Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This must sound like crazy question, but how much does everybody eat at a meal. The doctor told me to stop eating when I feel full. Well, I am so paranoid and I know that I am not eating nearly enough as I am afraid. Has anybody had the problem of nothing tasting right? I could have lived off coffee before surgery, now I have a couple of sips and don't really like it anymore. Also, has anybody eaten pancakes during the pureed/soft stages?

I do find , food taste different. Items I craved prior to surgery, I don't even think about now. It sure is an interesting trip!

What my doc says, eat your one cup of food per meal. Depending on what I am eating, or even the day, I may be able to finish that one full cup, but usually, I get that quiet burp or mild hic cup, that let's me know I am finished. You too will find your sweet spot, it took some time for me to learn how to tune into my body signals, and not listen to the voice in my head. It will be fun to read what other people answer to your question! Thanks for asking.

In the beginning, I was scared, too. I was so afraid of having some issue; PBs, vomiting, etc., that I ate very little, very slowly. In time, once you get used to all of the new feelings and sensations, you will settle into what becomes the "new normal".

I honestly do not recall my doctor telling me how much to eat. His biggest thing was to stop at the first signal. For me, that is (in terms of something like chili), about 2/3 cup. You will find your way with this......we all do. As far as things tasting different, I found that more so right after surgery. As the weeks & months passed, things normalized. But there are things that I don't crave anymore. I think a lot of it is that I'm acutely aware of how every bite of food feels when I eat it, and how much work I have to do TO eat it. Somethings aren't worth the effort anymore. Steak, for instance. Once in a blue moon I'll have some, but it's a lot of work.

Good luck..... Definitely a learning curve!

Here's my pet peeve. Doctors who say 'eat till you are full'. I call bulls**t on that. Most of us have no concept of full...we eat till we are stuffed which is why we are overweight to begin with.

Go back to your doctor or nutritionist and ask specifically how many calories you should be consuming and then track them in a journal or ap like myfitnesspal. This will give you the guidelines you need to be successful.

I was told to never eat more than a cup of food per meal. In fact, I was told being "being full" has nothing to do with it. The reason I was told never more than a cup of food per meal is to lessen the risk of over eating, which can lead to stretching the pouch and even slips.

I was given a measuring cup that is 1/2 cup and told to fill 1/4 cup Protein 1/8 veggies and 1/8 carbs (PVC) and to eat protein 1st as it will enable me to stay full longer. Had 1st fill Oct 31-2.25 CC. Hopefully will feel difference when I start back on food. Was also told by nurse to call if I feel I need fill sooner than scheduled. I make my meals every Sunday for the next week. Makes it so much easier.