Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

should I still be in pain 3 weeks after Surgery?

Hi, I am new to LBT, and sorry I didnt find it earlier!

I have a problem.:help:

I was banded 3 weeks ago and I still have a BAD pulling pain on my left hand side, about 2 inches below my port scar. It doesnt bother me at all UNLESS I brush my hair into a pony tail (its very long), wash my hair, deodorize or anything that makes me lift my arms above my head for more than a second or two. To give you an idea, I actually went to the hairdressers today for a wash and blow dry as I could not face washing it myself and having it pull!!

I am paranoid about swimming, because I just know that this is going to kill me.

The pain is difficult to describe... it actually feels like something is pulling apart...To explain further - in my mind I imagine 2 bits of something like muscles stitched together and them being pulled apart from one another. Obviously I dont know if that is the case, but its kind of what i see in my mind when I feel this pain.

My mind is whiring with all kinds of awful possibilities like the tubing tied up around me about to pop out of the port, or the band caught on some internal organ or something! Its just freaking me out.

Also 2 days ago, i had a bit of 'cat gut' poking out my port scar, and I pulled it a bit as it was scratching me, and about half an inch of stitch came out with the knot on the end!!!!!! so I am freaking out thinking I am coming apart too!!!! I know they disintegrate with body juices, but is it too early for that?

Another person who had surgery the same day as me has not had any pain for over 2 weeks now.... I still dont feel like I can completely resume normal life, and I completely underestimated how long it would take to recover.... Everywhere I have looked pre-op NEVER said it would take long to recover.

I am British and had my surgery in Belgium, so can't just pop in to see my surgeon.

Can any of your gourgeous people help me out and allay my fears?

Today its felt more like a stitch... its so odd.

I have so far not been sick or pb'd or had any other probs.

I am sorry its such a long post, but I really am worried....:think

Banded 14 February 2007

Dr. Dillemans in Brugge, Belgium.

Highest/Pre-op/Current/Goal

265/252/237/160

weight.png

Hi

Just a quick reply about the stitch that you pulled out. I have a scar right under my bra line at the front and it has never healed following surgery. When I was about three weeks post op. It was becoming a little infected so I went to my own doctors and a nurse actually found a stitch and pulled it out (just as you described) The scar is now healing really well. She did say that your body sometimes reacts to the stitches and that is why the scars do not heal as well.

About your pain I can not help I am afraid. I have a recuring pain in the middle of my breast bone but I believe this is just the band settling in.

Hope someone else comes back with some advice for you

xxxx

I did head back to the Dr because I thought I was going to DIE from where ever the stupid port was. I know this sounds crazy, but I wore a tummy tucker panel that went up to my bra, that was a size or 2 bigger then I normally would have wore. That helped me sooooo much. It gave me support, and let my muscles rest, kinda protected it so I didnt bump it, and prevented my pants from cutting into it. Week 4 was soo much better. I was able to sleep without moving and waking myself up, and even sleep on my tummy! Hang in there, get your rest. I had to constantly remind myself I did just have surgery!

What you are experiencing sounds perfectly normal to me. Many bandsters complain of port pain or discomfort off and on for the first year. It does get better, I promise. Most surgeons sew the port directly to the muscle so that it is more secure. Unfortunalte it also makes it more tender for a while. Just take it easy, supporting the port site is a good idea, whether with a support garment or simply by firmly pressing the area with your hand for momentary discomfort. As for fixing your hair, I didn't want to do mine for several weeks either and it was just past my shoulders, so you are definitely not alone there. If it eases your mind to see a doctor go for it, but I doubt anything is wrong. I understand the feeling like you are gonna fall apart with the stitch thing. I experienced those same fears, it was my very first surgery and I was afraid I was just gonna bust right open, but I didn't. Just relax and visit this site anytime you need advice or for someone to reassure you that is what we are here for :girl_hug: Congratulations on entering Bandland :cake:

Thank you all so much. It has allayed my fears to be honest. I know now that I am not alone!! #

Thank you UKangel for addding your bit about the stitch. At least I know I dont have to get my cotton out!!

and thank you bubblebutt, bretta and waterlily. Each of you has given me something to strengthen me.

I am so glad I foudn this site!!

All the best.

Bunny