Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does low platelets=no surgery?

Hello everyone! I am a new poster but have been lurking these board for awhile now. I am in the process of getting approval for VSG and have completed all of my pre-op requirements except one. I am waiting on my hemotologist to get back into town to release me for surgery.

I have a hemotologist because I have low platelets. I also had this issue during my last pregnancy but it was resolved after I delivered via c-section. I am well aware of the risks low platelets has on surgeries as it was discussed ad nauseam with my OB prior to surgery. Before my hemotologist went on vacation she left me a message asking what specifically my surgeon was looking for in the release. I called the surgeons office to get the answers and the nurse darn near scared me to death about how I will not clot and bleed out on the operating table!

I know that VSG is a optional surgery so I am also wondering if I am going to receive more push back from the doctors because I don't technically HAVE to have the surgery. Where as with my C-section they were willing to do whatever it took to get my levels to an acceptable place. At the last hemotolgy appointment I brought up that I am pursuing this surgery and she blinked a couple of times at me then snaped "so what are you here for surgery or your platelets?" I stammered that I was there to figure out why my platelets were low first, but that I was in the process of WLS approval. She seems to think that the low platelets is just something that came up and there is not an explination for it, sometimes it happens.

My question is has anyone had low platelets and had the surgery? If so what was your experiance? Did they infuse platletes prior to surgery to get you through it? Has anyone been denied from surgery due to platelet levels? If so what did you do? Did you end up getting the surgery later?

Thank you all so much, I am excited to have finally joined this community!

-Isha

Edited by and then...

In my humble opinion (I am an LPN) you may get some push back, just because you have a higher risk than others. Since platelets are responsible for clotting, a low count could be very detrimental (which I'm sure you know!). I am on Coumadin to lower my risk of blood clots, but I doubt you could be put on Coumadin with an already low count. (I also had Heparin shots while I was in the hospital.) All I can think of is if you had transfusions prior to surgery or were on medication to boost your platelet count prior to surgery. It shouldn't be a deal breaker, and I'm sure there are things they could do, but it would be up to the individual doctor whether they want to assume that risk. Either way, I would definitely want to find out the underlying cause of it and get treatment for it prior to having major surgery. It might be something as simple as taking B12 and folate!

How low is Low? It really comes down to the surgeon's comfort level with an added risk. I don't think it's a deal-breaker, but it depends on how low they go. Good luck!

Thank you for responding!

My levels at the last CBC I had are 86 they need to be between 150-400. The two CBC prior they were at 100 then 106. So they are dropping but all of the testing was done before I started any of my hematologist recommendations. She put me on Iron because my Iron level was low which could have an impact on platelets. Also from dr. google I went through my blood test line by line and noticed my D3 levels were very low so I started taking a d3 along with a b-12. I will need to go look for folate to add to what I take. I am currently looking for a multi Vitamin without iron in it, due to the mass amount of iron I am already prescribed. I cannot find one anywhere. If anyone has any suggestion on a Multi-Vitamin without iron I would love to know.

I have another PCP visit on Monday and I am going to request she orders another CBC I am hopeful the supplements I am taking will make a difference.

-Isha