Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doubts: sleeve necessary?

I still have about 6 months before my surgery, but the more I learn the more it seems that the biggest part of weight loss post-sleeve is being aware of what you're eating, making good decisions, Portion Control, etc....which for me begs the question, how much of this weight loss is because of the sleeve, and how much is just "following the rules" and doing it the old fashioned way? I'm not doubting the tool's effectiveness, I guess I'm just wondering how necessary is it if the objective is to be counting and measuring and limiting for the rest of my life regardless? I still want to do it, just trying to get some first hand feedback....

The "sleeve" limits the amount you are able to eat. The better your diet the more you will lose.

Hello pretty girl! I see you figured out the posting thing :)

Ok why the sleeve, good question. Yes we do kinda have to measure things out especially in the beginning or there can be some unpleasant consequences..

But another reason is with the reduced capacity it becomes all that more important that you get adequate Protein, Vitamins, etc..

So measuring, weighing your food and recording Proteins is most important.

Now as you get further out it becomes easier to keep track because you have your go too Protein sources. For instance right now I'm eating my Greek yogurt at 20 grams so bam 20 down forty to go today..

This is actually my first meal of the day because I'm not hungry (it happens sometimes :P) and I've taken three bites and I'm writing this to give a myself a rest because I'm full!

The sleeve makes it easier to stick to these rules.

Some of us still have hunger and I still have my days that I struggle mentally. But the sleeve has given me time and space to work on those additive traits.

Edited by laura-ven

Hi Midnight, of course this is just my own 2 cents, but, even before I had the sleeve I weighed and measured my food. I had tried every diet known to man and just couldn't lose any significant amount of weight. So now with the sleeve the things that I did before actually contribute to me being able to lose the weight. I'm sure once we get further out like laura-ven said we will have go to items that we automatically know what they count for, but for me I need the acountablity of measuring, weighing and keying things into my calorie counter because when I don't is when things start to slide. I can go for longer times between meals now with the sleeve and am not constantly looking for my next snack or meal. The restriction the sleeve provides is what allows me to only eat what I need, and not graze like a cow.

80% sleeve, 20% following the rules. If you could lose weight and not worry about being overweight you wouldn't need the surgery, right?

It is natural to have doubts leading up to a major surgery, but if you are doubting the necessity of the sleeve (or any of these types of surgeries) for you, then it might not be time for you to take this step. I waited an entire year based on my doubt that RnY was right for me, so I said I would do it on my own. A year later I weighed more than I'd started at, which was a bummer, but I also learned for the first time in February 2013 about this thing called the "sleeve." That's when it all came together for me and I knew the time and procedure was exactly right for me.

As for the surgery, the sleeve removes the ability to eat massive quantities of food, and many people experience much less hunger. I am losing weight slowly since being sleeved and it is the best thing I've done for myself since becoming obese. I wish this opportunity had been around 10 years ago! My personal experience so far has been that I can have a little of something and be satisfied, rather than 2 or 3 helpings of something. I eat in tiny quantities and I'm not hungry. White carbs like bread make me super sick to my stomach. I can have my favorite foods but in moderation (except for maybe certain bread products. I've only tried 2 types since surgery and it didn't go well). After about week 4, I had learned my measuring as compared to my sleeve's capacity, so I don't measure now unless it's a new food I haven't tried since surgery, or something I think might bug my stomach, and then I try a tiny bit first to see if the sleeve appreciates the food (example: spicy food). Other people might obsessively measure everything that goes in their mouths. That's ok too. Your experience, if you end up getting surgery, will be your own.

I should also mention that since surgery and my post op weight loss so far, my BP is way down, and my sleep apnea seems to have disappeared. I need surgery on my left knee, but the pain has really subsided since losing weight after surgery. I will still have knee surgery eventually but at least the 2 years of chronic daily pain is gone. That's worth it right there for me.

I don't know if any of this is helpful - your decision about surgery and the eventual worthiness of getting the sleeve procedure can only come from you. Good luck.

Edited by Shells_Almost_There