Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Protein, Sugar, Fat Goals/limits

I've seen so many numbers for these....

I'd set my Protein goal for 100, then scaled back to 80. Is that still too high? My NUT guidance is even lower. I'm hitting between 50g and 70g per day.

I've got my daily sugars limit at 40g per day, but I haven't even hit 30g per day yet! How about you?

I've got my daily fat limit at 27g per day. I've gone over twice, but kept it under 40g per day. What's yours? (Fat routinely makes up about 35% of my diet, carbs 30% and protein 35%)

I think the fat is kinda high now (really swings wildly from day to day), but I'm not eating vegetables/fruits yet (still on high-protein puree).

I have been having trouble hitting anything. I eat, but not a lot. I don't feel deprived, I am not hungry. But I eat three times a day. I don't get in Snacks. I need to learn the fine art of adding to for more Protein. Right now I will eat one scrambled egg. Takes me about 40 minutes to eat it. But my WLS handbook suggests cheese with the egg (for more protein) and 1-2 tablespoons of cooked Cereal or yogurt. I can't do that much at one time. Not yet anyway...So I am still a work in progress. Even working on fluids. (doing better there)

I'm pre op and currently 54% Protein, 28% carbs and 18% protein. I'm losing weight and I hope to continue those numbers after surgery but with real food.

My clinic has all of us sleevers on 80 g Protein, 60 max carbs (no more than 20 at a time) and 30 fat. Not saying this is the best combo for everyone, but it works pretty well.

What worked for me was 40% Protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs.

So at 600 calories that's 60g Protein, 27g fat and 30g carbs. I used this all through my losing phase. Then when I hit maintenance I raised my calories and changed my ratios to more like 45-50% fat, 35% protein and 15-20% carbs. This works very well for me...fueling my long runs. I've never had a problem with healthy fats and I don't believe the old no fat/low fat line of thinking is healthy. Dietary fats do not equate to body fat, they equate to fuel. Anyway....just my approach. Certainly not the only way to do things.

What worked for me was 40% Protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs. So at 600 calories that's 60g protein, 27g fat and 30g carbs. I used this all through my losing phase. Then when I hit maintenance I raised my calories and changed my ratios to more like 45-50% fat, 35% protein and 15-20% carbs. This works very well for me...fueling my long runs. I've never had a problem with healthy fats and I don't believe the old no fat/low fat line of thinking is healthy. Dietary fats do not equate to body fat, they equate to fuel. Anyway....just my approach. Certainly not the only way to do things.

That's what I do too, 700 calorie max, 40 protein, 40 fat, and 20 carbs. And I don't eat back any exercise calories as a rule unless I'm just really starving, the. I might have a few.

Thanks everyone. I've reset my carbs and fat, and went back to review my high carb items over the past two weeks to learn what I should do without.

It's a shame that refried Beans are so high in carbs....

What low-carb healthy fats are you guys eating? I'm guessing nuts, peanut/almond butter, olive oil, avocado, cheese...

I eat an average of 600 calories per day, try to get in at least 60 grams of Protein, and no more than 20 grams of carbs per day (almost never eat 20 grams). Fat is usually around 27 grams per day. I've been losing well following this, so I'm sticking with it.

I do allow myself one splurge day per week, which is usually Saturday. I don't splurge all day, but this is the day I will have a taste of dessert or something else I've been craving outside of the guidelines I've set for myself.

At 2+ weeks out, I'm hitting Protein fine, but I feel like my carbs are too high and fats too low as I transition back to "real" food. I am not a fan of the idea of nonfat everything and artificial sweeteners that my nutritionist is so set on. No one has (yet) given me an upper limit on carbs; I think because I'm supposed to be using artificial sweeteners if at all.

It's all very interesting. At this point I can't do much about it, but I am watching it carefully as I go forward.

I am such a mental case. Ate 750 calories today instead of the 500 to 600 I have been eating. All Protein. Now I am freaking out. I seem to forget the days I ways eating 3000. Oh well. Just needed to vent. Also doing 40 40 20 and trying to do 5 meals.

Fluff:

I'm having trouble reining in the carbs and ramping up the fats too, but today is only my second day on soft foods.

I have 2oz of cooked (mashed) carrots today!!! Can't wait!! I missed veggies!

Butter: When can I eat almonds??

OK, been doing a little research (this is for you too, Fluff). I have a list of foods that are high in good fats. Problem is, I still can't eat most of them for the next month (on soft foods). Butter: I didn't see whole eggs on any of the lists, but I eat plenty of those anyway.

Please add anything that I've overlooked! Going shopping tonight.

OK NOW (soft) foods:

Bacon cooked SOFT

Olives/Olive Oil

Lamb

Avocado

Duck Breast

Pork

Salmon

NOT YET foods:

Bacon cooked CRISPY

Pinenuts

Peanut/Almond Butter

Hazelnuts

Flax seeds

Pistachios

Walnuts

Sunflower seeds

Almonds

Cashews

Sesame seeds

SPECIAL TREAT:

Dark chocolate

This is so great, thanks! I may put some Peanut Butter into a Protein shake or Cream of Wheat. Otherwise I need to wait for a couple of weeks too, but I will be so happy when I can shift things around. Thank you OWB!

And if any of you vets have ideas for ways to increase the fat a bit in the full liquid phase, I'd love to hear it. I'm of course having cream Soups, but that's about as far as I've taken it.