Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which WL App is the best? - NONE

Check out this article....I will say for myself I found it liberating when I stopped using a app about 4 months after my surgery....now I know why...

/

/

http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=tw

I've used myfitnesspal for journaling but haven't done it in a very long time. When I started this journey I knew going in that daily journaling was not something long term I would do. I use it from time to time if I feel I am off track a bit and I need to monitor closer. Only other app I use is Runkeeper. I use that to keep track of my distance walked as it is uses GPS. Other than that I do not rely on other features. For example it will tell me how far I've walked and how many calories I've burned but I do question the accuracy of the calories as my steps are not always the same pace.

It depends on what you use it for.

The article states:

"The researchers tested the apps to see which of them incorporated 20 behavioral strategies from the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP), steps commonly touted by physicians to help their patients lose weight and control their diabetes or cardiovascular disease.

Of the 20 DPP strategies, goal-setting for weight loss and diet were most commonly included in the mobile apps, with 93.3 percent of apps having weight loss goal-setting features and 90 percent having diet goal-setting features. The third most common strategy was calorie balance (meaning users could compare the calories they ate to the calories they spent) with 86.7 percent of the apps having this feature. But beyond those three, it was hit or miss when it came to including any of the other 17 DPP strategies."

We're band patients using the apps strictly for tracking- not dietary advice or support. That's what our surgeons and nutritionists are for. We (mostly) don't let the apps dictate how many calories we're allowed either because that is also the job of doctor or nutritionist.

For the reason and way Lap Band patients use tracking apps, this study doesn't really apply because we do get all the 20 DPP strategies from our medical staff and aren't looking for the app to replace it.

Just like our bands, the apps are just another tool at our disposal.

I'm pre-band and using My Fitness Pal for exercise motivation and the community value. Helpful as a place to track food as well. Even without a band I'd never rely on the calories burned or recommendations from the app. Had to laugh yesterday as it put me down for 860 burned for my workout plus some gardening -- I imagine six weeks from now I will have trouble getting that many in!

My

I'm pre-band and using My Fitness Pal for exercise motivation and the community value. Helpful as a place to track food as well. Even without a band I'd never rely on the calories burned or recommendations from the app. Had to laugh yesterday as it put me down for 860 burned for my workout plus some gardening -- I imagine six weeks from now I will have trouble getting that many in!

I too enjoy enjoy Myfitness pal fpr tracking caloric intake only ...as well as Nike Boom for a work out app!

However...LAPBAND <<< We need an APP for that! :)

I write down everything on a log that I turn into my dietician every month. I am honest with what I write and her feedback is appreciated. I have been successful since I started because of the accountability I have to my team of doctors, myself and to the band. I am on fitness pal but don't use it.

"Despite finding that weight loss mobile apps have a long way to go when it comes to incorporating proven behavioral strategies into their features, obesity scientist Dr. Sherry Pagoto, who led the research team, thinks that the apps are a "fantastic start.""

I use my fitness pal because it will also let you track your protein/some Vitamins and exercise. I use it diligently because I don't want to screw up. Also if you are contemplating something you can put in the food to see what the calorie content/protein content before you eat it and get an idea beforehand. I've done that a couple of times and changed my mind - lol (too high in carbs/calories.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I use My Fitness Pal and fitbit. They share data, so the only thing I have to log is what I eat. Of course I'm still a newbie and trying to keep track of everything.

I use My Fitness Pal and fitbit. They share data, so the only thing I have to log is what I eat. Of course I'm still a newbie and trying to keep track of everything.

Can you give me some insight to Fitbit? I haev heard of it but don't know the logistics. Thanks so much! XO

The fitbit is a band I wear on my wrist that tracks my steps, distance, activity minutes, calories burned and sleep. It's waterproof so I can wear it all the time.