the band is there, 24 hrs a day, telling my brain I'm full, don't need to eat, yet I have not eaten anything....

Today is Sunday, went to the gym at 5am, had a Protein smoothie afterward, and here it is 3pm and I have not gotten around to eating anything yet....just coffee, Water, and had a beer watching football on TV.......I will eat, but I'm really not interested....we will probably go,mout for dinner....

BTW, my last fill was over 2 years ago, and it feels as good today as it did then..(with a little maintence on my part every 4-6 weeks)