Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rage and irrational anger over everything? Depression? 1 month post op

Anyone else experienced this?

I can fly off the handle at the smallest things.

I get into arguments. And even if I control myself, I can be bothered by things for days on end.

I feel like if only I could I would literally kill someone that tries to get on my nerves on purpose during an argument or whatnot.

Its like I have a new mental illness now.

To have so little self control, its kind of worrying.

Before the surgery I was mostly able to control myself when it came to anger, I have no idea whats going on its like my self control chip fried.

Also depression is kinda creeping in now, which ironicly in by itself is kind of depression. Thought if I didn't get it a week after surgery no chance I'd get it a month afterwards.

I'm a guy but I think I know what women feel during their period now.

Is this normal? It started happening early on after surgery but now it seems to be getting worse.

you have lost your coping mechanism (food). Just a guess. seek some help, psychologist??

Oh that first month mark is notorious for anger and depression. I think in the first few weeks you are dealing with pain and healing. Now the real work sets in..

I really feel that this sadness and anger is us mourning food. Your old friend food is no longer there to medicate those feelings of anger frustration, despair and boredom. You are left to your own devices and need to come up with other ways to deal with life.

Talking it out with friends and a counselor really helped me. And also knowing this is a really normal phase made me not feel so crazy.

Oh hell yeah. Happens to practically everyone ESP by month one and after that it comes and goes in spurts.

Your remarks about women and periods are not that far off from why either. Fat stores a LOT of hormones, including estrogen. As you release fat, your body is bathed in excess estrogen. Welcome to our hell :)

It's a weird process. I am almost 3 months out and I told my doc yesterday that I was starting to relate to manic depressives. Every morning when I wake up, I have no idea who I am. Am I happy GG today? Angry GG? Or sad GG? I have sad days for NO good reason whatsoever.

Typically when women get depressed they withdraw. It's not unusual for depression in men to manifest as extreme anger.

The good news is that in time, you come to realize this is just part of the healing process, and now if I get sad, at least I know it's nothin but but hormones, and I just have to gut it out. And it does pass sometimes within an hour.

But the emotional lability can get exhausting. I'm even tired of myself some days! :P

Hang in there.

Hey GG. I find very interesting your remark about hormones stored in fat that get released with weight loss. As I have lost weight over the past two and a half months I feel like the clock has turned back in time. I am several years past menopause with every "older lady" issue there is. Still the hot flashes, etc had gone. They seem to be returning. Weird.

Anyone else experiencing a return to a younger, hormonal self?

Hey GG. I find very interesting your remark about hormones stored in fat that get released with weight loss. As I have lost weight over the past two and a half months I feel like the clock has turned back in time. I am several years past menopause with every "older lady" issue there is. Still the hot flashes' date=' etc had gone. They seem to be returning. Weird. Anyone else experiencing a return to a younger, hormonal self?[/quote']

I saw some posts in the powder room about people getting their periods again when they thought they'd stopped so I do know some are having a return to previous selves.

Great. As though living through menopause once wasn't enough, now you're having to live through if again?? You poor thing! Well you just better be skinny and hot after all that to make it worthwhile! :)

Oh How I so remember that period of time! It is rough and there is no pretending...... it sucked!!! I too cried, picked fights, was incredibly irritable, bitchy, sad and craved everything under the sun including things I never ever eat. food was coming at me from all angles........tv, billboards, magazines, friends etc. etc. It does get better as laura-ven and gamegirl said just hang in there ride it out and before you know it you are handling it a lot easier. Your new life begins to ease in better and you find yourself letting go of some of your anger from the loss of your old life. Before you know it you will be dropping weight and feeling great about yourself! :)

Oh? Yes I've read this is a thing that happens post op I just wonder how long until it gets better, if it does get better at all..hehe.

Hormonal changes? That could be it. I do wonder if this surgery causes any kind of damage to the brain though, is there any research regarding that?

And about the coping mechanism - There is some truth to that, but, I'm kind of surprised I don't crave food as much anymore. I mean, I can eat most things , just very small quantities and still enjoy it. So does that count as a loss of coping mechanism?

in a way, I am relieved that craving food is not as horrible as I thought it'd be. I only mourn food a bit, but mostly I'm not as sad about at as I thought it'd be. I wonder if theres another issue.

My best guess is the hormonal thing, I really hope it passes though.