Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confusions with my lapband (mystery)

Hello everyone,

This is my frist time to write publicly about my lap band so please excuse me if i don't get this right the first time. I am, however, writing on this website because I have a lot of confusion about certain symptoms and things thats going on with my band.

First of all just to have you guys up to speed about myself:

I was banded over a year ago (August 2012) and have been doing great ever since. I am about 10 pounds away from my target weight. I have had no complications along the way thank god... until now :(

First mystery:

Basically, for some reason, I can only take up to 1.5cc for me to be in the green zone with my band. Anything more than that and my band is too tight. I have been like that since day one. I find it very odd but didn't question too much since i was not having complications, but that is an awfully small amount. I know it differs for everyone but thats a bit strange no? Would anyone know a reason to why I am like this with my band?

Second mystery:

A few days ago, I was eating some brown rice with a bit of tuna that I made and after eating by half an hour, I was nauseated, vomited, and had a sudden sharp and severe pain in my stomach where my band is. I went to the emergency room and had most of my band unfilled. during the time between when my pain started and the unfill I was drinking Water which assured the fact that my band might not have slipped. The pain was relieved instantly and since then I have been eating and drinking normally with some pain and soreness here and there but nothing compared to before.

I am getting a barium swallow test and a gastroscopy done this week with a follow up with my doctor. Till then, can anyone help me with my questions?

Thank you! :)

Many people need no saline in their band at all so no surprise you only needed 1.5 CCs. Some people have a very thick stomach lining or maybe the doctor placed the band further down the neck of your stomach where it's thicker? Doesn't really matter though. This is a non issue imo.

By vomiting, do you mean from your stomach or from your pouch? In other words, did you PB or regurgitate the food or was it a hurling session as if you had stomach flu?

Of course, only your doctor could know for sure but a full scale vomit is very hard on the stoma area. The food in your lower stomach is violently forced up through a pen sized hole and it could have caused a suture to tear? The fluoroscope/gastroscope should answer this question?

But, it sounds like you had a stuck episode?

I only have 3ccs in my band and I am in the green zone. Some people have none It depends on a lot of things as to why you only need that much but be thankful that is all you need. As far as vomiting I would think that would be determined by your doctor. There could be many reasons for vomiting.

I'm really glad to hear that you have the two diagnostic tests scheduled. If you've gone over a year without complications, and now, all of a sudden, have this issue, I would also be concerned.

As tmf said, there are many people who do very well with the band, without any fills at all. There is no template when it comes to this. It could be something as simple as......you ate something that didn't agree with you, all the way to a full blown issue. The only way you will know, is after these tests are done. I will be interested to hear the outcome. Please post once you know what's going on.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I vomited from my pouch but was very nauseated as well, which is PBing correct? What do you mean by a 'stuck episode'? @2muchfun? I do feel like the rice i cooked was not cooked well enough and that contributed to what happened but still no idea till the results.

thank you cheryl and mstro I guess 1.5cc isnt something to worry about. Thank you all and I will update you on the results this week!

Sorry I wasn't clear, I vomited from my pouch but was very nauseated as well, which is PBing correct? What do you mean by a 'stuck episode'? @2muchfun? I do feel like the rice i cooked was not cooked well enough and that contributed to what happened but still no idea till the results.

thank you cheryl and mstro I guess 1.5cc isnt something to worry about. Thank you all and I will update you on the results this week!

Rice can be difficult for many bandsters to eat. Sometimes it gathers at the stoma and Fluid causes it to swell and rice can be very sticky too. Drinking fluids or eating more food only causes the pouch to stretch since they can't pass the blockage of rice and tuna and the rice absorbs the Fluid making it bigger. This is a stuck episode imo which can be very painful or uncomfortable. Tuna is dry and dry foods are also very difficult for many of us. Sounds like the fluoroscope might be the thing you need to get a proper fill. Just be aware of foods that can cause you problems.

tmf