Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits' March Challenge

Wow Delta congratulatins!!!

I havent tried running yet Im afraid that my smoker lungs wouldnt be very happy about running and also I hate running,since I have to run at school (and I didnt smoke at that time) but was a bit heavy and a lot competitous so I ran and after that I couldnt almost breath.That memory is in my mind so I really HATE running.But I might give it a try one time:-)

For a long time I thought I was a sprinter, but given time I discovered I was just a lazy long distancer. I discovered this not in track (you'd think so but not) I discovered it in PE class when after only 2 days of cross country training when everyone else was either in really good shape and breezing through or out of shape and dieing. I was chugging along and suddenly my stride and my breathing started working together in sync. It was then that I discovered that I was just a lazy long distance runner and not a sprinter, and the best part was no more shin splints :)

Alan continues to do great. He's taken himself off all pain meds because he gets itchy from them all.............he'd rather hurt than itch. He's weak, but we're starting to walk a little more each day.

OK - I'm back - been to the gym the last 4 days! (Don't think I'll make the challenge this month, but not bad for what's been going on). With the happenings of this past month I've sort of forgotten about myself - got on the scale and was up 3 lbs.................not bad - just think what it would have been last year.....................a month of stress, stress, stress...............thank you band - I learned in the hospital how to eat around my band (not going to do that any more).............so back to basics for me.........for me at least - I have to keep focused - it's not automatic I'm afraid!

Julie - when do you leave for home?

I could not find Blue's phone #............I wrote her a PM, but have not heard from her. Blue - check in - we're worried about you.

Boo - when are you going for another fill? I need to get up to my doctor in Olympia, WA (a 2 hour drive) as soon as Alan is up to driving up with me..........I haven't had a fill in a long time and feel I need one (although I still sometimes get stuck - still eat too fast at times!).

Hi Everybody! I've been out of town.

Dawn, WAY TO GO!!!!!

You ran with an excellent time! That is great!!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Betty, tell Alan he has a group of women all impressed by his quick recovery. Maybe you can post his picture, too! We all send love to you both!! I am going for a fill this week. Living without a fill has been quite an experience. (I can eat ANYTHING as FAST as I want to...yikes!) The salads have been heavenly, but so has the bread. So now I'm feeling like the "F" word again. This experience has helped me to realize that my appetites are not cured and that someday, after the weight is all gone, I can have less fill. I'm ready to live the banded life again.

Julie!! Your surgery is two days away. You've worked so hard for this and you deserve a fantastic result. I am so thrilled for you! (Not for the pain part, though) We will be here for you, no matter how scared or rotten you feel. All the training you've done this past year will bring on a miraculous healing rate. Just hold on! Don't turn back, and don't doubt yourself. You have performed like a super-hero!!! We are all in awe of you! Good luck and keep us "posted."

Julie, I am so excited for you going in to surgery. I am hoping for a quick and easy recovery for you :bolt: Tomorrow is back to the track for me. I went off the wagon yesterday and ate around my band, but today was great! back to normal :) I know what you mean Betty, if I didn't have my band I could never have lost this weight, nor have any hope of losing any at all. Days like yesterday remind me of what it was like pre band. I always felt yucky and tired and sluggish. I think bad days can serve as a good reminder of where we never want to be ever again. Hopefully I didn't do too much damage to all my hard work.

Julie,

I am thinking of you and your surgery. I know it will go great!!!

Thanks for all the congrats guys!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/191/179

exercise sessions this month= 22

Well, there is no way I can meet the challenge without cheating. It was not safe for me to exercise when I was so dehydrated and bleeding. I am up and running now, and that is good news. Tomorrow includes a little trip to TJ where a conservative fill is waiting for me. I think I have gained four pounds in the last two-and-a-half weeks! I'm NOT complaining, just hoping that eating normally has kick-started my metabolism. We'll see.

A Message to all the Runners: Buy new shoes! It seems that after six months they start to wear out. Especially if your knees or ankles start to hurt, changing shoes is the FIRST thing you should try. ALSO, when you buy shoes, bend the toe towards the heel. If the shoe bends at the arch, it is not a good shoe. (It should bend more at the toe, but the arch area should be stiff) I got that tip from my podiatrist who runs marathons. LAST tip, in addition to good shoes, wear padded athletic socks for running. (The more shock absorbers you can add under your feet, the better.) I just bought a pair of Nike shoes that LOOK like there are shock absorbers on the bottom. They look CRAZY, but it feels like I am running on a cloud!!

I'm still holding out hope for an improvement over my last 5K!!! The next race is in two weeks. I REALLY wanted to try for a trophy, but that will have to be my next goal. I just want to finish this race with a better time than the last one. (I think it was 33:00 or 34:00, but I'll have to look it up) SO Dawn, and Julie...YOU will both be urging me on in my head!

I don't think Julie ever mentioned having anyone check in for her. I wish we had a way to know she was ok too. I feel very confident in her well being---but I'd just like to have the "word".

It is cold here today---which just bums me out! I was loving the 70+ degree weather---so dropping back in the low 40's is an insult! I even have a fire going---I got chilled when I went walking and cannot warm up!

I don't know if I will make the challenge or not. I wasn't out walking for 45 minutes I know---I only did 2 miles. I may try to get on the eliptical and make up the time difference. Will have to see.

