Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Addiction/Emotional Eating Worry

I do not ever know when (or if) I will be able to get the surgery and I know I don’t need to be so stressed about it, but something is really bothering me. I think I might be a food addict. I’m like 99.9% sure I am, and I am an emotional eater. Eat when I am sad, happy, stressed, bored….etc.etc.

Well I know you will not be as hungry and it will only take a tiny bit to be full, but what about all the other times you eat when you are NOT HUNGERY. I don’t know how I am going to fight those urges to eat after the band. Also, I quit smoking in Jan and pretty much replaced that habit with gum. According to the papers from UVA, I can’t chew gum anymore. How will I keep from eating when I would normally chew gum?

I know I can’t be alone with this issue. I you have the band already, how is it different? Do you have to fight all of those urges to eat or are they gone? How do to fight it? If you have not had the surgery, do you have the same fear as I do? I may be stressing way too much about this, but any little bit of information y’all can share will be appreciated.

Hi Jill, I am 15 days from surgery if all goes as planned, have my last dr apt on the 5th and will set date then but that's what I am expecting. As a true food addict, I have spent a lot of time consuming food, grazing,etc. The thought occurred to me today, what will I do with all this extra time? I am so looking forward to a brand new life full of things I haven't been able to do in a long time, moving more, sewing clothes for myself like I enjoyed years ago, easier traveling,etc. I am excited to start this new journey and tho it is scary, I believe I can overcome, just take one day,one hour at a time. You're not alone and I'm sure we all have lots of conflicting emotions, let's hang in there together !

I do not ever know when (or if) I will be able to get the surgery and I know I don’t need to be so stressed about it, but something is really bothering me. I think I might be a food addict. I’m like 99.9% sure I am, and I am an emotional eater. Eat when I am sad, happy, stressed, bored….etc.etc.

Well I know you will not be as hungry and it will only take a tiny bit to be full, but what about all the other times you eat when you are NOT HUNGERY. I don’t know how I am going to fight those urges to eat after the band. Also, I quit smoking in Jan and pretty much replaced that habit with gum. According to the papers from UVA, I can’t chew gum anymore. How will I keep from eating when I would normally chew gum?

I know I can’t be alone with this issue. I you have the band already, how is it different? Do you have to fight all of those urges to eat or are they gone? How do to fight it? If you have not had the surgery, do you have the same fear as I do? I may be stressing way too much about this, but any little bit of information y’all can share will be appreciated.

Your concerns are totally normal Jill. Many of us, if not most of us are food addicts. I know I am. All I can say to you being banded 8 1/2 months now is that you have to be able to fight the demon that is head hunger. The band helps you to feel satiated on less food. With that assistance, you then have to put in the work to tell yourself you are not really hungry and go off and find other things to do instead of eat. Because you are satisfied, you can often become occupied with other things and forget about food for a while and that will help you to maintain your calorie count or Portion Control. For me, I am finding that it is more satisfying to be in control of what I am eating rather than the enjoyment of eating too much. A lot of this is a real head game with yourself but again, if you are not hungry all the time, it's easier to make better choices. Just know that demon is always there so don't turn your back on him or you'll be in trouble. Good luck to you and I hope what I wrote helped you some.

Hi Jill,

I have been banded for almost 6 months now. I chew gum all the time, though I am very careful NOT to swallow it. I love my gum I blow bubbles and love to make them crack much to the chagrin of my co-workers. It helps me with my cravings.

I am emotional eater as well. I think it's safe to say most of us are food addicts, since we must eat to live it's easy for someone who likes food to use it as a salve for many many things.

Over the course of working toward getting my band, and over the months since I have been banded I continue to work every day on being aware of what triggers those feelings and cravings to eat. Sometimes I allow myself to fall into the bad habits of the past, so that I can learn and recognize why I am doing something. Why am I choosing to put that chocolate in my mouth? Is it because I really want it? Is it mouth hunger, emotional hunger, or am I thirsty? Or maybe I am really hungry and I would best be served by eating something.

I try to make better choices through out my day, if I really want that chocolate I eat the most expensive chocolate and richest tasting one and enjoy it. I no longer eat the junk. It's not worth it to me.

If I just have that hankering for something sweet sometimes a shake or Protein bar fit the bill and they are right in line with my plan.

The best advice I can give you is to know yourself. Get into your psyche and find out why you turn to food. Is it that you need a hug, or a cry or to punch someone in the face? (for me it's usually the latter!)

In that case I have learned over the last few months to take a walk, to vent, to speak my mind when it needs speaking and to hit the gym when things need punching! This way it's win win for everyone, and we save money on hospital bills for the kids :)

It's not easy, the band won't make all the emotional stuff go away. It will help you to get control over some of your eating habits and create some space for you to work on the emotional side of things.

It's been a blessing for me and I would do it again in a heart beat. Hubby too. We work the bands together, and it's him and I against our five monsters..I mean kids who are enough to try the patients of a saint and give the devil a run for his money any day of the week!

I should mention that all our kids are over the age of 18...I've never punched one, but I will admit I have dreamed about it before :wacko:

Hi Jill, thanks for starting such a great thread here. I started my process in June and started to see a therapist in July specifically to talk about my relationship with food. It's not like I haven't been working on all of this for, say, twenty-two years or so, but I knew I needed to tap all resources possible for this big new change in my life. I've been able to determine some areas that are red flags for me. I was eating to tamp down anxiety and stress but also out of habit. If I had a conference call coming up or a meeting with clients I would eat as a way to prep myself and as a kind of reward for something I didn't really want to do. Also all the years of deprivation and being on or off of one diet or another screwed my head up and I worried that being banded might not work. But it will -- I'm getting it next week and I can't wait. With my appetite dimmed I will be able to really assess what is going on when I have an impulse to eat. It might be the healthy kind, good old hunger which of course is elusive now pre-band but I understand post band it's very clear. I feel so willing to do whatever it takes. I still want to be able to have whatever it is I want because I am a healthy eater now and love food that's good for me, but I'll just be having much, much less and at appropriate intervals. I think it's going to be hard sometimes but not hard like it's been for me for so long feeling so screwed up about a basic thing like eating. And I'm a cook. I'm into food, production cooking and I still will be doing all that. Just not sitting down to a big plate and then grazing before and after. Best wishes to you as you go through the process. We are all here together for a reason.

Good for you in making all of those positive life changes...you're very brave to do it all relatively at the same time and I admire your tinacity. I know it's hard, but you will only make it worse by worrying about how you're going to make it through. You've done great so far! You are now a non-smoker and before you know it, you will be a non-food addict! Don't worry about how you're going to do it...just take it one day, one hour, one minute and at times it might be one second at a time. Replace those urges to smoke or eat by sipping a cool glass of Water, or writing a list of things you're looking forward to doing in the next 6 months to a year...anything to keep your hands and mind occupied. Start sewing...you'll need that skill when you start losing weight because shopping isn't going to be practical for a while for you. Meditate, go for walks, practice deep breathing and imagine helping your body to clear your lungs out from all of the old smoker's gunk. Get creative...just don't go back to any of your bad habits. The light is starting to shine at the end of the tunnel...just keep working your way there. We're waiting to hear your victory NSV's and other worthwhile accomplishments. Go you!

Thank you so much for the support. Some of what was said is making me tear up.

I had these same fears when I was thinking of quitting smoking. What am I going to do with myself? But, I have been smoke free for almost a year (Jan 1,2014) and it is getting much easier. I totally open to any suggestions that anyone might have....ex) walk down the hall and work and not want to stop and every person's candy dish......

It is funny how your mind works...things that are good positive changes can scare the tar out of you!