Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

going crazy

OK, what an old subject! I mean, its obviously old to those of you that are pleased with your results so far. (that sounds tacky, but I dont mean for it to be)

Its the weight thing again.... I just dont understand it! I weigh every morning (and please PLEASE dont suggest for me not to do this). I lost 12 lbs right after getting the band (on liquids) and didnt lose another ounce until my first fill (fortunately I didnt gain -due to diet pills). Then it was down another 10 within 2 weeks. You didnt hear me complain about that; but now things seem to be on the up - again - like 5 pounds up. And I HATE taking those diet pills, but Im ready to get them out again.

Im really getting aggravated with this band. And for the most part, the weight gain makes me WANT to eat. If I starve - I gain. So why not eat and gain... at least Im enjoying myself. And NO its NOT pms stuff. That was 2 weeks ago when I lost the 10 pounds (I know, this is crazy).

And then there's the fill.

Let's see... Saturday was the last time I pb'd from getting the hang of having the first fill.

I called my doc today and "they" told me to come in next Tuesday for another fill... but is that the answer???

Maybe I should try the "liquids only" for a couple of days.... maybe that will help.

Delarla, Theresa.... what did YOU do to get back into losing???

Paula...

What is it that you are eating in a day? Do you follow the bandster rules? Like eating your Proteins first (hard proteins)? Do you drink liquid calories? DO you drink enough Water in a day? All of these things make a huge difference. Do you eat junk food? Are you getting in enough calories? What about exercise...if you can answer to yourself honestly that you are doing all the things a bandster should be doing and still are not losing weight then maybe you do need another fill, but if your answer is NO then I would definately wait on the fill and just take a look at what you are doing and see if you can make some changes as simple as adding more Water & exercise to your diet.. When the body goes into starvation mode you will not lose..so if you are not consuming enough calories, that could be your problem...Starving yourself is not the answer.I'm not going to tell you to not get on the scale everyday but For me NOT getting on the scale everyday is the only thing that helps me from obsessing about my wieght loss and helped me get back on a losing trend..when I used to get on the scale everyday and did not see a loss I would get so frustrated and discouraged..all I wanted to do was eat becasue I was not losing anyways...but since then for me only weighing once a week..the last 9 weeks in a row have been a 1-3 pound loss & I'm lovin' it!

Good Luck to you, I hope things get better for you

Hang in there, no one ever said this was going to be easy :)

Paula, don't be so hard on yourself! You've lost 21 pounds in a really short period! I agree w/Michelle. Please check what you're eating (protein first, then veg.), Water amt. (drink, drink, drink - except w/meals), and regular exercise (something you enjoy and will stick with). It doesn't sound like you need another fill yet. If you're pbing, that's something we need to avoid as much as necessary! I think all liquids meals are just going to make you hungrier. Please try to eat nutrious, solid foods that will "stick to your ribs" longer. You already have your band. It will be there when you need it. Best of luck to you!:)

Paula,

It's very common for newly banded people to be frustrated in the beginning. Remember, this is a slow weight loss surgery. It is not meant for you to drop the weight EVERY day or EVERY week. The 'average' is 5-10lbs per month. It is said 'average' because you simply may not lose every week or even every month, but you will average out over a period of time.

If you are pb'ing, I'm not sure a fill is a good choice. But, I have attached a link that you should save to your favorites and use on a regular basis for this type of frustration.

I struggle all the time, but I can honestly say I know it's because the choices I make are not always the best. Even more funny, sometimes I think I've really pigged out, then I drop 5lbs at a time. Our bodies are just beginning to understand what it is we're doing. At first, they'll balk, but you may be 'compacting' due to a new exercise regime. The band can only meet us halfway and I promise to you that you will NOT be the one person it doesn't work for if you are doing your half. :)

Here's the link: http://bigolalaskan.com/lapband/fills.htm

Also, it might help to track your intake through www.fitday.com for a few days just to see where your Protein, carbs, fat, calories all really landing. It is possible you're eating too little, or too much. Or maybe your carbs are too high. Some of us just cannot lose on carbs. If I focus on my Protein, I will lose everytime!!

This, from your band mom! Who weighs 185 this morning. :D

Thanks everyone!

Michelle.... I may try not weighing for a week (not promising though). I drink PLENTY of Water (NO liquid calories - at all), I do hard protien first, soft second. But I think the problem is that even though the food is low-carb, I eat ALOT of it. Like 2 meat patties at a time.... 3 protien bars at a time.... Im hungry, so I eat! Maybe a second fill IS what I need.

Leatha.... lap-band mom, I just love you! Im gonna look at those 2 sites. Thanks.

Paula, if you can eat two patties at one time or three (three?!?) Protein bars at a time, you DEFINITELY need a fill! I can hardly finish one Protein Bar, and that's a whole meal for me.

If you've already lost 21 lbs without any restriction (which is what it sounds like to me), congratulations!!! You're doing great!

The trickiest part of this whole process is pretty much where you are: You have a fill that doesn't seem to be helping with hunger, but you are feeling restriction that keeps you from eating quickly. Now is the time to concentrate on eating SLOWLY, and letting your head catch up with your stomach and learning what the new full feels like. It is definitely possible to be FULL on less food, but it's a mental game as much as physical in these early stages.

Take it slow and walk away after ONE Protein Bar or ONE meat patty. That is about the amount of Protein that should be in one meal. Good luck!