Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, I am 4 wks out and down 32 lbs. My concern is that I know I am not getting enough protein/carbs. I am eating 3 meals daily, but can only get 2 oz of soft food per meal. I do not snack. Protein shakes are possible but can only drink about 3 Oz at a time. Are the small amounts that I am eating now normal, should I be taking in more shakes?

Thanks, HW

I'm also 4 weeks out and only eat 2 oz for most meals (for lunch 1/2 oz and still extremely full from a Protein shake). Don't worry about carbs yet just make sur you are getting in 60-80 grams of protein and Water. My wife is 5 weeks out and she only eats 2 oz per meal also. We also eat only 3 meals and no Snacks. Hope that helps, good luck.

I talked with my doctor about this. I had trouble getting Protein and calories because I can only hold small amounts. She said to aim for 350 calories and 20 grams of protein at each meal. (This is difficult but I'm trying) Eat until you feel full. Three meals, no Snacks and then supplement with Protein Shakes at the end of the day to hit your targets. I am not able to drink a lot of the Protein Shake so I buy the Body Fortress Protein Powder ( it's 30 grams each scoop) and mix it with 1/2 a cup of skim milk. This has been getting me to my targets.

Edited by patter5r

Have you tried any of the "clear" Protein Drinks? Isopure makes flavors that are premixed and clear, so it could just replace some of the fluids you are drinking through the day. Also nectar makes powders that are lore like regular drinks and mix with Water. They come out more cloudy than clear, but some are tasty. I like the Roadside Lemonade a lot, but they have a hunch of flavors. I ordered a sample pack of packets on eBay before surgery to try them out.

I am two weeks out and I was discussed by the powered Protein drinks, I had to switch to the liquid Protein Drinks. Lite muscle milk is getting me thru!

I was 260 in May, 234 pre surgery and 217 yesterday at my post op appt!

I have just been upgraded to full liquids!!!!!!

Try some liquid protein!

I'm 3 mths out and sposed to be on 3 meals a day. I can also eat only about 2 oz at a time and I added the calories for those 3 meals plus a Protein shake and it came out to 450. Not enuf to live long term. I'm also hungry about 2 hrs after eating. So I eat 5 to 6 times a day.

I think 2 oz is normal for a new sleever. Not sure about the 3 meals a day as I personally can't do it. However, my dr reccomends not snacking. Can't do it till I can eat a little more. Id count the calories that ur getting in to make sure its enuf. Protein is important but so is getting in enuf calories to power ur body

Early out I used two Protein drinks per day to get enough Protein in. One for Breakfast, then a couple ounces of protein at lunch and dinner, and one before bed. Greek yogurt is a great protein source too.

Lynda