Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!! Just startin' my journey...

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I've been searching these forums day in and day out since I found out about them! Last weekend I went to a seminar here in my town, and I was hooked since. I've got my first appointment next Thursday with my doctor/nutritionalist/insurance chick....I'm curious to know what the next step/steps is/are?? I saw a post on here the other day, and for the life of me I can't find it! LOL

I'm excited to be here...and will get my before pictures sometime this week...and then I'm off to continue on my journey! I've got quite a bit of weight to lose, I'd say I'd like to lose around 150lbs...but I have a feeling it'll be more than that! :)

See ya'll later!!!!!

~Kimmie~

Hi Kimmie-

You have the first steps down, the insurance info and the PCP Dr. have to start the ball rolling. Once you find out from your insurance company what they require, assuming they cover this, then you will be able to go about selecting a surgeon, and following their guidelines as to what they require. Most require a full physical, with blood work,& chest Xrays. Many require you to see a cardiologist for a heart check up, a nutritionist, so you knowwhat will be expected, and some Dr.s require you to lose a certain amount prior to surgery, the nutritionist will help with that. Some require a psychological exam---to make sure you are doing this for acceptable reasons---ie. for you, not because the alien living upstairs demanded it! J/K---I have no doubt it is a reasonable thing!!! Some even require Endoscopy and even colonoscopy on their older patients. Most of them want all your yearly checks in order---pap smear, breast exam. The reason behind all the appointments is to try to make sure you are in the best health possible prior to surgery. The discovery of a breast cancer for instance would be far better to find prior to banding than say the immediate weeks after. Nausea and the band are enemies, whereas nausea and chemo are VERY common. The insurance will also likely require several years of proof of obesity, so if that entails getting records from multiple Dr.s that will be your responsibility. There are lots of hoops to jump through when insurance is involved...

Now for the advice you DIDN'T ask for!!!

Document EVERY conversation with insurance, make note of WHO you talked to, WHAT they said, what TIME you called on what DAY. If you have to call and be put on hold for 30 minutes 3 different times, document that. In DETAIL---EVERYTHING!

Make copies of anything you release to a Dr. for submission to insurance. Keep copies of fax confirmations.

And most importantly follow their instructions and requirements to the letter. If you have to be seen every 2 weeks, do NOT allow 15 days between appointments. These are the things they will use to deny you.

If they deny it---APPEAL!!! I understand that most get an auto deny---and if you care enough to pursue it, then they will look at it. That was told to me by a woman earning 6 figures with United Healthcare. Be persistant, if there is not a clause excluding all WLS---force the issue.

Hang in there---good luck with your appointments---we look forward to getting to know you and watching your progress to getting banded!!!

Welcome to LBT!!!

Kat

Hi Kimmie - WELCOME!!! :welcome:

You're definately in the right place to get the most information out there - hands down!

Definately be sure to keep a really good record of all paperwork, all converstations with folks from insurance especially. Get their name, last initial (if they don't give you their whole last name), date and time you spoke with that person. Just helpful hints that I got - that helped me out a bit.

The one thing that I did (that I'm very grateful for) is I started a photo record of myself as well. I am wearing the same outfit in each. I've done the pics every week. Sure, I can't see much in every picture - but even just the way the clothes fit me differently now makes a difference. And I've started a scrapbook of the pics - so months from now, I can look back and be proud!!!

Again, welcome and good luck in this CRAZY journey!!!!

Sheri Lynn:girl_hug:

Hi Kimmie and welcome to LBT! Congratulations on your decision to be banded. I hope that all goes smoothly for you. Best of luck to you and remember that we are here for you-Gigi