Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know the reason?

Does anyone know the reason why I can't eat fresh fruits and veggies for the 6 months! I had 2 weeks of liquids, 4 weeks of puréed and then up to 6 months on soft fork tender foods with no fresh fruits no fresh veggies no steak or pork chops!! My guide book does not give me the reason for this....anyone know why!!!! Yes I can ask my nut but most people on here prob know the reason :):) thx

Kim

From what my nut says it's just too fibrous and doesn't settle well with the sleeve

The reason for the steak is that it's very difficult to chew it up well enough. I think that if you wanted to finish your meal with a few small bites of tender steak, cut up well you be fine.

That seems crazy strict. Im in week 5, and start iceberg lettuce this week, and fresh veggies (and fruit) within the next 2 weeks. I would def. ask my NUT about waiting that long. The longest I have to wait is 4 mos. and that is for rice, noodles, and nuts. Anything else is pretty much fair game after 7 weeks or so.

Though I will always say you should stick to your nuts advice... 6 months without veggies? Does not seem right. I really think it would be worth a call into your surgeon to ask if you could eat things like broccoli and such.

You said "fresh" does that mean raw maybe?

Raw is a bit more difficult in the first months...

Again I would put a call in to ask about this :)

Man, that seems pretty strict. I was permitted Fresh fruit and veggies after I think 2 months, but I could have very soft cooked veggies earlier than that I think.

Edited by butterfly_gal

Though I will always say you should stick to your nuts advice... 6 months without veggies? Does not seem right. I really think it would be worth a call into your surgeon to ask if you could eat things like broccoli and such. You said "fresh" does that mean raw maybe? Raw is a bit more difficult in the first months... Again I would put a call in to ask about this :)

Yes just raw veggies, I have had lots of broccoli and green Beans cooked soft:)

I'm def gonna stick to the programs guidelines I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for the wait! Fibrous does that mean it would be hard to digest and breakdown in our little sleeves?

Hard to digest, stomach has to get used to foods again slowly

I have eaten fresh fruit and veggies as well as steak and pork chops without any issues. I only eat a few bites of raw fruit and veggies at a time, but I do eat quite a bit of steak and pork. I was not told to avoid these things by my NUT or surgeon, only that they could cause issues so I should be careful eating them until I know how my body will handle them. I think I have a sleeve of steel because nothing I have eaten has bothered me, except when I was having gallbladder issues, and as soon as I got my GB out, it was back to business as usual for my sleeve.

I was eating fruit and veggies after week 4 or 5. 6 months? No way!!

My nut told me to limit fresh fruit and veggies for a year because I can hold so little and I will be full on these before I get in my Protein. When I told her I ***HAD TO*** have a salad at 4 months out, she gave me great advice. She told me to just eat the toppings and to skip the lettuce filler. After all, the toppings are the best part, right? Seeds, bacon, cheese, onion, some crunchy veggies...YUM!

After the 12 week mark my surgeon wants his patients eating salad at least a few times a week. He suggests salad with grilled Protein for lunch each day. I am 5 months post op and had 1/2 of a side salad with 1/2 of a chicken breast for lunch today from Chili's. It was really good, and filling. So filling that I skipped dinner tonight. I am allowed raw veggies, but the first 8 weeks they recommend only well cooked veggies.

LipstickLady; Just looked at your stats, You are rocking, keep up the great work!