I am taking my parents to get their pictures made this afternoon. Mom is going to have her hair done, then we will go over to my friends, and get the pictures done. I cut Dads hair last week so he shouldn't be too shaggy yet. My best friend's husband, is working towards being a professional photographer. He already does a much better job than many around here---and he is affordable (read free if you let him include you in his portfolio---and take a few shots he wants). Wow---that sounds iffy----he doesn't take THOSE kind of pics!!! But like with Rick's & mine, he did some soft focus, and some of us like forehead to forehead---not pics WE particularly wanted, but some he wanted for his portfolio, of options for others. So today we do that. I want them early because I want to use their original wedding photo, and one of these as a faded background on the paper the anniversary invitations will be printed on.

Betty---how is Alan today? Itching going away without the meds? Rick has ask me about him several times---I think he feels a kinship!

Rick sees the Dr. about the esophagus problem on Monday---but with his new meds (Protonix as opposed to Nexium) he has had no reflux, and has slept better, and not choked----so that is ALL good!

Boo- know you want to be better instantly---but take it slow and easy. Better to miss a challenge, even a race, and keep your band healthy! There will be many more!

Dawn--you did great!!!! way to go!!!! I am SO impressed! Not to mention a tad jealous!!!

Molly---you too---I cannot imagine running long enough to figure that out!!! Maybe when I was younger. Now it is no longer an option---but when I see people running and they look like it is so effortless---I am envious!

Tracy---we are ALWAYS glad to have you here! ALWAYS!

Eficka---isn't it wierd how we see ourselves. I looked at your before and afters when you posted them, and thought---"wow she never got as fat as I did---I wish I had stopped it there" I thought you looked good even then. Of course you are gorgeous now---but I never saw you as that bad!!! We are always our own worst critic I suppose!

I am officially worried about Bluehill. I hope her infection has not worsened. I keep thinking maybe they just cut her phone line when they did her woodwork....hope it is nothing serious. COME BACK BLUE!!!!

Well I am off to find something to call dinner. Want to get it cooked and toss it in the crockpot so it will be done when I get back from doing the folks pics. If I eat early I do much better.

Y'all take care, and if anyone hears anything from Julie---keep us in the loop!!!

((((hugs)))))

Kat

Well after no sleep Monday night, tuesday early morning was out and I can't handle the cement so I jogged and high stepped in my own living room for the same amount of time as it would have taken me at the track! I did it barefoot though and my hip and back and knees were saying "hey put you good tennies on next time!!!" LOL. SO if I ever have to do it in my living room again it will be in my tennies :) I have very special shoes for walking and a second pair for running, complicated I know. The walking ones work for jogging though just not actual running, the toes don't flex enough. And yes BOO the arches are stiff as can be! Hehe, no wonder my back and other joint never hurt when I wear them :D I am so glad everyone seems to be mending so nicely. I would love to hear from Julie and I hope Blue checks in with us soon too!

Alan continues to astound me - he's doing just great - Kat, tell Rick thanks for asking................yesterday we took our grandkids to Barnes and Noble - read magazines for a while, had a snack at Starbucks..........came home and walked a few blocks - he's off pain meds, the itching has stopped............amazing guy!

I found Blue's telephone # and tried calling this morning - called her home and her cell and no answer..........I left a message so will wait a couple of days and try again. I do have her daughter's phone # also.........so if I can't reach her - I'll try the daughter in a few days. I'm also worried.

I won't make this months goal either - but life sometimes gets in the way! On to our bandanniversary month - bigger and better exercise and pounds lost!

Hello my friends:-)

Im throwing away the scale.Cause I havent lost a freaking pound in 1,5 weeks.And it makes me sad although I know Im probably aining muscle,because Im weight lifting a lot but it just makes me feel down:-( I told my tarainer and she also said throw away the scale, I will weight you in two weeks. Ok I will do that although Im almost obssesed with the scale.

Blue are you ok?what about that infection?I hope you will be back soon.Im sending you a lot of positive energy!!xxx

Kat sometimes I can be myself the hardest critic but on other days I almost feel like a supermodel,I guess cause I dont walk around mirrors that much:-) lol But seriously when I was that fat I knew Im fat but didnt feel like it. Its like with age, my mom tells me she feels like 25 but her body looks like fifty, although she looks much younger than 52!

Just talked to Blue - she's had a very rough time. Is on the third round of different types of antibiotics - hopefully this time it will do the trick. She lost her hardrive and just got it back so will check in soon. I'll let her tell you all about it!

I flaked out on exercise yesterday - just needed a day to rest up. Everything just caught up to me I guess. I'll get with it again tomorrow......(I sound like Scarlett).

WHEW!!! I'm glad it was just Bluehill's hard drive that broke down. I can't imagine going through all the infections! Bluehill, when you read this, you are missed! It does not feel right having you gone!

That goes to Roberta, too!!

Julie, we are all hoping for a comfortable recovery for you.

I got a fill yesterday, but it is very conservative. I can hardly feel it. My determination is building to break this plateau!!

Who wants to start the tread for April? I'll do it, unless someone else really wants to. I want to incorporate our idea of having bronze, silver and gold levels of achievement.

Bronze: 14 sessions (35-40 minutes?)

Silver: 18 sessions (40-45 minutes)

Gold: 22+ sessions (45+ minutes)

I am TOTALLY flexible on # of sessions and minutes of workout. I think our goals should be set personally and if we have different levels, we can all achieve! (We don't all have the same goals or workout needs.) We just want to challenge and support each other!! We can also invite new bandits to join in and not expect them to perform at an advanced level.

How does that sound??