Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss challenge - should i do it?

My cross fit box is going to start a 1 month weight loss challenge on Monday. Basically it is to encourage folks to crack down on their nutrition and, perhaps for some, increase the number of times the workout every week. There is a nominal cash prize. Nothing to write home about. Here is the thing. I am competitive and want to participate. The only issue is my weight is currently 172 (5'11") and losing 10-12 lbs would, well, I am not sure what it would do to health. i feel good about my body right now. Feel healthy. Sure dropping 10-12 lbs could get me more defined like a bodybuilder at 7% bf or it may turn me into a zombie guy. Lol. Who knows. I am in pretty good athlete shape right now. All I would have to do to win this is cut out 1 or 2 meals a day. I am already eating 7-8 times a day and scarfing some 2000-2500 calories. Down 8 lb from last week only because i have been busting ass in the work outs. I eat very well already. Lean Proteins, veggies and some low carb, low fat meals my wife makes. I already do cross fit 5 days a week and I am not going to add a day. Sorry, no way. Should I do this challenge? It seems like an easy win.

Go for it. I think it could be a very satisfying thing to have under your belt. A significant NSV.

Ok, I am self admittedly vain... haha... but I wouldnt anything that changed my health or appearance in a negative way. My boyfriend got way too skinny this summer (6'2" big frame and around 170) and now that he is back at a somewhat normal weight - he looks great - younger, more robust, just plain hotter. Maybe you are young enough that too skinny doesn't look old ....but I was kinda surprised at what a difference 15 or so pounds made on him but zombie gaunt was not so hot.

Nope, wouldn't do it. Just because the challenge is there, why would you accept it if there is a health risk?

In all things, we need to be aware of swapping one compulsion/addiction for another one. And as you feel good about your body now, you need to ask why you would do this to yourself and put your health at risk? For what?

You have been an inspiration to me since I joined this site. Maybe I can return the favour by asking you to stop, reread your post and think before you do this - if someone else posted this, what would you say to them?

Thanks, and you are right: there is a line that should be respected. I will do the work out at the start and end of the competition, for community purposes, but will bow out of deliberately participating in the challenge. I already have a good nutritional plan and work out effectively so do not see a need to make significant changes on those fronts.

On a very related note, another weight loss challenge came up yesterday from the benefits section of my work. Two weight related challenges in one day! Must be a sign or something. Anyways, this one is about 6 months long and encouraging employees to get down to their BMI in groups of 5. The cash reward prizes are not nominal. 1st: 15,000, 2nd: 10,000, 3rd:5000. I could really use the extra cash. Too bad they did not present this challenge 1 year ago!! How awesome that would have been. Oh well, they probably exclude WLS in the fine print. Will need to check. I am kind of glad they are doing this challenge; it is for a good cause. It will probably also save the company considerable money in health related costs, especially since my company is 105k+ employees strong and some percentage would benefit by dropping the weight to get to BMI.