Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what exactly is a fill?

Hi all,

I am still researching this LapBand stuff. My consult is 3/13. I hear many of you talk about fills-what are they? Do they make you less hungry?

And as for the scarring, does that ever go away? Or just fades?

Thanks!

Hi Quadmom---I have to say you must be one busy lady!!! This band and weight loss would benefit you with increased energy---I can attest to that, and I have lots of years on you!!!

Ok, a fill, also called an adjustment---is when they inject saline solution into your port, which is stitched into a muscle wall. They access it with a needle, poked through your skin, into the port. Not much worse than a shot or blood draw. The saline then flows through tubing to the actual band itself, which is a ring with a silicone balloon type thing in the middle which inflates with the saline, thereby allowing food to sit in the small part of your stomach and keep you feeling full for longer periods of time. When you are full you don't eat---which is the best way this helps you lose weight.

I have 1 scar just left of center, about 6-7 inches below my breasts, which is my port scar. It is about 1 1/2 inches across. Another scar about 3/4 of an inch up a bit higher, still on my left side, which is where the band was inserted. And I have 3 small almost puncture size scars, 1 above (almost between my breasts), and 2 below 1 on one side 1 on the other. Now I also ended up with 2 extra scars where my Dr. removed 2 larger skin tags for me---but they are all fading, the port scar is the only one you can actually see without having them pointed out. I hope to have a Tummy Tuck when this is all done, as I carry 90% of my extra weight in my stomach, and it is going to be tons of excess skin----but even then I will never wear belly baring clothes---I am 46 for heavens sake---so the scars are so minor, they don't bother me a bit.

Good Luck in your research, ask any questions you may have!!

Kat

I had my seminar the 21st of Feburary.Dr Fass had brought in a lap band to show us.It was faninating to see.He even had saline in the serenge so that we could fill and unfil the band..

I just faxed in my paper work to Dr Fass on Wednesday should have processed it today.My insurance does over it but I would like an approval tonight...lol.I'm a new member so please FILL free to give me any advice.MY ears and eyes are open.

I have Empire BCBS if you have the same would you let me know how long it took to get ur approval....Thank You! :)

The scars fade dramatically! I can barely see mine, and I will take them any day over the fat squishy belly I used to have. Stick around this forum and you will learn tons! There is even a thread that shows pics of lapband surgery scars. They dont look any worse than any other laproscopic surgery scars.....like gallbladder for example.