Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about nutritionist

Hey all. I am in the process of jumping through the insurance (Cigna) hoops. I have completed my 6 month supervised diet and psychiatric evaluation. Last week I met with my nutritionist. She reviewed a diet plan that is basically a diet plan for someone who has diabetes. She told me to write down everything I eat, how much, what time, how many calories, how many carbohydrates, the place I eat, and my emotion at the time I eat and to come back to see her in a month. She also said, "I don't mean to scare you, but I have declined a recommendation for this surgery to other clients for non-compliance." This is why I am a little worried. She said that she had a woman who did not journal any of her food intake and came back in a month and told her (the nutritionist) that she "didn't have time for that." So the nutritionist did not recommend her. I am worried because I am having a hard time staying under the recommended 1500 calories a day because I get hungry. (I am thinking this is because I have stretched my stomach out so much over the years due to chronic over-eating.) Anyway, my worry is that if I do log down everything I am eating that she won't recommend me and if I don't log everything down, to make it look like I am really eating less, that she will know I have not been truthful because I will not lose any weight. I am curious to know if anyone else has had this dilemma and what they did about it.

:help:

Can you see a different nutritionist? And is a nutrition consult REQUIRED for your insurance to approve you? The only requirements for my insurance (besides the 12 month program) are for me to have the psych eval and see the surgeon.

I also had a hard time with journaling my diet, however, when I did finally get down and do it I learned a lot about my self, and my perception of how much I consumed. My advice is that you be honest in your journaling, it's the only way you will find out how to get a grip on your eating habits. The surgery will not automatically cure your obesity, you will have to be committed to taking better care of yourself than you ever have in the past. To be successful and to stay healthy you will need to know how to eat the best nutritious foods, take the Vitamin supplements you will need, maintain your hydration with proper liquid intake, and avoid some of the problems that can occur when you don't do those things. Changing nutritionists won't solve your problem. Write it down, it will be an enlightening experience.

Educate yourself, take responsibility for your own body. Best of Luck to you. Honestly, I wish you the very best. Linda P.

Ack, I loathe doing that stuff. I find it completely a waste of time, not the least helpful and it pisses me off. I respectfully disagree with the above poster that it teaches you anything valuable. It is entirely personality dependent - I'm not in the least bit interested in that kind of stuff and I know why I overeat when I overeat - I dont need to write it down and analyse it.

Honestly? I would make it all up. I'd try my best to eat well but if I broke my diet I wouldnt record it. I'd write what they want to see so I got recommended for surgery. That's not to say I wouldnt be trying to follow a diet I'd been given, and that I wouldnt sit down with said journal and fill it in, but I wouldnt be honest if I fell off the wagon.

That's because I think its pathetic. How well you record in your journal whilst jumping through the hoops for the medical professional tells them jack shit about how successful you'll be with your lapband.

Edited by Jachut