Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deb's introduction

Hi,

My name is Deb, I just turned 54 on March 1. I have been married for 27 1/2 years to a wonderful guy, Jim. We live in Iowa, 17miles NW of Des Moines. I have one son, Trevor who is 22 and a wonderful kid. He is going to school to be a police officer. God gave him to us, as a true blessing, through adoption, as we could not have kids. I am an RN and currently on Short Term Disability because of pain and the need to take pain meds. I have worked at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines for 36+ years and would like to go back but I know I have to lose a lot of weight before I can go back. I am a Neonatal Intensive Care nurse and I love my babies!!!

I have always had a problem with my weight. I can lose it but can't keep it off. I have lost 117lbs. 2 times on weight watchers and have gained it back and then some. It is very depressing and you just wonder what is wrong with me!! But through this process I have found out it may not be me but heredity, and a combination of hormones that cause you to not keep it off. I have not had the surgery yet but hope to by the end of the month. I have my 2nd appointment with Dr. Eibes, the only Dr. here in Des Moines that does Lap Band surgery, on Fri. March 9 and then the surgery will be scheduled.

I look forward to giving and getting support through this site.

I am a christian and need to totally rely on Him to get me through this. He helped me lose the weight before and I know with Him all things are possible!!!!! :angel:

Welcome Deb! Glad to have you here! LBT is an awesome site, full of knowledgable and supportive people.

I cannot say enough good things about my band---it has truly changed my life. I feel so good for the young girls (and a few guys) I see here on the site, knowing they are getting help while they are young, and that they won't have to fight it through the years, as you and I have done...I only wish I had done it years ago---or more accurately that it were available to us years ago.

You are lucky you have a Dr. near you. Where I live, there are no lap band surgeons in the state! Insurance denied me, twice---a long story---I am now told I could have won in court---but instead I self paid and went to Mexico. Now a year later I am getting there!!! I feel so much better---it is amazing how this changes your life!

I have actually hit a plateau for the last month or so---but in its own way even that is comforting, I see I can maintain and live a normal life, without regaining the weight!!! How great is that!!!

I look forward to getting to know you, and watch your progress.

Look around, ask any questions you may have---we will do our best to help!

Once again----welcome!

Kat

Thanks Kat!!! I am anxious to get my surgery date scheduled, but also a little scared. I can't imagine having to pay for the surgery without insurance. I couldn't do it. My Dr. hasn't done many Lap Bands but has done a lot of gastric bypass surgeries. Hugs, Deb

Welcome Deb

I too am just starting this journey.Not Banded yet as you can see from my ticker....I too have lost over a Hundred lbs only to find it again and again. I have a lot of health problems as well that make it very difficult...so I have been told ...Not that that makes me feel anybetter... I really feel this is the tool for us that know how to diet but just can not keep it off.

Good Luck to you on your journey!!!!!

Keep us posted

Bev

Hi Deb,

Welcome and congratulations on finding the lapband -I hope you are able to go through with it. Many of us, like you, have lost and gained the weight you describe. The band will 'force' you to see all those behaviors that may have contributed to your weight (overeating, eating too fast, not chewing, etc.) I did notice you said something about hormones and some other reasons for your weight gain and just wanted to suggest you really explore that fully before getting banded - I've had many struggles getting weight off and do follow the 'bandster rules' (not perfectly but pretty darn close) and am just exploring what I know will be a long and probably expensive road to figure out what is going on metabolically/hormonally. However, even if I don't lose another pound the band has helped me in other ways with my eating, etc.

Please know i am NOT discouraging you from the band - just suggesting you check out all reasons for not losing weight prior to doing this. Good luck.

Rosi,

Thanks and praying all goes well with your surgery and recovery and new way of life after banding. I too believe this is just a tool and pray the weight does not come back on. Have you heard about how people do long term with keeping weight off. I have not really talked to anyone about that. Really haven't talked with anyone here that has had the surgery. How is the presurgery diet going. Hugs, Deb

Hi Mary,

Both of the introductory sessions I have gone to have talked about both heredity and hormones. I went to webmd and also found some articles on it there too. They don't really understand it because it is so complicated. I can lose weight but can not keep it off. I know that is what happens to most people who lose weight. Keeping it off is way harder than losing it for me anyway. I am going to be using the lap band as a tool. I know that is all it is and I have to do the rest. Thanks for your input. Hugs, Deb

Hey Deb..

I was banded on Feb. 13th. Since the beginning of this journey I've lost almost 25 pounds. This decision is not easy. But I had to make myself a priority, and make getting better a priority. You can do it....

Just always remember to Trust in the Lord..He will provide strength even when we don't feel like we can do it.

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I just read your blog and loved reading it. Your mother must be so proud of you. I have a 22 year old son and I would be so blessed reading something like that to me.Treasure your time with your Parents and Grandparents!!! I have family in Humble, Texas, a sister and her son and his family. My neice wanted to have Lap Band surgery and their insurance does not pay for it. We do serve an awesome God!!

Hugs, Deb

Hi Deb and welcome to LBT! I am also a nurse in a pediatric hospital. I love "my kids" too. Best of luck on your weight loss journey! I was banded 1/30/07 and have lost 30lbs. I have always had a weight problem since I was 5 years old. I have gained and lost alot of weight in my lifetime. Currently, I would like to lose 85-100lbs( I am off to a good start, so 50-75 more) Feel free to ask lots of questions. We are all here to support you in any way we can. Best of luck! Gigi

HI Deb

The pre diet is not going fast enough........ I still have 9 days to go ????????/ I'm not really hungry just bored with the same stuff. There are only so many things you can do with cottage cheese? ?????? The weight is just dropping off though. I know that I can diet, its keeping it off thats the really hard part...as we all know. I can not figure out how to update my weight ticker thing??? any help out there????

Hi Rosi---go to User CP, Edit Sgnature, then click on your ticker in the top window--it will open up ticker factory. Click on edit this ticker, enter your password. Put in your new numbers, click next. It should take you to the page that you used to copy & paste for your original ticker. Using the bbccode, copy it. Go back to your signature page on LBT, click on the ticker in the bottom signature window, then delete. Put your cursor where you want the updated one and click paste. It will take about 1/4 of the time it did for me to tell you, or for you to read it!!! It sounds like a lot, but it isn't!!! If you need more help let me know!

Kat

Hey Rosi, are you going to User CP, to get to EDIT SIGNATURE and clicking on the ticker in the TOP signature showing?

Kat

Hey Deb,

I just know this will work for you.I'm also a nurse and live in Mt. We just have to do this 1 day at a time. Good luck!