Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to decide if Lap Band is right for me

I am trying to determine if Lap Band is right for me.....I do not like to or allow myself to throw up even if I am sick now, scared! Talked to several people and they have told me they lost weight but then gained almost all of it back, not sure if I want to go through this invasive procedure just to gain most of my weight back.

Please help me if you have any comments or information you can provide.

Thanks

Vomiting is not normal with the band, in fact it's very dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

As far as gaining weight back, that would be 100% under your control. The band is there to control your appetite which helps you to eat less and lose weight. However, eating the right foods and in band sized portions is the patient's job. You have to make a commitment to changing your eating habits to healthy ones for a lifetime. If after reaching goal you slip back into old bad habits then you definitely would regain the weight. But again, that is totally under your control. Essentially, it's your choice to keep the weight off or not.

My best advice is to do your homework and research the facts of the Lap Band- not anecdotal evidence from a forum or YouTube. Have a look at the actual medical facts so you know exactly what would be expected of you and decide if the band is right for you.

Best wishes.

I agree with Missy. Take the time to do the research. Attend some seminars at your local hospital or where they perform bariatric surgery. Speak to you doctors and get their medical opinion and advice.

You should not be vomiting at all. I am like you and I never like to have to vomit even when I was a child with a tummy virus. It always did make me feel better, Mom was right..but I hated it and cried the whole time.

The band is not synonymous with vomiting and if people tell you it is, they are using it wrong and doing grave harm to themselves and their band.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks and you sound just like me, I cry, have to have a cold wash rag the entire thing like I am a child. I have researched it and 1/2 of me tells me to go for it, and the other 1/2 is like look at all the negative, it just worries me and I am not sure I personally know enought people that have took this journey.

Maybe I need to find a journey buddy to go through this process with....

Missy

I do know lots of people that have done gastric bypass and say they would do it again in a heart beat....but my insurance only covers a certain amount, I would still be paying out of pocket for this for gastric it would be about 15,000 out of pocket, OUCH

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't even consider any weight loss surgery unless you're 100% sure it's the right choice for you. If only half of you says "go for it"- then you're not ready. This is a life changing decision and not one to enter into lightly.

Fyi- you did talk about people with the Gastric Bypass doing it again. I've lost 228 pounds in 20 months with my Lap Band and I'd definitely do it again in a heartbeat. I love my band, it's given me my life back.

One of the reasons I chose lapband is because i could not imagine willingly having my intestines rerouted or half my stomach cut away and thrown in the garbage. The malabsorption issues scared me too.

Due diligence is my thing. I do it for a living, and I make a nice one at that...so that said let me tell you my story short and sweet.

7 years ago at the age of 34 I was having major medical issues. Surgery after surgery, and finally my Dr. said Lisa what are you going to do about this weight?

He gave me a doctor who was a colleague of his who did bariatric surgery. Lapband specialty. OK I thought maybe I will go and see this guy. I waited a year...then I went to see him. I loved him, he had a great practice, people were nice office chairs fit my big butt I was happy!

Then he gave me the list of things I had to do..and the prep and the doctors and I checked on it some more..and I wasn't ready. Only a part of me was cheering...do it do it do it..the other half was saying...ummm I don't know...surgery...another one..complications...failure. I have personal friends I know who had the band, the 4cc one years ago and they not only failed but they had major issues...that was nearly 15 years ago...things have changed...but still. I wasn't ready.

Then this January, newly married my husband facing a hip replacement and both of us over weight. Happy in love and overweight. WE went back to see the doctor and this time I was ready. I was all in. My hubby was all in, and we have never looked back! True it's only 5 months...(nearly) but I could not be happier! I am much healthier, I can walk and run I take the stairs now!

It took me 3 years to get here from the time I first met the surgeon and 4 years from the time I was given his number.

So take your time and be sure it's the right surgery and the right time for YOU.

The band takes 100% commitment pre-op and post op. If your not ready to give that 100% your not ready.

I am trying to determine if Lap Band is right for me.....I do not like to or allow myself to throw up even if I am sick now, scared! Talked to several people and they have told me they lost weight but then gained almost all of it back, not sure if I want to go through this invasive procedure just to gain most of my weight back.

Please help me if you have any comments or information you can provide.

Thanks

I agree 100 percent with Missy, I am a lap band vet of over 8 years, and there is NO weight loss surgery, lap band, Sleeve, RNY, or DS will prevent you from "gaining weight back" they are ALL TOOLS, but work differently.

You need to research the band indepth and go to Allergan's website, they can provide you with how the lap band works and talk to surgeons and go to seminars and talk to successful lap banders and ask they how they use their bands and what it takes to be successful and keep the weight off long term.

It takes dedication, compliance and motivation, following a low calorie, low carb lifestyle most of the time, exercise is a must for many, and keeping up with fills and aftercare to do well, short and long term. You can still eat treats but sparingly in the weight loss phase,

The only thing the band does is limited your portions and make you feel full quicker, it does not choose the quality of food, it helps with the quantity and it does nothing else, every thing else is UP TO YOU.

Good luck!

The mentally and physically prepared is not the issue, my issue is the negative things I have heard about Lap Band....I have too have already had one surgery this year, had to have a hysto at age 29 my back kills me on most days and I am just tired of giving everything 100% and seeing little or no results. I was working out at the gym 7 days a week 2 hours a day, eating like a rabbit and still only got done 30 lbs. I am ready for a life change, I want to watch my children grow, I want to see their kids and I think I just need to go meet with the surgeon and roll with this.

Thanks guys for the great advise, I am sure you will see me around here more...Missy

The mentally and physically prepared is not the issue, my issue is the negative things I have heard about Lap Band....I have too have already had one surgery this year, had to have a hysto at age 29 my back kills me on most days and I am just tired of giving everything 100% and seeing little or no results. I was working out at the gym 7 days a week 2 hours a day, eating like a rabbit and still only got done 30 lbs. I am ready for a life change, I want to watch my children grow, I want to see their kids and I think I just need to go meet with the surgeon and roll with this.

Thanks guys for the great advise, I am sure you will see me around here more...Missy

I understand how you feel MissyT. I also had to have a hysto at an early age. For us that can cause it's own issues with weight loss and weight gain.

If you are in a good place about it, you can do it. It's not a miracle surgery. Your not going to wake up at goal weight. It may take a year or two..if your anything like me your going to lose a bit slower. Hormonal issues can be a huge mountain to climb when it comes to weight loss, but it is possible!

Best of luck on your journey, we'll be looking for you on the banded side.

If ur vomitting ur band is too tight and time for an UnFill. Some can endure it and rely on vomitting as a way to cut back on calories and can for the most part tolerate it.

Im not one of those people however!

Honestly if i cld do it all over again i wldve gotten the sleeve. Simply bcuz restriction begins the day ur out of surgery no monthly back and forward fill adjustments to find ur green zone.

The sleeve was 3k more than the band and since im a cash patient i ended up with the band