Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sisterhood of the shrinking pants

Today at around 3:30pm I went in for surgery. I am officially in bandland and want to give updates on my progress.

I was in some pain at first but once they gave me the good stuff it was very much controlled. They gave me medicine to control the nausea. I am actually spending the night at the hospital since my procedure was so late in the day.

I don't really have any gas pains yet. The worst of the pain is at the port sight. My throat is very dry and a little sore from the anesthesia so I'm living on ice chips at the moment. I also have these annoying leg compressors on to prevent blood clots. I had a really hard time peeing. I feel like i have to pee but can't really go. Other than all that i feel pretty good.

I'm excited my journey has begun and I'm touched by all the support I'm getting here and from my family. I am truly blessed! I'm looking forward to reading about everyones progress. Please feel free to post anything you would like to share. Including poems or anything creative as well. The sisterhood of the shrinking pants is for everyone. How are you doing? I would love to know. :)

Today at around 3:30pm I went in for surgery. I am officially in bandland and want to give updates on my progress. I was in some pain at first but once they gave me the good stuff it was very much controlled. They gave me medicine to control the nausea. I am actually spending the night at the hospital since my procedure was so late in the day. I don't really have any gas pains yet. The worst of the pain is at the port sight. My throat is very dry and a little sore from the anesthesia so I'm living on ice chips at the moment. I also have these annoying leg compressors on to prevent blood clots. I had a really hard time peeing. I feel like i have to pee but can't really go. Other than all that i feel pretty good. I'm excited my journey has begun and I'm touched by all the support I'm getting here and from my family. I am truly blessed! I'm looking forward to reading about everyones progress. Please feel free to post anything you would like to share. Including poems or anything creative as well. The sisterhood of the shrinking pants is for everyone. How are you doing? I would love to know. :)

Congratulations on being banded. The best thing I ever did for me and my health. I think staying over night is better. I did but then my surgery was at 7 pm.

The caption is what got me I was going to post that to someone the other day as people do exchange and buy clothes on here as we lose , I loved that movie and thought about it the other day as I am losing my clothes r getting to big so I may just go through them and post them on here someday,good luk on your journey .

loved your caption too and so glad you have joined the banded world. The best decision I've ever made. When you get home and you have gas pains if you do, walk walk walk and sip sip sip to stay hydrated. I wish you well and give you virtual hugs tonight.

Sounds like you are on a good start ... As Donna said,, walk and sip.. if you get pain in your shoulder use a heating pad.. I stayed overnight too and glad I did . .I had some nausea and had to be catherized so staying in the hospital was a good thing... we've been there and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask... Good Luck...

Hi there and congratulations -- right behind you shrinking sister! Here is a poem for you in case those pneumo-boots are keeping you awake (I can hear that sound now):

Some nights stay up until dawn

As the moon sometimes does for the sun

Be a full bucket

Pulled up from the dark well

Into the light.

-- Rumi

Thank you everyone. I'm having a little gas pain this morning. Very tolerable. However, this port site is a pain. My nurses have been great! Although I had a nurses assistant who was a little moody. I am very happy I spent the night.

I would love for this to be a space people can share clothes and anything else. I know I will def need to do some clothes swapping.

Bandista I loved that poem! Thank you for sharing. That's what I want to see! For everyone else thank you for the love. With that said I leave you with this:

It Is Your Turn Now

By Rumi

It is your turn now, you waited, you were patient.

The time has come, for us to polish you.

We will transform your inner pearl into a house of fire.

You're a gold mine.

Did you know that, hidden in the dirt of the earth?

It is your turn now, to be placed in fire.

Let us cremate your impurities.

What a great poem -- thank you! I'm going to pin that one up in my studio. Love Rumi but don't think I've seen that one before. Best wishes to you today getting packed up and home again, home again -- settling In for a weekend of R&R. It's your turn now.....

Congrats! Loved the poem, too! welcome to the "sisterhood, with brothers, too"!!

Of course brothers are welcome too! I'm finally home now! Chewed my gas-x and sipping on my Protein Shake watching a Steven King movie! Keep the posts coming. I'm loving the them! Everyone is welcome to contribute words, poems, pictures of anything that's valuable to them. :)

Ok so I'm having rough times with the gas! It's stuck in my chest and i don't know if I'm eating too fast or what but it's so uncomfortable. I'm supposed to beback to work tomorrow! I have been taking my gas-x and walking. I have a headache that just keeps coming back too. Any suggestions?

Hi Jess,

Try some warm tea, to help move the gas. I don't know why but that really worked for me and helped calm my tummy also.

At four days I wasn't eating anything yet, on Protein shakes and liquid diet only. If your Dr. said OK for foods, follow his directions...but maybe cut it back a bit and supplement a shake or two until your feeling better.

Hi there, so sorry you're having this pain today. The tea suggestion above sounds good on many levels including caffeine -- could it be that kind of headache, getting off meds, post-anesthesia, etc.? As for the gas (and I'm pre-op, know nothing!) some one on here a while back got relief from the "happy baby" pose -- do you know that one? Or maybe laying with a small firm pillow under your shoulders, head and neck back, arms wide, so that chest area really opens and any trapped gas can move. Hope you feel better soon! Be gentle with yourself, take the time you need to really recover......