Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dry Scalp

Guest Dazzey1977

Guest Dazzey1977

Does anyone have dry scalp problems after surgery or after a fill? Or maybe its just me. Or maybe the weather. Please advise. Thanks.

Besides excessive hair loss, I also noticed that my hair and scalp felt extremely dry. This started about 2-3 months after my first banding and I had to bump up my Protein (I think I need in excess of 60 grams a day)... all of this was appearing to get better when I had to be re-banded, so I am expecting it to happen all over again... Wait, I take that back... this time I am going to try and keep up on my Protein so maybe I can avoid it all this time around.

I have tried a 'scalp soothing' lotion from head & shoulders, it smells nice and helps with ichy dry scalp. I normally have dry hair to begin with, so I just make sure to wash with a moisturizing Shampoo and deep condition with every shampoo. I also use a little moisterizing cream or oil once my hair has air dried.

Check your protein intake and also your fats... if you are not eating enough good fats in your diet, this can cause dry skin/scalp as well.

Good luck.

Hmmm..funny you should post about this. I have noticed the same problem I justthought it was the weather. I have never had dry scalp until now, maybe it is from being banded. I wil lhave to really be aware of my Protein intake.

<--- amazed yet again, at the invaluable education you all provide, and adding symptoms of protein/fat deficiency to my list... :)

I use Instacure everyday, however - I've had TWO surgeries in the past 8 weeks and sadly, my scalp seems extra dry, my hair seems to be falling out worse than it ever did before. :) I hate to take in too much Protein, however.

I may have to look into some sort of hair repair or something. I'll consult my hairdresser.

I'm really not happy about this. :D

Leatha - Several years back, one of my neighbors went on a low fat diet. She lost almost all of her hair. She went to her Dr.s and they told her they didn't know why she lost it. She came over to my Mom's and ask her to ask me if I knew what could have caused it. I was going to beautician school at the time. I told my Mom if her Doctors don't know why, why in the world would she think I would. Well, I told her she probably had cut too much oil/fat out of her diet. She actually said she had cut all oils/fat out and didn't eat any at all. She added the oils back into her diet and her hair grew back.

A few years after that, WW had problems with their program and people losing their hair. The too had cut the oil/fats so low in their program that they had to add more back into it. It is worth a try for you to add a little more to your daily routine and see if that will work for you. Just a thought!

Betty

Originally posted by Iluvharleys

. Well, I told her she probably had cut too much oil/fat out of her diet. She actually said she had cut all oils/fat out and didn't eat any at all. She added the oils back into her diet and her hair grew back.

Betty

Thanks Betty! Maybe I'll try tracking my food for a few days again to see where my fats fall. Since I'm really not 'dieting', I tend to lean more toward the anesthesia and surgery stress of late. Could be a combination of several things, I'm sure!

Thanks,

Leatha

Who weighs 183 this morning!