Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't take it anymore!

I went to a seminar, given by a surgeon other than the one who did my surgery. It was given by the Dr. who does my adjustments. It was pretty much like Mandy said---patients there to answer questions, they told us about several different types of WLS, outlined what the determinating factors were in deciding which would be best for you. Lots of Q & A. Other than that, he talked a lot about the health advantages of losing the weight---in any way, and how it helped the body. Talked about the effect on diabetic patients, he was very excited by the strides they are making with finding a cure for diabetes. They had a slide show of how each of the surgeries were done, and how they differed. He gave us a sheet with his prices, and had forms for us to fill out if we wanted to have his staff check our insurance out. I didn't feel like he was pressuring me to use him, he in fact had the attitude of here I am, I am the best, if you want me to do it fine, if not fine!!! He kinda made us laugh! I like him, but he is very smug acting!

I did learn a lot in the seminar. Of course that was before finding LBT too!!! I have learned more here than anywhere I think!!!

Kat

I am going to be banded 04/27/07, but I am getting a little nervous after reading all of this. This is the first site I have found that actually shows some of the down side to the procedure. I think it is great as we need to know what to expect. Could someone please give a short lesson on the lingo tho? ex: PB? I appreciate any help.

Thanks

:help:

Janell,

I was banded the same day, did not have an problems, a little more sore then I thought. How did yours turn out? I have lost 24 pounds, and had one fill at 4 weeks. Now the only thing I have is a little something hurts under my left rib cage, have no Idea wh. Next time I go in a I will have it checked.

Angel P

Dr. Spivak

Texas

I was watching the recording I made of the the documentary Fat - What they don't want you to know. Of course the man I married comes down during the part about the gastric bypass opeation and the cutting of the stomach..he had to come in then. He's been very smug lately since he's dropped even more weight at age 49 because he runs every night and somehow got into the habit of only eating health foods and very light. He never had the food problems I had but he's more obessed with food than I am for sure. The part I can't take is he started screaming ....you don't need that surgery!! You're just lazy.. Trust me guys I have nothing to prove here....I am the most ambitious person I know and have been told that often...lazy is not somthing I am, I work full time, raise a 4th grader and teen am involved with everything at school and in my daughter/s life and take care of everything in the house but to him he konws he did it and is smug. To top it off today is the year anniversary of my sister's sudden death ...she was morbidly obsese and died in her sleep at age 47. He won't even talk about it....yeah he's an emotional cripple but I'm old and fat. And to top of my day, the secy at the surgeon's office whom I thought would proform my lap band proceedure told me I just don't quality! Don't have a co morbidity ...I am 90 lbs over weight but not 100 my BMI's only 38 ...it's against the medical laws she said for him to perform it. Today is not a good day:faint:

I am 90 lbs over weight but not 100 my BMI's only 38 ...it's against the medical laws she said for him to perform it.

That is total garbage! Every doctor in my area advertises that they will band anyone 60 pounds or more overweight.

Hi Charlene...thanks for responding and so soon:think . I live on Long Island NY...that's what she said. That it is forbidden for any doctor to perform the procedure on anyone who has a BMI under 40 with no co morbidity?? Maybe they have more patients than they can handle. You lightened up my whole night. YOu are blessing. I will check out other docs than! thanks again Charlene

Marg

...To top it off today is the year anniversary of my sister's sudden death ...she was morbidly obsese and died in her sleep at age 47. ...

Oh geez, I am so very sorry. Sincerely, I am. (((HUGS)))

As for a BMI of 38, go back and have them reweigh you. This time stuff your pockets, bra, your underwear if you have to with quarters. Wear ankle weights, do whatever you have to in order to get your BMI up to his standards.

As for this law, she's full of crap. Those are the American bariatric society GUIDELINES, not requirements.

I was calling around for a member here on the boards trying to find a reasonably priced surgeon in the US for her. Just for the heck of it I used my info and my current BMI (31) on the forms I filled out. I was just looking for cost, experience, etc.

The office manager emailed me back telling me my BMI was too low for Kirshenbaum (sp?) to do surgery. I responded asking if I should just gain weight to a 40BMI and she said yes.

Some people are just idiots. Understand, I'm not referring to the doc but his office manger. However Dr. K won't band anyone unless they fall into the guidelines either.

In places outside the US they have been banding people for years longer AND they band them with a BMI of 30. THAT makes sense!

Thanks for replying BB. So it is just a guideline...the way she talked or practically yelled at me was like she was stating a law and they were forbidden to break it. Do you think other doctors would consider it even tho your doc and mine don't. I actually didn't think about the ankle weights tho and I do have them! How much could the quarters weight though. I think by the time I am done with the 6 month supervised diet which CIGNA requires I'll gain back like usual with some extra for good meansure and they'll be real happy with my 40 bmi!! thanks again BB .

Sooverit, I am positive there are surgeons who will perform the surgery with a BMI of less than 40. I was definately less than 40, mind you I am from Canada but I have read alot of others post that were conidered "low BMI". In fact if you go to the general forum on this site you will find a thread for low BMI bandsters. Check it out and ask lots of questions. They're a great group.

You are not lazy, your husband has no idea what it's like to have an eating disorder like we do. Take care of yourself and good luck.

Thanks for replying BB. So it is just a guideline...the way she talked or practically yelled at me was like she was stating a law and they were forbidden to break it. Do you think other doctors would consider it even tho your doc and mine don't. I actually didn't think about the ankle weights tho and I do have them! How much could the quarters weight though. I think by the time I am done with the 6 month supervised diet which CIGNA requires I'll gain back like usual with some extra for good meansure and they'll be real happy with my 40 bmi!! thanks again BB .

Kirshenbaum wasn't my doc, I was researching him for someone else. He won't do surgery unless it fits in the guidelines. I went to Mexico however my BMI was high enough (41) but I didn't want to mess with the six month supervised diet nonsense and a doc I didn't really care for. So I just paid cash in Mexico. I'd do the same thing over again as well, just sooner. :)

Lots of doc will operate on a 35BMI person in the US without comorbidities. I'm not really sure that I've heard of a US doc going lower than that. That isn't to say they don't, I'm saying I don't know.