Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to an informational meeting yesterday for the lap band. My BMI is 37.5. I was told that since I am very close to the cut off (35) I may not get accepted.

Do they have any idea how hard I have worked to get it to 37.5. My problem seems to be quantity or servings. A lap band would help with this. Is there anyone on here who

Has had a low BMI to begin with?

Thanks for any help-

Jane

I can't speak for your insurance, but the standard is a BMI of 35 with two co-morbidities or a BMI of 40 with no co-morbidities.

With a BMI of 37.5, it's not considered a low BMI and it seems you should be approved if you do have at least co-morbidities.

Hi Jane, my insurance company has one requirement only, a BMI of 40. I tried the co-morbidity route (documented high BP and sleep apnea) but no-go -- 40 or nothing. Well I wasn't at 40. I was close (37) but it was pretty stressful. I kept asking which weight would be reported to the insurance company and when. I got as heavy as possible and then added some to make the weight. Then when I finally got to meet the surgeon I told him this and he said that they would have let me weigh in with my coat, purse, whatever it took. Wish I had known that in the beginning but there was no opportunity for that kind of dialogue. But I made it. And you will, too. If you are over the cutoff you are over it -- just wear the three layers and your clunky jewelry, have whatever in your pockets, etc. Tell them your concerns, too, so they know you are borderline. And good luck to you through the process -- exciting to begin your journey!

I had a BMI of 35 and was just banded on October 4th. Neither myself or my husband had insurance that would cover it. I had no problems with the doctor. I saw him and scheduled the surgery within the next 2 weeks. Don't give up!!

I also didn't stand up quite straight...and measured an inch shorter...that helped a lot!

Wear a pair of 5lb ankle weights so that u weigh more.

U'll be asked to go on a 2week diet prior to surgery. Remove the weights and there's ur first 10lb lost!

Please dont attack me guys! I do realize this isnt the best advice. But someone told it to me, i didnt do it and hear i am paying 10k outta pocket for the next 3yrs, because i was 15lbs from the bmi my insurance would pay 100% for...

Wear a pair of 5lb ankle weights so that u weigh more.

U'll be asked to go on a 2week diet prior to surgery. Remove the weights and there's ur first 10lb lost!

Please dont attack me guys! I do realize this isnt the best advice. But someone told it to me, i didnt do it and hear i am paying 10k outta pocket for the next 3yrs, because i was 15lbs from the bmi my insurance would pay 100% for...

Some might attack you, but I'll be honest. If only 10 pounds stood between me getting my Lap Band covered by insurance? I'd do the same thing. In a heartbeat.

With my insurance, it didn't matter that I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, swelling in my legs, recent back surgery and back was starting to hurt again and taking 7 medications a day. You would think that if it is a necessary to better your life Insurance Co. would cover it. Oh well, I will be paying my loan off for the next 3 years!!! But at least I will be healthy. :)

Ir Dr can submit an appeal n hopegully that should help u. I have sleep apnea n a BMI of 35 weight 193lbs n 5"1 n they approved me. On the sleep apnea there has to be a certain number i thinks its called an HA something like that mines was at 14 n that it what got me through. I dont have any other medical problem but apnea n overweight

Some might attack you, but I'll be honest. If only 10 pounds stood between me getting my Lap Band covered by insurance? I'd do the same thing. In a heartbeat.

Seriously. :D

Two years ago I was around a 34-36 BMI. I visited a weight loss clinic and was immediately put through the insurance required schedule, only to learn insurance very well will reject me. After 4 nutrition appointments (insurance didn't cover) I stopped going. Currently, I still struggled with my weight. Being short (5'0"), it was affecting me. I knew I wasn't going back to that clinic. Discovered a different place and are now a 38.8 BMI. Was 39.0 highest. Lost 7.8 lbs since June. Have attended each monthly nutrition/appointment, had an upper scope completed, and are going 11/16 for my final visit. Submit to insurance and lapband surgery is December 6!!! I have acid reflux, arthritis in my knee. The office I go to said they've had all sorts of insurance to deal with and mine is up there in a hassle to approve. But, they know how to push to get it accepted.

Many who come in for their appointment are in the 245-300+ range. People look at me like I've already had it. Or, I do not need it!!

That is great!!! Glad they finally accepted it. I am a very impatient person and was not going to fight for months while my health issues continued to get worse. I was miserable all the time and my attitude at work projected that. I was very depressed and then I turned the dreaded "50". I decided I needed to do something about it so I did. The day of surgery the nurse came out and called my name. She was looking around right past me. Then apologized after that saying that she thought I was waiting for someone else.

My thoughts are, just because I don't need to lose 100+ lbs, doesn't mean I don't need the surgery. I definately have other issues that would correct if I didn't have all the weight. I am happy to say I am on that journey and down 20lbs today!!! Best of luck to everyone on this journey!!