Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible Stricture ahhh!

So GERD is basically a different acronym for extreme acid reflux. A lot of people with VSG get bad GERD for a while and then it goes away for some, while others keep taking PPIs such as Prilosec, zegrid, omaprozole etc. From GERD to by-pass seems to be a long journey, not a given. I suspect they will try you with different antacids etc for a while.

Search this board for GERD I know I've seen some posts. There's one in the vets forum for sure.

I have looked up GERD but no mention of vomiting because of it just bad acid reflux which I don't have! But am vomiting usually at least twice a day

The valve between my stomach and small intestine is permanently stuck in the "on" position, and was prior to surgery.

For most people, this does result in GERD, although many people have GERD and don't have a malfunctioning valve. My surgeon and GI guys say there is no fix for the faulty valve.

How are you doing timeforchange? You are in my prayers! Please keep us posted. Cabingirl what are you doing to manage things/eating with the stuck valve. Is that a big deal for you?

I saw my doc. gave me meds for nausea discussed everything from strictures to blockages, and we went over my foods and eating habits in detail and narrowed in on what I am eating today that I was not eating pre-op. This is starting to look like a peanut allergy (intolerance more like it). Before surgery peanuts and Peanut Butter made me a very queasy and caused gas so I simply avoided them. In fact I rarely thought of peanuts..I just did not eat them. However after surgery and when I was cleared for pureed foods (1 month post op) I started making my own Protein Shakes. Guess what I am consuming DAILY and in pretty good quantities??? - PB2! 2 scoops of PB2 in this tiny stomach is a lot of PB to digest. So I am going to stop the PB2 in my shakes and see how I do. If that does not clear up things then I go back in a few weeks for scope. I thinking the peanut/peanut butter connection is the cause. Hoping I am right.

Update guys! I am back on a liquid diet until I get the vomiting under control... I have been in touch with my doctors in Mexico and pretty sad to say they are taking better care of me then my doctors here at home! I apparently show signs of gastritis.... A moderate size hiatal hernia and a few edema's dr. Campos says next step is to get a scope done and if I notice any sign of dehydration to head to the ER.... Thank you all for your support!

I have not been sleeved....two weeks to go. GERD can cause vommiting. I almost always vomit when I lay down. Good luck yo you!

I have had heartburn like that before as well... This is way different... I am usually nauseated when I drink or eat anything not as a result of heartburn

I have a stricture at the bottom of my stomach

Sorry, my computer is acting weird I have a stricture at the bottom of my stomach. I have had 5 scopes with dilatation and am still not cured but better. At this point, almost 9 months out, I have to eat small amounts of soft food. I can eat maybe 2 small bites of denser food. I have to eat very slowly. I basically eat all day because I can't eat any quantity of food. I lost 60 pounds in the first 3 months. I have lost a total of 90 now . I lost a lot of muscle tone and was lactose intolerant for a while too. I had issues with dehydration because I couldn't drink and needed fluids several times. I really don't want to lose more weight because I have a lot of loose skin. I am older and don't want to be too saggy. I feel pretty good now but I would like to be able to eat more at one time. I would still have the surgery. I was wondering if anyone has had a stent placed for a stricture. Anyone else have a stricture?

Hi, I went looking for and found this thread. I've moved from Pennsylvania to Connecticut and have a new surgeon following my care - I was sleeved 5/13/13. I've vomited off and on when I eat too fast or too much or don't chew well. However, the last few days, if I eat too much I puke, and then an hour or so later, I puke again. Saw the new surgeon here in CT and he's ordered an upper GI study. Then possibly endoscopy, etc.

I was most shocked when this surgeon said that sleeve patients should only puke maybe once or twice a year! I'm way exceeding that.

I was kind of hoping it was the flu, but they ruled that out.

Thanks for having other info for me to read on this thread! It doesn't sound impossible to fix.

Hi Kathy I have another post in this thread updating everyone... I ended up being hospitalized because I started collapsing and had very little muscle in my legs I am also numb from my neck down... They now have my gastritis under control but I still have very little of an appetite, most of the time I need to force myself to eat.... Vomiting is very dangerous for sleeve patients :( mine was never caused by over eating though it was always the gastritis.... I am in the process of getting a bunch more tests done to get to the bottom of why I am numb and barely able to walk... I am down 105 pounds... I hope everything turns around for you and I will be thinking of you! It hasn't been the easiest journey for me so far

Hopefully you will be doing better soon!!!

You are in my thoughts! What a tough experience. Thank you for keeping us updated. Good luck!

Thanks everyone so much for the support! The new update is they believe I have Beriberi which is an extreme Vitamin b1 deficiency... I feel so fed up with the health care system, my grandma actually came up with beriberi and the doctor thinks she may be right... Had they kept shrugging me off most times left untreated beriberi results in death... I have an MRI booked Sunday and am on the waiting list to see a neurologist! I am getting stronger since I have started b1 injections so I hope it is in fact what is helping me and I am on the road to recovery!

How are you doing? Hopefully better every day!