Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here

Guest heather

Guest heather

I am new to this site. I have already posted several messages. I was wanting to see the responses to decided if I wanted to stay here or not.

I found this site by luck. It has really helped so far. It has made me feel comfortable spilling my guts out to anyone who cared to listen. I really need some support in my battle over the "what ifs" of having Lap Band.

I feel good knowing that there are people out there who felt the same way, and I enjoy reading all the stories they they have to offer.

This is a great support for those in need.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. My name is Heather. I am 25 and currently weighing 245ish at 5'6". BMI is around 37.8.

Heather, best of luck to you on your journey! Research, research, research. The more info. you can get the better. Do you have any co-morbidities (health problems- like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.)? Are you going thorough your health ins. or out of the country? Have you decided on a particular dr. yet? How about follow-up care? There's a lot of homework for you to do - before you are banded. Remember, we're not Drs. or in the medical field, just Banded patients sharing (sometimes too much) our experiences. Please keep us posted! :D

Guest heather

Luckily I have no other health problems such as high blood pressure or diabetes. I have just recently started aching in my right hip joint, and the right side of my lower back catches sometimes and hurts for hours.

Other than those two things, I have no other problems. I have not decided on a doctor yet. I have called a couple to get their state license numbers to check about any malpractice suits. I am also checking references ( a couple gave me first names and numbers of past patients). I have been told to make sure that the doc performs at least 10 a week, and has been certified to do the surgery. I am also looking for one that offers follow up care as well, instead of sending me to another doctor to do it. They are rare, but there are some out there. So, I am still looking.

I want to see what my ins. will pay. I have an HMO, BUT, in Jan. 05 they are suppose to pay for surgeries of this sorts, IF it is medically necessary. I have talked with my PCP, he agrees that it is, and he will send any documentation to prove that.

I am going to do all the research I can until Jan. then I will decide to go on from there. My head and heart are telling me to go for it, but this little me sitting on my shoulder is crying for me not to. I haven't figured out where she came from!!!!

Heather

Hi Heather..we all have had our share of "what if's" but I will tell you this..there was no greater " what if" then

What if I do not have this surgery and I die from a heart attack before I see my kids grow old ...everything we do in life is a risk..this risk for me was so worth taking. I'm happier and healthier then I have been in years and when I'm happier and healthier, my hubby and kids are happier.

This is an awesome site for support. Many of the poeple here have lots of knowledge about the band for us newbies

Good Luck to you with your decision..

Heather, you can also check if a Dr. has a website. That gave me a lot of info.- medical training, professional experience, surgical experience, etc. Good luck!:D

Hi Heather,

Nice to meet you. It sounds like you are doing a good job researching. Ask if you have any questions about anything in particular. Somebody here always has an answer. I personally love my band, have had it 4 months, found this site by accident also and freaked when I thought I had lost it on my favorites list one time. I am 30 years old, no kids yet but lots of pets. Good luck in your decision, Teresa

Dr. Lopez (Tijuana Mexico)

5/8/04

362/302/???

Welcome Heather. You are so fortunate that at your young age, you may have the choice to do something like this for your future. If I have any regrets, it is that I was not able to do this sooner.

Read everything. We'll help you all we can, but the archives is definitely your friend! There are many personal and professional websites on the net also, just search for 'adjustable gastric band' or 'Lapband' and you will find plenty to keep you busy.

Good luck with your journey!