Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness or Blurred Vision

I take the Lovenox/Heparin shots due to a history of clots. I understand some docs are giving them to all their patients as an added preventative. I don't like them either. :D How many days do they have you taking them?

As for the nausea patch. I never really suffered any nausea post-op. It might be safe to take it off if they are causing you side effects. I'd ask.

Just keep sipping. Sometimes the warm fluids help more. You'll be fine!! Good luck to you!

Originally posted by tigk29

. I was the first person to have the Lap Band surgery through that location so that's why I was told Dr Grossman would be there to oversee the procedure since he has done so many..

I am also on a liquid diet for two weeks. I can only have milk, Protein shake or broth in 1 oz cups, and each cup has to last 10 min. I drink every hour on the hour from 8 am to 10 p.m.. Some hours I can have up to 3 oz of Fluid but most hours it is only 2 oz. When I get done with the required Fluid I can have Water, crystal light, Decaf tea and fruit 20.

Sounds like your doc is definitely new at this. The souffle cup routine is very indicative of a gastric bypass regime. Of course, do what he tells you, but according to Inamed, it is not necessary to withhold liquids with the lapband.

It sure makes it tough on patients when the doc uses the same routine for both types of surgery. Just my observation... :D

Kim, I can't believe how different your regime is than mine. I have no set times to drink my meals. I have three liquid meals a day with Water inbetween. But the liquid goes through so fast that I'm hungry again in an hour or so, so I sometimes sneak in some Jello or a popsicle. I can't have any milk prodcuts though. Also, I was laproscopic and have 5 incisions but no staples. Stictches and Steri strips.

Shireen= I cant wait for my steri strips!

I don't know if I would be able to drink only 3 times a day. That to me seems like torture! I am hungry doing what I am doing now.

They told me my regimen was similar to Gastric Bypass patients because of the fact that they never did Lap Band before. I wonder if they are going to ask me certain questions when I go for my 2 week appointment to see how the regimen was for me and if they need to tweek it for future Lap Band -patients.

leatha_g= I have to give myself the Heparin shots for 2 weeks. I don't have a problem finding someone to give me my shot at 2 in the afternoon, but finding someone at 6am and 10pm is a little harder. My mom would love to help me but if she thinks about needles her blood pressure rises enough for her to be admitted to a hospital! I dont have a history of blood clots, but like you said I think they are just taking an added preventative.

I give them myself, too. No biggie! The first time ever, I wasn't so sure, but now I'm used to it. I hate them, however.

I would definitely discuss with them that the lapband post-op liquids regimen is not nearly as stringent as gastric bypass. Seems like they would check with experienced band docs to see what works best.

Did they give you a copy of the Patient Handbook? If not, maybe you need to give them one. lol.

http://www.inamed.com/pdf/health/94829F_LB_Patient_Book.pdf

What was your post-op regimen? I thought I was lucky to be able to drink every hour on the hour. Then have Water and Crystal light in between.

Both times, I was told to drink at least 3 'meals' a day. This included full liquids, as I was introduced to them in the hospital.

I would use an Atkins or EAS shake for Protein in the morning, sugar free Jello, popsicles, Water, yogurt, broth, Soup At Hand for lunch or dinner. Tapioca pudding, maybe another Protein Shake.

This period is not meant for weight loss, but is meant for healing only. This is the only time with banding that you are encouraged to have 'liquid' calories. I tried to keep the most calories for Breakfast lunch and dinner, but supplemented with popsicles, Jello, etc in between times. This, along with Water keeps some sustinence going in almost constantly and doesn't leave you starving to death.

I tracked it all on www.fitday.com to make sure I wasn't overdoing it in calories and rarely even reached 800 calories a day. As always, this may not be what your doctor recommends, this is only what I was allowed to do.