Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I just got told today; my surgeon ok'ed me for surgery. Yeah!! I do not have a date yet, but, surgery will be 6 to 8 weeks out- so I've been told. My question is to everyone: When should I start purchasing protien mixes and all the things needed for pre op and post op? I don't want to wait 2 week out. How long is shipping for the protien drinks? How long will they last? How many should I order? What things should I be doing in the next few weeks to prepare for surgery and after surgery? I want to be totally prepared for this.

Thank you!!

Don't buy too much beforehand. You may have a pre op diet, you may not. In the case of a pre op diet, you will want to get what your doctor recommends. Best to wait until you are closer to that point. As far as stuff for post op, everyone says your tastes may change, so don't buy too much. I have stocked up on Unjury brand Protein chicken broth, and the Unjury unflavored Protein Powder. I also got a Protein Drink mix made by Herbalife that makes like a crystal lite drink, rather than a shake. The Syntrax Nectar is also a thinner consistency, and can be watered down a little if its too sweet. Find a crystal lite flavor that you like, if you don't like plain Water. Stock up on sugar free Jello mix and broth for immediate pre op and immediate post op when you will probably be on clears. Again, a lot of us have different things recommended by our surgeons, so always find out what your surgeon wants you do do and then do it.

Hi! I just got told today; my surgeon ok'ed me for surgery. Yeah!! I do not have a date yet, but, surgery will be 6 to 8 weeks out- so I've been told. My question is to everyone: When should I start purchasing protien mixes and all the things needed for pre op and post op? I don't want to wait 2 week out. How long is shipping for the protien drinks? How long will they last? How many should I order? What things should I be doing in the next few weeks to prepare for surgery and after surgery? I want to be totally prepared for this.

Thank you!!

I never ordered my Protein drinks online. I ordered some unflavored Isopure Protein isolate to add to my food when I got to the puree stage (took about 7 days to deliver). I just bought my premixed shakes at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

If you don't know what you like yet, don't rush out and buy a whole bunch of anything. Your taste buds may change post-op and you may not like the same things as much. Plus, you aren't going to be on Protein Drinks very long. My doctor wanted me on as much real food as possible and get away from the shakes.< /p>

Good luck with your surgery.

Here's my review of my 2 favorite pre-mixed shakes Premier Protein and EAS carb control.

Thank you!!

I'm in Australia which means so much of the regularly recommended products aren’t available eg. unjury, crystal lite, Syntrax nectar, Isopure, PB2 – and trust me I want that PB2. (I could buy online but would probably pay $54 postage).

They're right though, you’ll probably have a whole lotta stuff you won’t use. I did. I had a one track mind once I knew I was on for surgery and got a bit shop happy obsessing about all the things I would need. You walk out of surgery and boom - wow, you are just ..... different. it's like you walk out a skinny girl because food, it just does not mean the world to you anymore – you just don't look it yet so it’s weird. I still have nearly all the crap I bought beforehand cause I never used it. I just used Optifast shakes because its the brand that the hospitals in Australia use for Bariatric patients who need rapid weight loss so surgery can be performed. I figured if it’s good enough for the hospitals it’s good enough for me.

A good guide to the quality of your Meal Replacement choice is if it says that it can be used as a total diet replacement (such as optifast). If instead it says to replace only 2 meals a day with the product then quite likely the product is of lesser quality than the complete product.