Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just back from Las Vegas (BABY!)

So, I just got back from a computer conference in Vegas for 5 days and I thought I would report on what it was like. For those who don't know me, I was sleeved 07/08/2011 and have been maintaining at goal since 03/2012.

The conference supplied a continental Breakfast buffet everyday which consisted of:

fruit (melons, berries, pineapple), cereals, yogurt and about 7 different danish/roll type things. Oh, also had a variety of Odwalla juices and of course, coffee.< /p>

lunch was a choice of two different meat dishes, one poultry and the other a beef item. One day was spaghetti and meatballs. The had a salad, bread rolls and two choices for vegetables. Again, this was buffet style.

First off, those who read a lot around here might remember food was limitless and I wouldn't be able to abuse food the way I had before. I learned a lot about myself and the strength my sleeve gave me on that trip and I am happy to report I had no anxiety going to Vegas knowing that pretty much 67% of my meals were going to be from a buffet and I was going to be surrounded by a large percentage of people who were going to be eating quite large portions.

So, for breakfast, I would take some fruit a yogurt and the yummiest looking danish thingy I saw. I would start with my yogurt because I knew that had the biggest nutritional impact of my choices. There was no way I was going to be able to eat all the fruit I took and I was able to have about two bites of the danish. I also took one of the Odwalla drinks ... the superfoods one with the spiralla (sp?) stuff in it. Since I was at a conference and breaks were few and far in-between (and I would spend most of that break time speaking to the presenter) I knew I did not have time to snack in between sessions, so I would be able to drink that and not make noise of opening a Protein Bar or the like.

Lunches were similar in that I would grab some salad, some veggies and each of the meat selections. Like suggested by the guidelines, I would eat the meat first having about 3 bites putting down my utensil after each bite and chewing well. The first day the server asked me wanted to drink and looked at me funny when I said, "Nothing, thanks!", so I would order a Water, but never drank from it. Besides ... it's water from Vegas ... have you ever tried that stuff? OY! Anyhew, after about 3 bites of meat, I would have a couple bites of salad (with the dressing) and a couple bites of veggies. All together, I would say about 10 bites and I was stuffed to the gills. I had no anxiety about the others stuffing themselves around me and was able to move on to the next session and NOT be in a food coma ... unlike a lot of my cohorts.

At night, I went to fabulous restaurants: Emeril's (amazing chowder with half a roll and I had gumbo another night ... incredible) Hugo's Cellar (by far the best salad ... I've been going there for it for over 20 years, but had leftovers this time) and Wolfgang Puck's splitting a cheese burger (I removed the top bun and had a couple fries). I don't drink, but am in AA as a recovering alcoholic. I would have loved to have either met up with other WLS folks or gone to an AA meeting, but I simply had no time.

Did a little bit of gambling and came home about $175 ahead. So, no anxiety about food and had a great time. No food or alcohol hangovers and had a great time with my fellow computer geeks. Shows me that life with the sleeve means so much MORE, not less.

You can do this deal ... really.

Edited by PdxMan

Thank you so much for sharing. I've wondered what it will be like. I just submitted a paper for a conference in february, which will occur when I am 4 months out. I hope it goes like yours!

Good to hear I am going to a conference next week in st Louis and know that we will also do meals I attended one in corpus Christ and was able to eat fruits for breakfast with a Protein bar during sessions teas at break time...sandwhich meats and cheeses at lunch one day they had chicken salad sandwhiches so I had just the meat and some chips...its doable I love being able to make better decisions