Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know if the fill is too tight

I had surgery on June 28th, with my first fill I felt no restriction. So I had a second fill 3 weeks later. On yesterday evening after the fill I was able to eat and keep down a small piece of salmon and about a quarter of a bake potato. This morning I was unable to keep down an egg. How do I know if I'm too "full" or perhaps I need to adjust to the new way of eating? I read somewhere that you may feel more fullness in the morning?

Butta

It is very common to be more tight in the mornings. Some people drink warm liquids and this tends to relax the band some. I have a problem with eggs too. If I scramble them, I have to mush them with the fork before I eat them or they'll surely get stuck. :)

Interestingly, though. I can eat a Protein bar - which I do often.

You may want to try some different things. Maybe a Protein Drink in the mornings or Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Maybe try a warm drink first, then some harder Proteins.??

Hi Butta,

It's so funny that I was just about to post the same question. I also had my surgery on June 28th and my second fill 3 weeks after the first because I also felt no restriction and was able to eat way too much (like an entire slice of pizza and still feel I could eat something more). I am now only able to eat about 1/4 cup (possibly not even that much) of soft and solid foods at a time regardless of the time of day or type of food. I am also experiencing a lot of trapped air when I eat without the ability to really belch it up. I am eating extremely slowly and only the tiniest of bites at a time. I have to drink Water slower than I was able to before as well. My band holds 4cc's. My first fill was at 1.5cc's. I am now adjusted to 2cc's. I am very uncomfortable after just a few bites and stop eating at that point because I feel it will easily come up. I think it is more the trapped air that is making digesting a very uncomfortable experience and causing me to stop eating at that point.

Gail

Thanks for noticing Leatha. I had plateaued for 3 weeks and then the lbs. suddenly started moving downward again. I am so determinined and exited about making this work. You just made my evening.

Gail:banana

Gail, my experience was similiar. After about a week thing got better. I still have problems first thing in the morning. So now I normally start my day with a cup of coffee or tea and eat my first meal around 9 or 10 AM.

To the experienced bandster any comments on how to eliminate the feeling of wanting to belch, but can't.

Butta.

Guest mistycat

I'm looking into the lap band surgery. Can anyone explain what a "fill" is and why you keep having to go back for it?

Thanks

Gail and Butta, you're still learning how to operate with restriction. Lots of people eat in such a way that they swallow air, and that's a habit that really has to be broken post-banding. Pay attention when you chew and try to keep your mouth closed between taking a bite and swallowing.

Your small piece of salmon and 1/4 of a baked potato sounds like a reasonable meal for someone with very good restriction. And if that went down readily I'd say you're not too tight. I have trouble with eggs too; have never been able to eat them really at all since banding. And in the morning I eat a Protein bar for Breakfast, Leatha, with no trouble; they really melt into nothing which makes them easy to tolerate.

I think the situation will improve as you learn to take in less air when eating. Good luck!!

Thanks Alex for the advice. I gave my fill a try for 2 weeks, but I have only been able to keep down two to three small bites of food each meal (soft or solids). Any more than that comes right up. Last Monday I asked my surgeon to back off some Fluid from 2cc to 1.75cc. I was told that because my food had been coming up every day for two weeks that they should completely empty the band and wait a week before they try to refill it. They said that this is because I am certain to be swollen and to prevent prolapse. I can eat normally again without digesting air as well. I can't wait till next Monday. I didn't realize how much I am now depending on the band to guide me. I hope this answers the question about whether one is too tight or not.

Originally posted by Alexandra

Gail and Butta, you're still learning how to operate with restriction. Lots of people eat in such a way that they swallow air, and that's a habit that really has to be broken post-banding. Pay attention when you chew and try to keep your mouth closed between taking a bite and swallowing.

Your small piece of salmon and 1/4 of a baked potato sounds like a reasonable meal for someone with very good restriction. And if that went down readily I'd say you're not too tight. I have trouble with eggs too; have never been able to eat them really at all since banding. And in the morning I eat a Protein bar for breakfast, Leatha, with no trouble; they really melt into nothing which makes them easy to tolerate.

I think the situation will improve as you learn to take in less air when eating. Good luck!!

Yes. I do too.. ?? lol

Originally posted by Gail

Thanks Alex for the advice. I gave my fill a try for 2 weeks, but I have only been able to keep down two to three small bites of food each meal (soft or solids). Any more than that comes right up. Last Monday I asked my surgeon to back off some Fluid from 2cc to 1.75cc. I was told that because my food had been coming up every day for two weeks that they should completely empty the band and wait a week before they try to refill it. They said that this is because I am certain to be swollen and to prevent prolapse. I can eat normally again without digesting air as well. I can't wait till next Monday. I didn't realize how much I am now depending on the band to guide me. I hope this answers the question about whether one is too tight or not.

Wow. let us know how that goes, Gail. You're right. It's tough to be totally unfilled. It feels very strange. I've missed it alot. I get to see my doc tomorrow for my first post-op visit. I'm hoping to find some restriction. Now, if I can just get enough and not too much. :mad: He does his fills without flouro - personally, I prefer flouro. We'll see how it goes.

Leatha

Leatha,

Good luck tomorrow. I know starting over was real tough on you. I admire your strength. You have been wonderful support.

Gail

Hi Butta,

Just an update. I had my band completely emptied, waited a week, for any swelling to go down because I Pb'ed so much, and then was refilled .25cc less than before. Eating and drinking is now a pleasure. No more trapped air and unable to burp, no more Pb's, or stuck feeling. Now I know from experience what too tight feels like. You basically just can't eat more than a bite or two without pain and everthing coming back up.

Gail