Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the lap band for 10 years....don't do it.

Personally, I think Mexico is a great self pay option.

In my opinion, you should see other doctors to see if you get a different answer. My doc told me that gastric sleevers lose less weight than lap band or bypass patients. Since you have less to lose, it makes sense that a sleeve would be a good choice. As well, there is less potential for post-surgery issues with digestion over the long haul.

There are a lot of doctors out there, so you don't need to stick with the one who gives you ONE opinion. This is a big step.....you would feel OK getting a second opinion about any other major surgery, right? Check other clinics and hospitals.....do some research online to find other surgeons who might have a different philosophy.

Good luck!

I have an appointment with another surgeon tomorrow. Whatever he tells me, I will NOT be getting a lap band. I just don't feel that is something that I want. I heard too many negatives with it. I have looked into Mexico also, but my husband is not on board with that (yet). I am thinking that if this doctor tells me he won't do it, then it isn't meant to be for me and I will have to rethink my lifestyle. Thank you for all the input. It is always encouraging and helpful to hear from others who have gone through this ride. :)

I am not counting myself out yet. I met with another surgeon today, and it looks more promising. He didn't agree with the lap band procedure for me and if I qualify, he will perform a VSG on me. I just have to jump through the hoops now. I have an appointment for a sleep apnea test and my insurance requires me to weigh in with my PCP once a month for six months, so I am on that for this month. I hate to have to look for the negative, but if I have sleep apnea, it is almost a done deal. I appreciate everyone's input on this crazy journey.

I am not counting myself out yet. I met with another surgeon today, and it looks more promising. He didn't agree with the lap band procedure for me and if I qualify, he will perform a VSG on me. I just have to jump through the hoops now. I have an appointment for a sleep apnea test and my insurance requires me to weigh in with my PCP once a month for six months, so I am on that for this month. I hate to have to look for the negative, but if I have sleep apnea, it is almost a done deal. I appreciate everyone's input on this crazy journey.

YAY I'm glad you found a sleeve doc. Good luck with your pre-op diets and with the sleep study!! :)

I was a 41 bmi, with co morbitities., they discovered sleep apnea in Pre op testing..

I had been overweight for 30 years.

My insurance company required a 6 month program. That was fine. I lost 30 pounds on the 6 month program. The best part if the program was it got me in the groove. I was living and eating as if I was sleeved.

I originally wanted a lap band, but, after research I decided to go VSG.

I heard too many bands had to be replaced. ( one guy had it done 7 times)

Also I liked the VSG because it was permanent.

Check with another doctor. And try to live the postoperative life.

My advice is too start your pre-op work up . GERD , sleep apnea may show up on those work ups. Look for another surgeon; lap band is falling out of favor in the medical community due to potential complications down the road. BTW I was approved with a BMI of 36 on my first try. My only comorbidity is GERD. It's possible.

I only had a bmi of 35 when I started the process. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and high cholesterol during preop testing and my insurance covered my surgery.

I received some good (?) news today. After participating in a sleep study, I found out that I have sleep apnea. Yeah, I think. That is a plus as far as my insurance coverage is concerned. Taking the next step and thinking positively.