Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To weigh or not to weigh

The first couple of weeks after surgery, I was obsessive about getting on the scale. Why not, it was GREAT to see the numbers go down EVERY DAY! Then around my 16th day, the scale went UP! I got so obsessive about the weighing - I did it about 4 times a day. My Dad told me that he was going to take the scale away - because I was making myself crazy. I was concentrating on weight loss and not on the healing process. Then the hunger came, and I started to eat - sensibly, and of course my restriction is not what it was the first 15 days either. So now, I have not weighed myself in nearly two weeks. I'm afraid to - b/c I don't want to see any weight gain.

Is this a smart thing to do at this point? I don't feel like I've lost, though the clothes are fitting much better.

Should I get the scale back and weigh in once a week, or wait until after my first fill - Around March 15? Because it's not until after I start getting fills that I can have restriction, eat less - and of course expect some weight loss.

Opinions??

The scale and when to weigh and how often is a quite common obsession for most of us bandsters. I need to weigh every week, once a week to keep track of things. In the past (being a yo yo dieter) I can i guess 'tune out' what's going on and very easily gain 5 or more pounds in no time. Weighing more then once a week makes me crazy though as it fluctuates sooo much. My band doc even suggested once a month unless my pants are feeling tighter but i couldn't do that. I think once a week in the morning, naked is best - again recognizing that certain times of the month may give an inaccurate reading.

I had an appointment with a General Practice doctor today, first time meeting him. The nurse rushed me in, weighed me - and off again. HONESTLY, don't even know what I weighed in at. However, I think it's a blessing in disguise considering:

I have always weighed naked in the a.m. Today I had on jeans, a sweater and heavy leather boots (we've got snow here on the ground). So if I was UP a good 5 pounds, I'd be devestated. So I was thinking I'd get my scale back from dear old Dad and just do a weigh in tomorrow - as once every two weeks is 'healthy' mentally for me. Then I remembered...this is my PMS week. I would simply be setting myself up for tears if I were to weigh in tomorrow. So...I'll wait another week.

I will say the clothes are NOT tight; actually now fitting into things I haven't in three years.

You're right - the scale is a 'tool'. To me, the scale is torture. I remember my Weight Watchers weigh ins. I would nearly hyperventilate when stepping up.

I get on the scale almost every morning - just to see what's happening. I just keep in mind that my weight can easily fluctuate 2-3 pounds in a day depending on how much sodium I am eating and how much Water I am drinking (and the phase of the moon, and the shift of the tides)

Personally - I can pretend that I have been better than I have really been if I go for too long without checking. It's better for me to see the daily fluctuations. It doesn't depress me too much and it keeps me on plan.

But that's just me....

Right now with such limited restriction, if I see that scale go up...it's just not right for me, mentally. It's almost a feeling of diet failure - again! I know right now - I should be all about healing. OH yea, sure, whatever!!! lol I also know that the scale WILL flucuate daily, hourly. But when I weigh in, that fact goes OUT THE DOOR! Ugh.

I'll weigh in another week. Then on 3/15 for my 6 week follow up. :faint:

The question you have posed is one that I think most of us struggle with. If I don't weigh everyday, I have a tendancy to get off track with my eating plan, so despite the frustrations of normal fluctuations I weigh every morning (and sometimes at night, hehe)

I don't even own a scale anymore because I was so obsessive over it in the past. Now I only wiegh once a week on the huge scale down at the receiving dock at work. Even though I have an appointment Monday I will still wiegh myself to keep track of my wieght on the same scale.

I get on the scale every morning. It is just to make sure that I have not gained any. I am getting my first fill next week and right now I can eat way more than I should. If I had will power I would not have gotten the band. I do measure once a week and have lost 3 inches around my waist. However due to my walking and personal trainer I have gained 2 inches in my thighs. She tells me that is a good thing and with that muscle gain I would not see a big drop in weight. I guess that is a good thing. I do know that I feel much better now.

Good luck to all!!!!!!!!

i like to weigh myself at night, after i've eaten and everything, right before bed. that way i won't ruin my day if i see something i don't like and i know if i DO see something i like, then it must be really, really great considering the time of day (err, night)!!!

I find myself weighing everyday. I am not concerned with weight loss right now, but I noticed yesterday morning that I have gained 1.5 lbs. I just started on soft foods this week, so I am assuming that's why. I still have a while before I can get a fill, so I guess I will just watch what I eat. I think I am going to try not to weigh more than once a week. I think if I gain more weight before my fill I will be disappointed.

I still have not weighed myself on my own scale at home; going on three weeks. I went to my nutritionist today for my first post surgical visit. He took my measurements and so far I've only lost 17 (on my surgeons scale, three weeks ago) but have lost 2" in my waist, 4" in my bust and 5" on my hips! I knew the clothes were getting loose - but thought that this was just too good to be true!!! So NOT weighing has paid off for me mentally. Even if I have gained some weight back to lack of restriction; the inches ARE coming off!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I've never liked weighing myself and gave up on doing it when I was 25. Since then life has been figured out by clothing size issues and it was I could not longer shop in the normo stores that I figured that I needed the band.

I finally weighed myself at the age of 57 on the morning of my surgery. I weighed 200 lbs and was wearing size 18W pants. This was last September. Now I wear size 14 pants. I only get weighed when I go for a fill and at my last fill which was last week they told me I weigh 170.

If I were you I would throw away the scales, concentrate on eating carefully and healthily, getting in some excercise, and enjoying those wonderful Non scale Victories which do keep cropping up. You know what I am talking about: clothes getting looser, going down a size or two, getting compliments, moving around without huffing and puffing, etc.... Afterall, we are all in this for the non-scale stuff, aren't we?

Silry.....I like your weigh in the evening idea!

Now, for what I was told. Are you going to the fitness center? If so, there may be no weight loss for awhile, while the lean muscle is being made. Muscle weighs more than fat, so that could be a reason. I am hoping that is the case for me!