Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor's Office Finally Called

Way to go Betty..

I hope it is smooth sailing from here on out until surgery. Let us know what happens with your first visit!

Dr. Provost - He is the Dr. that my Dr. recommends. I have a great Dr. and I know he would recommend the best. I hope I like him, if not will then I will pick a different one. Everything I have seen on him has been great. His is just expensive, but I will just have to figure out a way to do it. I figure I am worth every penny of this expense! lol I am getting excited now!

Betty

Just around the corner....Get you a good book to read to help pass the time....or Hey, just come here and visit with us:D

Provost does have a great reputation.

Is it possible for you to get everything together BEFORE you see him? I did my own scheduling for the Psych eval and Nutritionist. If you have these things in hand, along with your weight loss attempts from the past and a letter from your PCP.

His office would probably provide a name of a Dietician and a Psychologist. I located my own Psych guy - which meant I didn't have to go through 5 hours of MMPI testing. We simply sat down for an hour chat and I educated him on the lapband and why I felt I was a good candidate for the surgery. He then made his determination as to whether he felt I knew what I was getting into and whether he felt I would be adaptable to this change and commitment.

Seems like those extensive MMPI sessions are a bit of overkill. Many obese people have depression/anxiety issues. To quote Jessie Ahroni - 'Even crazy people should have the right to lose weight and be more healthy. ' lol

Thanks for the information. I really didn't know what all tests I would have to go through since I am a self pay and won't have the insurance to deal with. I will look into it a little more.

Thanks again,

Betty

I think Leatha has a good idea. If they could fax you a list of the preop tests needed, you could get a jump on those. All that stuff gets bogged down in time. Time to schedule initial appts, set up tests, wait for test results, etc. Then, you'll have that stuff ready to give him and be that far ahead in the game. Just be sure that you keep copies of all tests, in case you don't like him and decide to go to another Lap. dr. Do you have any current health problems?

Hope - Not really, high blood pressure. Heart disease runs in my family (Mother's side). It actually sounded to me like they were going to do all that stuff on the first visit, I might be wrong, but the first visit is $232.00 and then the second visit is $90.00. I will have to go home and read my information they sent again. I thought it said on the second visit they just go over everything with you again. The second visit is when I have to pay in full for everything. (Hospital, surgeon, etc.) I guess I will check it out tonight, then if I am still can't tell, I will give them a call and see. I need to get a list of questions together, I have a few, but need to get everything ready to ask. So, if y'all have anything on your mind that I need to ask, please let me know. I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Betty

Not sure if I have given this to you before or not, but Yahoo has a pretty good group of Dr. Provost patients. They would be better able to tell you specifics about what he requires.

Usually, you are required to document weight loss attempts from the past (not sure over what period of time), programs used, what you lost, kept off for how long, etc. ( I was able to name Diet Center, Nutri System, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Diet, HerbalLife, Weight loss Clinics, Xenical) Names, dates, how long, results.

Then, you have to provide a letter from a Psych stating that you understand this surgery and are committed to making the change in your eating habits that it will require. (I hand-picked my own, took him all kinds of hard copies explaining the band. We sat down and discussed it and my problems with weight gain and depression. He typed up his findings based on our conversation and sent both me and my doc a copy. )

The docs office usually puts you in touch with a Dietician. Some require only one 1 hr visit. Others require you have an ongoing relationship. This site might answer those questions for you upfront.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/banditsUTSW/

Can you tell I'm excited for you? lol. :)

Woohoo, Betty!!!:) I'm excited for you! You may also want to get your PCP to mention the family heart problem history in his letter. Every little bit helps, ya know?

Duh! LOL. It just dawned on me - if you're self pay. You may not need ANY of this.

He may set you down, have a chat and set you up a date.

I'm slow sometimes.. :)

I was wondering if I was self pay if I would have to provide any of it. I did have to fill out some paperwork and send back to them, stating all the things I tried for losing weight, all my medical history, etc. My PCP wrote a letter to him already, so that is taken care of. It would be nice if all I had to do was go talk to him and then off to the procedure shortly after. I probably can't be that lucky though. I have been checking out that UTBandits but not much has been said about self pay. That sure is a different site than this one. I joined but have never posted on it.

Thanks for all the info!

Betty