Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second thoughts befor surgery?

Is it normal to have second thoughts befor surgery? I am second guessing myself , I think because of fear and the fact that if I have a serious problem post-op my Dr. is 5 hours away. Anyone experience these feelings? i am determined still to go through with it just feeling very nervous.

I was thinking as I walked into the surgical center that maybe this wasn't a good idea :)

Um, well, let me give you some advice - when they say liquids, they mean "don't put a piece of stromboli in your mouth on the 4th day after surgery"!

I had my first PB then, and hurt my esophegus to the point I was dependent on fluids only for the next 3 days.

Since then...no, no regrets. I'm 19.1 lbs down since 2/1 when my pre-op diet started and I'm thrilled.

You'll eventually realize that you probably can't eat this certain food, or that certain food, and that's really a tough time....but you'll get past it. The positives are far superior to the negatives :)

Don't be nervous...there are a lot of us here to hold your hand, and we'll be waiting for your posts when you get home ;)

Thankyou Helen it sure does help to have people to talk to that have been down the road so to speak.

Keep the peace

Sherry

Hi Sherrylynn: Yes I had second, third, forth thoughts. What kept playing on me was my bad habits. I have failed so many other diets, lost the weight and put it back on so many times, I kept thinking of how in the world would I ever manage the restrictions. I worry every day because I haven't yet had the first fill. I am a grazer and I also binge. Dr. Joffe told me the band was not a magic bullet, that everything depended on me doing as I am advised. Most problems are caused by patients not following the rules and I frankly don't trust myself to do that. I must admit I am getting better at it and in time, I am sure my band and I will conquer my brain. So don't let your brain take over, keep reminding yourself this is for the best and "damned the torpedoes". Good luck on your decision. Doddie

Doddie you sound like you are doing fantastic. An I agree of course you have to follow the rules a I think i can once I have my surgery. I am more affraid of the unknown and the what if's.i wish you much luck staying on track. My friend has a relative in the Toronto area who was banded and has not followed procedure, she has not has complications yet but is gaining again.

Also my best friend's name is Doddy. Take care and thnakyou.

Sherry

Hi: Try not to worry about the unknown. When you think about it, no one knows what will happen in their life next. That is one big unknown. Get as much facts as you can, factor in your lifestyle and how you react to changes and make your decision from knowledge not from fear. Good luck and I am glad you best friend's nickname is Doddie. We are good people (at least I think so). Doddie

I think it is very normal for people to second guess themselves throughout the whole process. After all, I dont really like the idea of holes being poked into me on a voluntary basis.

I have a very young son, and the day that we left him behind to make the trip I was a wreck. I kept thinking what if I never see him again & leave my wife a single parent (totally irrational). I had to keep reminding myself that this was for the longterm good, and that I will likely live longer as a result of the procedure.

You will no doubt second guess yourself, but dont second guess yourself out of your future and your longterm health.

When all else failed, I relied on the stats. They are in our favour when we have our in surgery. The complication rate from the surgery is very low, especially when compared to the alternative. With my high BP my lifestyle I was at far greater risk to die of heart disease, stroke, or certain types of cancer. I am a scientist so I take faith in the the odds and proof that lies in front of me.

I have no regrets even though I am only 17 days post op and would go through all the pain again to know that I will be here longer for my family.

Come here for support. We have all been through it, and we are all at various stages in our journeys.

Andrew

thankyou gaffer, it is posts like yours that keep me going. i know I am doing the right thing but like I said just scared and nervous. you sound like your doing fablous. Is that right , 40 lbs in 17 days? That is amazing. Congrats to you and all the best.

Sherry

hi sherry - I am going through EXACTLY the same as you - it's comin up 1am here in the UK and I am a complete bag of nerves over my surgery which is on tuesday 6th. 6 weeks ago when I signed up I was so excited that I was doing something positive - now lookat me? Andrew I am also thinking "omg what if I don't see the kids again" worse is that their Dad died nearly 3 years ago, and I'm sole provider.. I feel overwhelmed by guilt and selfishness.. but my weight is totally holding me back and I'm becoming more and more isolated. It has been such a help to find your posts. Thanks so much

annie

hi sherry - I am going through EXACTLY the same as you - it's comin up 1am here in the UK and I am a complete bag of nerves over my surgery which is on tuesday 6th. 6 weeks ago when I signed up I was so excited that I was doing something positive - now lookat me? Andrew I am also thinking "omg what if I don't see the kids again" worse is that their Dad died nearly 3 years ago, and I'm sole provider.. I feel overwhelmed by guilt and selfishness.. but my weight is totally holding me back and I'm becoming more and more isolated. It has been such a help to find your posts. Thanks so much

annie

Don't ever feel selfish for taking care of yourself!!! You deserve this and so do your kids. My heart goes out to you:girl_hug:

I think we all what to change our minds we know it is going to be a big change in our lives, heck this is the first day that I could have some cream Soup and felt full it was a good feeling getting excited over cream soup. I really wanted to change my mind but all the nurses made me feel better and kept reassuring me and I had someone with me that was great support. Its day nine and feeling better everyday now I am glad I did it I know I will have good days and bad but I also know I don't want eating controling my life anymore.Change is always good and there are alot of people here to help you along the way, they have been great I have learned so much from everyone.

ahh thank you you guys - feeling weepy here now this side of the pond! gone 2am so I must go to bed you have all helped SO much!

anniex