Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Olive/darker skinned men/women and scarring from surgery

See your dermatologist. Cocoa butter and bleaching creams might work.

Ooh I hadn't thought of bleaching creams. What a great idea! Thank you.

I think PS really take special care as to how they sew, tape, or glue us up. My LBL flat scar has almost blended into my natural light brown skin color. It is just a little darker. It looks much better than my VS scars. My VS scars look exactly like Laura's too. I did not treat my VS scars with silicon wraps, and now they are raised and dark. They will still be there even after a TT or LBL just a little lower. My advice - treat them now while they are still fairly new, then later when you have plastics, they will not be as noticeable. I plan on asking my PS for scar treatment on my VS scars when I see him again because nothing I do is helping. Of course my VS was back in 2011. :-). :-) :-)

Also when you are ready for plastic surgery, be sure to choose a doctor that understands and frequently work with those of us with tan pigmentation. They understand any mistakes will show up!

Edited by Sweetpee

I think PS really take special care as to how they sew' date=' tape, or glue us up. My LBL flat scar has almost blended into my natural light brown skin color. It is just a little darker. It looks much better than my VS scars. My VS scars look exactly like Laura's too. I did not treat my VS scars with silicon wraps, and now they are raised and dark. They will still be there even after a TT or LBL just a little lower. My advice - treat them now while they are still fairly new, then later when you have plastics, they will not be as noticeable. I plan on asking my PS for scar treatment on my VS scars when I see him again because nothing I do is helping. Of course my VS was back in 2011. :-). :-) :-)[/quote']

I'm not exactly you sure HOW to treat them effectively. The research I've read says the only thing that helps is to keep them moisturized and that baby oil or cheap lotion would work as well as mederma. Silicone strips have some suggestions of efficacy but not sure if that's real or not.

It doesn't seem quite clear what I should be doing.

Silicon has really helped my LBL scar as well as having a very skilled surgeon.

I use GelZone.com wrap for my LBL. I wish I had known about it for my VS scar, because it would have made them almost disappear. Well, I live and learn.

I did not do anything for my VS scars and I regret it now. I am glad you are thinking ahead.

I'm half Hispanic. My scars tend to take decades to fade.

post-58160-13838397004578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wags

Hey Laura, check out those ENTIRELY RANDOM pics that appeared instead of yours.

I'm half Hispanic. My scars tend to take decades to fade.

Mine look like that too. Although I don't have the cute "x marks the spot" one that you have. How far out are you?

PS told me silicon sheets are best. IF you use a cream you need to massage it in 3-4 Times a day, without the massage mederma is ineffective.

BY if you do plastics definitely look at someone with lots of experience with darker complexions.

Hey Laura, check out those ENTIRELY RANDOM pics that appeared instead of yours.

Ok I think I fixed it!! That was scary! :P

PS told me silicon sheets are best. IF you use a cream you need to massage it in 3-4 Times a day, without the massage mederma is ineffective. BY if you do plastics definitely look at someone with lots of experience with darker complexions.

That's a good point. I need to ask about that.

I went to the website and am intrigued. What is not clear to me - do the cold wraps have silicone in them or do you wear this OVER silicon sheets?

Also, the studies say to wear the sheets at least 12 hours a day, but their website says to not wear for more then 8 hours due to moisture build up.

I still have scabbing, so not quite ready to start the scar treatment - but soon.

Silicon has really helped my LBL scar as well as having a very skilled surgeon.

I use GelZone.com wrap for my LBL. I wish I had known about it for my VS scar, because it would have made them almost disappear. Well, I live and learn.

I did not do anything for my VS scars and I regret it now. I am glad you are thinking ahead.

Mine look like that too. Although I don't have the cute "x marks the spot" one that you have. How far out are you?

I'm 5 1/2 months out.

Alright, I am african american and we have hyperpigmentation issues. Actually anyone with olive to dark skin does. I stumbled across ProActiv's dark blemish corrector for some old pimple spots and found that it really works! The only problem with the Proactiv company is that when you order anything from them you are put on a continual charging and receiving plan. Be careful! I haven't found anything better thusfar.

I went to the website and am intrigued. What is not clear to me - do the cold wraps have silicone in them or do you wear this OVER silicon sheets?

Also, the studies say to wear the sheets at least 12 hours a day, but their website says to not wear for more then 8 hours due to moisture build up.

I still have scabbing, so not quite ready to start the scar treatment - but soon.

I am wondering this myself. It almost looks like there is silicone on the inner side of the wrap. Is that right? Does anyone know?

Alright, I am african american and we have hyperpigmentation issues. Actually anyone with olive to dark skin does. I stumbled across ProActiv's dark blemish corrector for some old pimple spots and found that it really works! The only problem with the Proactiv company is that when you order anything from them you are put on a continual charging and receiving plan. Be careful! I haven't found anything better thusfar.

Really? That's good to know. I might look it up and see what if has in it. I haven't keloided, so it's more a matter of bleaching item. Good idea! Thank you :)