Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Post-Ops: Intubation

So I'm finally approved by my insurance and I'm going in for my final visit to set a date this coming week! The only thing that really still makes me nervous, to be honest, is the intubation; specifically will it still be in place when I wake up?

I remember my surgeon told me originally that I would have to be "awake" before they could remove it, but I have also heard others say that what they consider "awake" is probably different than what most people consider awake. Maybe its more of the twilight phase of anaesthesia most of us had with our endoscopies? I have a pretty strong gag reflex, and my biggest fear is not being able to breathe, so I am nervous I might wake up and try to rip it out myself.

The worst part about intubation: no singing for a full two months after! I'm a vocalist and I sing everywhere..even in the grocery store! It will be so worth it to get the sleeve, just hard to not be the Bette Middler of my local grocery store for awhile! :lol:

Mine was taken out before I woke up. I just had like a sore throat for a little but then it went away.

So I'm finally approved by my insurance and I'm going in for my final visit to set a date this coming week! The only thing that really still makes me nervous' date=' to be honest, is the intubation; specifically will it still be in place when I wake up? I remember my surgeon told me originally that I would have to be "awake" before they could remove it, but I have also heard others say that what they consider "awake" is probably different than what most people consider awake. Maybe its more of the twilight phase of anaesthesia most of us had with our endoscopies? I have a pretty strong gag reflex, and my biggest fear is not being able to breathe, so I am nervous I might wake up and try to rip it out myself. The worst part about intubation: no singing for a full two months after! I'm a vocalist and I sing everywhere..even in the grocery store! It will be so worth it to get the sleeve, just hard to not be the Bette Middler of my local grocery store for awhile! :lol: [/quote']

I have been intubated for surgery three times in the past four years, and never was I awake for extubation. I just had orthopedic surgery on 10/15, so I remember what waking up from anesthesia felt like - it felt like someone shaking me awake from a really great dream. So please take that off of your list of worries!

5 surgeries in the past decade, never had tube in while is was awake. Expect a sore throat though.

Anesthesia has a different definition of awake (I know because I work with anesthesia during cases at times). Basically to be extubated you have to be breathing on your own. They give you medications that take away the body's desire to breathe so when your case is over they will give you reversal drugs to wake up your body. Once you wake up and start breathing without any complications they will take the tube out.

Like the others said, they didn't mean wide awake to be extubated. In this case, awake = breathing on your own. I've been a recovery room nurse and have extubated lots of people. The tube comes out as soon as you start to arouse and demonstrate you can breath independently and are not tolerating the tube. You still have enough amnesic drugs on board that it's not likely you would even remember that. I never had a patient say anything about it when they actually woke up.

Wow, thank you, everyone! That does put my mind at ease! :) Now I can stop worrying and go on being excited for my new life to start! woohoo!

Hi! I'm a nurse anesthetist. :) Please don't worry about these things. (I know easier said than done!) You will probably not even remember that tube being in at all! Most people don't! Also- let the anesthesia folks on the day of surgery know that you are a vocalist. Ask them to use the smallest tube that they can safely use for you. :) You will do great! My surgery is Nov 6th!